MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to keep her! :D

She's a 2003 Mini Cooper S in Dark Silver (he best & fastest colour!!!). :p

Anyway, I've checked out Lohen and BBR and I think Lohen seems the best right now.

Considering it would cost me over £1000 extra to insure the M3, I've decided to lob the cash at the MCS instead.

What I'm thinking is a 210bhp upgrade kit, carbon scoop (because I'm a bling whore) and I really fancy those Lohen stripes! :redface:

I'm also going to get my alloys refurbed in MATT black. Should look pretty good I think!

Any thoughts on the above? Anywhere other than Lohen or BBR? Lohen seem to have a good rep and their 210bhp upgrade kit is bloody cheap! :aargh:

So glad I'm keeping it now. :biggrin:

·
Registered
158 Posts
What about GTT?

Good move on the M3. My mate has one that he is slowly modifying into a DRT (Dedicated Ring Toy). I haven't driven it since it was standard, but it didn't feel fast at all (though I know it is fairly quick as I only just gained on it up Ex Muhle in a 315bhp 944 Turbo when I was on my own and he was two-up and it's steep up there). It's also an old car compared with the Mini and it would feel like one.

I sounds like your car is going to look a lot like mine. Another mate has a business that does decals and he makes Lohen style stripes for the Cooper S, but I'm not sure I want them on my DS and black with black wheels. His Mini stuff is here: Mini

I'd recommend satin rather than matt black personally on the wheels.

Attachments

·
Miss Independent
791 Posts
Nice car :cool:

·
258.3bhp and 263.1Nm
699 Posts
Yeah, sometimes i look at dark silver MCS's and think maybe i should have bought it in that colour!

Very nice car, and Lohen are good but there are many Tuners out there, maybe its worth ringing round and getting the best price!

Alex

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice car.
M3 would be in another league though (ducks for cover) i understand the insurance issue.
The e36 M3 wouldn't be. The e36 was far and away the worst M3 variant ever made - they even made a 4 door for heaven's sake! Also as I said above they don't feel fast and there is nothing worse than a fast car that feels slow (give me a slow car that feels fast over that any day). Even the e46 M3 doesn't feel that fast and while they all have lovely engines that sound great you are literally doing 70+mph in second gear by the time you hit the redline (and hence get to hear the wonderful noise). They also have a very poor manual shift compared to the Mini (or even a Ford Capri for that matter) and you don't want to go near an SMG e36. Consider also that if you get an Evo with Vanos it will cost 3 grand to fix it at some point if you keep it for long enough (or buy it at the wrong time).

They are also of a different era inside (and outside for that matter, though you don't have see that so much), they are liable to be rusty etc. etc.

I know all this as I nearly bought an e36 Evo cabrio, I nearly bought an e46 SMG cabrio, I nearly bought an M Roadster with the e46 M3 engine and lastly I nearly bought a CSL. The CSL would have been awesome and because it was so noisy it seemed quick - that and the fact it was so beautifully balanced I had it sideways on roundabouts on the test drive - but it drove totally differently to even an SMG coupe. In the end I bought an RS6 Avant which felt as fast as it was (it kept up with a 360 Spyder, and an M12 GTO among others), but it was too quick for the road and too heavy for the track.

Overall for the real world an MCS is a good balance. It's (nearly) quick enough, handles well, is fun at legal and not immensely illegal speeds and isn't French like most of the other fun cars in its class are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts