MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Yeeeees!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The washer jets ( front and rear!) on my S decided to stop working on Sunday!
Was on my way back from Aberdeen on the motorway and it happened. One minute they were fine and then nothing! Clearly they must be blocked somehow or maybe its the pump as there's no way they could all go at once.
Worst thing is it happening on the Motorway, low winter sun in the face & wet mucky roads into the bargain!! Could only travel a few miles before the screen had a white film over it, kinda like a net curtain had been thrown over the screen.

Going into the dealer on Thursday for a few other niggles, anyone else had this happen?
We've all had blocked jets from time to time but i have a feeling this might be pump related.

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Does the pump make a noise when you try to spray?
Does the rear washer work?
Are you sure there's water in the tank (sorry for such an obvious question :eek:)
Are you sure the nozzles didn't freeze up?

·
Yeeeees!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ButtonIt said:
Does the pump make a noise when you try to spray?
Does the rear washer work?
Are you sure there's water in the tank (sorry for such an obvious question :eek:)
Are you sure the nozzles didn't freeze up?
All washers stopped working at the same time, water reservoir is full and the temp was well above freezing. Added to that they still are not working.
Pump is making a noise but it doesn't sound good. I guess this could be it toiling if the line is blocked either that or its on its last legs.
I assumed there would be some sort of filter on the line, does anyone know if there is???

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
not sure about a filter :confused:

how about if you run the washers for a minute or two while the vehicle is standing? does the level drop? does a puddle appear under the car?

Maybe the hose has come off?? otherwise I'd say there's either a blockage or the pump's had it :(

·
Yeeeees!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ButtonIt said:
not sure about a filter :confused:

how about if you run the washers for a minute or two while the vehicle is standing? does the level drop? does a puddle appear under the car?

Maybe the hose has come off?? otherwise I'd say there's either a blockage or the pump's had it :(
Tried this too i am getting a dribble - if you could call it that -the jets are bubbling foam when i try the washers so a little air is getting there but nothing else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any updates on the washer situation? Mine did something similar today. I hit the washer once, and got a very brief stream before they stopped. Did the rear washer, and it lasted for one good spray. The reservoirs were empty, so I when I stopped a few miles later for gas I filled up both of them with washer fluid. When I tried to spray the front windscreen no fluid came out though I heard the pump working. The headlight washers and the rear washer have stopped working as well.

It is very cold here (14F), but this is my third winter with the car and I've never had a problem before. Also, I've ran the reservoirs dry several times since there is no warning light.

I thought maybe the pump had lost its prime, so I tried it again multiple times over the next 30 minutes of my drive, though only for a second or two each time. Now I don't even here the pump anymore.

Scott

·
Yeeeees!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The washers are fixed now, i had the car into the garage last week. Apparently one of the hoses had come detached but I'm not sure that i believe this as there was no puddle under the car when i was trying to get the washers to work.
Suggest you get the car into the dealer and let them have a look , the hose assembly may be difficult to see and access due to the lack of space under the hood of the 'S'
The work was carried out under the warranty so you may as well take it in rather than try to fix it yourself.

Regards

George

·
Registered
314 Posts
Damn it!

This EXACT situation happened to me.

Here in NYC it was down to 14C without the wind chill............

I had run out of fluid last night, filled it up, everything worked fine.

Started up this morning fine, good for one squirt in the front, one in the back, and then no juice but you could hear the motor.

Now I don't hear the motor anymore ( I do hear the headlight washers but don't get me started on how much of a waste those are).

I had some extra fluid in the car from the night before....and when I got to my car this evening to go home, I noticed that the fluid was partially FROZEN though it was inside my car that was parked in a garage (granted it was a semi open, multi floor garage but it was DAMN COLD today).

I only noticed it was partially frozen as I poured some into the reservoir.

I noticed that the washer jets were liquidy after I got home....which suggests that the heating part of the system was working...but I was getting no juice.

I had to have to go to the dealer with this sort of problem....

Does anyone else know where the hose is that needs to be re-attached? Could it be such a simple problem? If so, why don't we hear the motor run?

·
Yeeeees!
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't inquire as to where the hose had separated, to be honest i was just glad to have them fixed!
And as for those feckin headlight washers , more trouble than they are worth if you ask me! One of mine fell off after owning the car for two days , took it onto the dealer and they wanted £46.00 for the parts!! When i asked why they said 'its a moving pert and not covered under the warranty Needless to say ( and after i went friggin nuts ) i didn't pay anything and they fixed it under the warranty.

PS love NYC , got married there in May and its just the best place to be!

Let me know how you get on with the washers

Regards

George

·
Registered
314 Posts
Working!

After it warmed up to a whopping 41 degrees F this afternoon, the washer jets finally started working again.

I listened and heard the washer pump/motor running this morning after I drove into work.

Still didn't work....but when I went home they finally kicked in.

I think I will try the "cut-the-insulation-out-from-around-the-washer-jets" fix..........

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Stupid question, but are you not using winter screen wash fluids? You should be using 100% concentrate anti freeze screen washer fluid - I buy it in 5 litre cans during winter, and don't mix any water with it..... it may feel expensive at first, but its better than an accident caused by dirty windscreens after freeze up.

Don't forget, the washer fluid bottles are actually quite remote from the warmth of the engine - tucked away in the wheel arches. I would guess that your fluid got frozen in the pump/lines. Heated washer jets won't help you.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
Stupid question, but are you not using winter screen wash fluids? You should be using 100% concentrate anti freeze screen washer fluid - I buy it in 5 litre cans during winter, and don't mix any water with it..... it may feel expensive at first, but its better than an accident caused by dirty windscreens after freeze up.

Don't forget, the washer fluid bottles are actually quite remote from the warmth of the engine - tucked away in the wheel arches. I would guess that your fluid got frozen in the pump/lines. Heated washer jets won't help you.....
I just use the stuff they have at the local garage (here in the US it's already premixed)...been using it for three years in my other car with no problem...... I'll take a look at the bottle....Maybe that's the problem indeed!

·
Sergeant Pepper
347 Posts
i have the same problem. only with the rear screen washer. If i leave it a while (about a day) it'll give one squirt then die. otherwise if i keep it going nothing happens. Mine is a 2005 One and it's too warm for it to freeze.. around 10 C on average. The front works fine.. ive had it suggested to me that maybe the pump is broken. any ideas on how to fix this one?

·
Registered
362 Posts
The front and rear use the same reservoir and, I think, the same motor. That is why they won't both operate at the same time. I think it is run forward for the front one and reverse for the rear.

It could be a blockage of the pipe to the rear washer, or some of the valves that sort out the flow direction. They are probably part of the motor/pump assembly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mr P said:
I didn't inquire as to where the hose had separated, to be honest i was just glad to have them fixed!
George
Had similar failure of the drivers side (US) washer jet and after removing the bonnet Blanket on the underside of the bonnet... I found the washer realy hose had come disconnected from the passenger side washer nozzle... The T joint is located roughly at the center of the bonnet nearest the back edge.

This is an easy 5 min fix.... now If I could only figure out wy the silly rear washer jet has stopped functioning. :(

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Washers

The washer jets on my 2003 Mini Cooper suddenly failed. I opened the bottle filler cap, left it open and the jets worked fine! I did noticethat the cap does not have a breather hole in it, unlike other cars I have owned, and I wondered if this could be causing an air lock?

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
my front ones were only just dribbling out the other day even though i knew there was plenty of water in the tank. i unhooked the bonnet & found that the hose that runs to the jets was being trapped by the bonnet as it closed.

just a watchout

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.