MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When washing my MINI today which I went on to polish I started off with the bonnet, and started to polish quite hard to make it really shine, but without realising at first - the grove in the middle of the bonnet - where it goes up in the middle a little....nearer the badge I must of had to much pressure on the cloth I was using and I caused it to cave in!!! or like a 7cm circle right on the end of the grove - hard to explain but I hope you get what I mean...! I then realised I must of done it and paniced!! It looked strange so I popped the bonnet up and thank god I put pressure on the inside of the bonnet to make the dent pop up/out again, phewwwwwwwwww - I thought the MINI had tough metal! But maybe not? Its ok now thank god! Could if of been the heat today? although I did this at 8pm my MINI is black and the bodywork would of been hot today as it was like 28C+ with the sun on it.

So just a warning - when polishing/washing your MINI - dont apply too much pressure on the middle bit of the bonnet just before it goes down to the badge! Or this will happen! Just been out there to have a look at my 2 hours polishing it - and it looks showroom! yay

Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
241 Posts
It is ok nothing to worry about, glad no damage was done. Bonnets are made like that for pedestrian safety. Mind you the heat will have played a part, also maybe using too much pressure when polishing.

Similar thing happened when my brother had a 2003 Clio, but the metal was so thin that it popped back by itself. Always be careful in the centre of large panels of bodywork.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey mate im a PDR Technition,The heat would have sertainly caused the dent in ya bonnet.Be careful when its real hot.I mean i fix that stuff all the time in the bonnets,Tailgates,Roofs.Peoples hand marks slamming polishing ECT.When its colder its harder to work the metal,Harder to dent the panels.

Be careful dude,It can be fixed but will cost ya a few bucks ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Im pleased it as at the front of the bonnet rather than further back on the bonnet, as it was easy to pop back out again as there was none of that black cover under the bonnet which would of had to of come off for me to get to it dent.

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
I had some....youf....jump on my old Cooper's bonnet a few years ago. Didn't notice the dent till the next day and it was quite an indentation in the bonnet, which a mechanic managed to get out with some gentle hammer tapping and some kind of heating implement.

Got it out great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts