MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Aussies:

I have spoken to my dealer about installing springs (Eibach progressive rate) to my car...

They have informed me that any modification to the car that is not a BMW official part will void my warranty...

I have heard of other dealers fitting Eibachs as they believe they are a quality product, but my dealer serviceman told me my Pipercross will void my warranty on the entire car....

What are your thoughts?

Mod heads?

Racers?

General punks?:D

I'm loathed to do anything with my car if in the dealers eyes - it will void the warranty... theoretically the OSRAM diadium globes would void the warrrany:(

Todd

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
they can only deny warranty claims that are directly caused by the modification, and the onus is on them to prove that the modification caused the problem.

edit: so (in theory) from fitting the springs they could deny warranty claims for rattles, faulty suspension, body cracks etc etc.....

edit 2: [insert standard disclaimer here]

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gazah said:
Nah, Im serious GAZ:p

I just wanted to hear peoples experience, so I can quote cases when I get in shyte:D

How can an afteramarket CAI damage a motor - it breathes better, more efficient etc.??

Spose I will be holding onto my runflats too, that'll void it too:eek:

Todd

·
Registered
799 Posts
MickyD "they can only deny warranty claims that are directly caused by the modification, and the onus is on them to prove that the modification caused the problem."

Yes, and you need lots and lots of time, and another vehichle to drive, and lots and lots of money for your legal costs, 'casue if they dig their heals in you gotta prove they're digging their heals in.....better to use a sympathetic service department. I visit one the first Sunday of the month....

I'm useless today.

·
M2 Procrastinator
1,817 Posts
MickyD said:
the onus is on them to prove that the modification caused the problem
not so sure this is the case in australia micky... but even if it was, they could still 'cause a whole lotta fuss!

i've got a non-mod-friendly dealer & wouldn't expect an easy run if i had issues... i mean it'd take you a lot of work to 'prove' a CAI didn't cause an issue related to increased power output or something!? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Todd,

Big brother might suggest you're outside of warranty anywho after some of your
shinanigans.....did someone say 'track'.....

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never been on a track...

I just shread them on the road.

Todd

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I am interested in is the 'BLANKET' warranty coverage of the car...

I pretty sure I have heard that Robbo was taking maddie in and Trelo was too when they both had mods done... just dont want to get the rough end of the stick.

Its also hard for me to travel to a Melbourne dealer everytime I have to put my car in for work, so it is the worst case senario... the local one is just down the road from me.

Todd

·
Registered
64 Posts
"they can only deny warranty claims that are directly caused by the modification, and the onus is on them to prove that the modification caused the problem."
With my experiences with this, only the first part of the above statement is true.

With aftermarket springs they'd stop warranty on suspension and drive shafts, CV's etc. if they wanted to get narky

I'd be giving both BMW and consumer affairs a call to clarify if it worries you.

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will wait for the serviceman to get back to me before I do anything.

I was just interested to hear peoples experiences in the situation with the particular interest to Australia.

The interesting thing with the Eibachs is that they are progressive rate, so basically they are softer than factory in the first part of travel, but firm up as load increase, this would take the edge out of the harshness that the stock ones have and would most likely reduce the rattles.... (maybe:p)

Todd

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
hey, ive got an Alta CAI and the dealer said nothing and ive had repair work carried out whilst the CAI was on...

Also.. when i first got the car they had brochures at the dealer for pipercross intakes!! they had a pipercross intake on one of the demo coopers also!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
bkwalker said:
hey, ive got an Alta CAI and the dealer said nothing and ive had repair work carried out whilst the CAI was on...

Also.. when i first got the car they had brochures at the dealer for pipercross intakes!! they had a pipercross intake on one of the demo coopers also!!
hey which dealer are u bkwalker? :D i'm probably going to get an Alta CAI as well.

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
erichui said:
hey which dealer are u bkwalker? :D i'm probably going to get an Alta CAI as well.
Col Crawford Brookvale on the northernn beaches..

excellent dealership.. even though ive had to drop the car off there a few times; the service has been excellent, i'd recommend them to anyone :)

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

Warranty is a grey area

I know several people who have had major problems on BMW's once they are out of warranty, but they have been fixed, no questions asked. However, these were loyal customers, whose cars had been serviced by the book, and the failures were obviously component failure, rather than abuse. I also know of several stories from the BMW club, where people have had seemingly legitimate warranty claims denied, because of modifications.

As far as I am aware, the warranty can only be denied if the modification is directly responsible. This is a grey area unfortunatley. For instance if you put on ultra-stiff springs, and your radio fails, is it because of a component failure or is it due to excessive vibration? A friendly dealer will just fix it, and tough one will give you a hard time :mad:

My advice would be to develop a good relationship with your service manager. Also, if in doubt, don't modify the car. If you are worried about losing you warranty, then dont do it. Wait until the 2 years is up and then do it :D

Also, allways be completely upfront with your dealer. If something breaks or goes wrong on the car, don't lie about any relevant mods. If they find out you have misled them, they will reasonably assume that you have lied about other things, including mods, and the circumstances of the component failure etc.

Also, as far as I am aware there are no problems with tracking your car on driver training days, club days etc with warranty. I have had a few problems fixed on my car after turning up at the dealership on track tyres and my helmet under my arm ;)

However, if you race the car, then it is all voided.

Cheers

Robbo

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I asked the serviceman how much it would cost me to have the Eibachs installed, so I obviously wasnt trying to hide anything... I have no plans of doing any mod that wouldn't stand out like dogs balls to the average mechanic, so I'm not trying to hide anything.

I just wanted to add the springs, then maybe put a swaybar and a reduction pulley down the track... Tim has proved that the car can more than perform with as little as the above...

...but they have taken a bit of a hardline on it all.:(

Todd

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
bkwalker said:
Col Crawford Brookvale on the northernn beaches..

excellent dealership.. even though ive had to drop the car off there a few times; the service has been excellent, i'd recommend them to anyone :)
I agree! I have bought 3 MINIS from them and they always are professional in our dealings and the Service Department fix our problems -however sometimes taking a couple of goesto solve the probllem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts