MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission light on:
Message reads; Secure vehicle with parking brake when stopped. Consult service center.
Mini told me I need a Selector Lever and Up Grade Programing. $2000,00
Has anyone had this problem? My Mini is a 2015 4 door base model.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Manual or Auto?

You should get at least another independent opinion.

You should try and get some sort of goodwill from Mini as it's still under 5 years and the transmission would be expected to last longer than 5 years of use.

· Registered
3 Posts
Gentlemen,
That transmission warning is the sign of $1,500 - $2,000 for a new gear selector box, not just a shift lever. You can get the parts online for around $550.00 and replace it yourself. One word of advice, if you don't have a lift it can be a difficult repair. If anyone is interested I can get into detail what you need to do to complete the repair.

· Registered
1 Posts
Gentlemen,
That transmission warning is the sign of $1,500 - $2,000 for a new gear selector box, not just a shift lever. You can get the parts online for around $550.00 and replace it yourself. One word of advice, if you don't have a lift it can be a difficult repair. If anyone is interested I can get into detail what you need to do to complete the repair.
I also have this problem, how to repair? Could you told me!🙏🏻

· Registered
3 Posts
Transmission light on:
Message reads; Secure vehicle with parking brake when stopped. Consult service center.
Mini told me I need a Selector Lever and Up Grade Programing. $2000,00
Has anyone had this problem? My Mini is a 2015 4 door base model.
I feel bad about your post. I did my own repair on the shift selector. Unless you have a lift to get under the car and you are a very talented mechanic I would not recommend changing the selector yourself.
It is because of the shift selector and oil cooler on my 2017 Mini Cooper that I will never purchase or recommend any Mini or BMW vehicle. I feel they should stand behind their product knowing that many owners have experienced the same problems. I hope that someone from a MIni dealership reads this about the pieces of shit they are selling with zero customer service.

· Registered
3 Posts
I also have this problem, how to repair? Could you told me!🙏🏻
Remove the center consol
remove the exhaust
remove the heat shields
remove the battery
remove the plastic piece adjoining winshield
remove the battery tray
move the computers aside to reach cable retainers
remove the airbox
Tie a piece of line to the old cable to be used to pull the new one in
Reverse everything to put it back together
Good Luck! I would not recommend this job for the inexperienced mechanic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.