MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone that has put a deposit in for a Mini Cooper or Mini Cooper S in the DC Metropolitan area, post your desire Mini Cooper (description, aftermarket mods)...

My Mini Cooper will be pure silver body, roof, and caps. The wheels will be 15 inch 8 spokes. Extra features will be the premium package, fog lights, rear view dim mirrors, spoiler, and chrome. I haven't decided on manual or CVT.

For future aftermarket addons, 17 x 8 OZ F1 Racing wheels all around. A clarion lcd monitor for dvd, and television. Brembo Grand Turismo 14 inch brakes. Lowering springs 2 inches all around. Sky blue window tint all around 75%. BMW body kit.

These will be the aftermarket addons when my Mini arrives.

·
Registered
785 Posts
"S", all Red, no options...or...their stripped Electric Blue they get in April.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Not exactly in D.C. but I live 2 hours south in Richmond and placed a deposit in June 2001. I'll take a pre-spec'd car if it's the "right" combo.

I've not decided on which model as I'll wait to test drive both cars. The color will be the same regardless of model which is Indi Blue with white roof and mirrors (alternate is Pure Silver with black roof and mirrors).

If I choose the Cooper I would like the Sport package (16" wheels, rear spoiler, DSC, fog lamps, sport seats), chrome trim, xenon headlights, and multifunction steering wheel. Some accessories I might buy would be the Union Jack or Checkerboard roof and the BBS wheels.

If I choose the Cooper S I would like the xenon headlights and multifunction steering wheel. Same accessory choices as the Cooper.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My main concern about buying a Mini Cooper is where to park the car. I live 10 blocks from Dupont Circle, so the area isn't safe. I'm currently driving a '96 Neon, and they have broken my car's window, door handle, and deflated the tires.

I just hope they won't do that to my Mini. Although, I doubt these hoodlums know what is a Mini Cooper. As long as it's beautiful, they'll touch it.

Too bad there isn't any security system that can prevent these situations.

·
Registered
785 Posts
onLOoker, I hate to say this, but having been working in D.C. and often parking in the area you suggest, I would not want to own ANY flashy car. I drove a 10th Anniversary Miata many days to ABC and never felt safe. I was seriously considering buying TWO MINIs, an "S" to replace my Miata, and a Cooper to become my everyday driver in place of my Passat, but won't do it. I just could not bring myself to buy another flashy car for parking in D.C. If you must have a Cooper, I'd get all black, all BRG, or all Indie Blue. Adding white or any bright color will pop the car out into the open too easily.
Of course, if your like most decent cars in D.C., you'll have plenty of dents and dirt on the car anyway.:rolleyes:

Washington, D.C. - the only place I've seen a 993 Porsche Turbo "S" (re: $110,000 USED) that looked filthy and unkept.:(

edit: just re-read your first post...all Silver might be a safe bet, usually not too flashy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since the last incident with the punctured tires, I have realized two ways to limit any distruction to my car.

1. I live in a ghetto neighborhood. The only way to get these people to accept me is to blend in. When I'm close to driving home, I turn to 95.5 (R&B and Rap radio station). Therefore, if everyone notice you're listening to their music then they'll know you're one of them.

2. I wash my car once every month. Regardless if the car is filled with bird do-do, dust, or covered leaves. A great way to disguise a beautiful car.

These two methods has work for me since the last incident.

Regarding the color of the car, I know anything bright will grab alot of attention where ever you go. Especially in a neighborhood like this, any bright color should be avoided. I have decided down to few colors, pure silver, cosmo black, velvet red, or indi blue. Whichever of these color should blend into the surroundings.

About spotting any expensive cars parked in DC, the most expensive and popular car I've ever seen parked in DC is a Lamborghini Countache. I'm not sure if it's a replica or the real deal. Other than that, I saw few hoodlums driving a Dodge Viper RT/10, and few Mercedes SLK.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
onLOoker said:
My main concern about buying a Mini Cooper is where to park the car. I live 10 blocks from Dupont Circle, so the area isn't safe. I'm currently driving a '96 Neon, and they have broken my car's window, door handle, and deflated the tires.

I just hope they won't do that to my Mini. Although, I doubt these hoodlums know what is a Mini Cooper. As long as it's beautiful, they'll touch it.
onLOoker said:

For future aftermarket addons, 17 x 8 OZ F1 Racing wheels all around. A clarion lcd monitor for dvd, and television. Brembo Grand Turismo 14 inch brakes. Lowering springs 2 inches all around. Sky blue window tint all around 75%. BMW body kit.
... and a sign that says STEAL ME ;)

Sorry ... I just couldn't resist :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now, I'm skeptical about buying a Mini Cooper and parking it in my neighborhood.

Few hours ago, I realized someone stomped on the roof of my Neon. I was getting ready to sell it. After this problem, I am not sure if I should the Mini Cooper at all.

If they are willing to mess with my Neon, then I'm sure they'll mess with the Mini Cooper.

I really regret buying a house in this neighborhood.

·
Registered
785 Posts
MOVE!

I know this sounds very sinical, but I would've NEVER choosen the city if you're a auto enthusiast. I work in D.C. mostly, and look at the town I live in. It's cheaper AND safer. The best I can tell you is that you honestly need to pick a better place to live if you're going to own a nice car. That nice car may get a lot of mileage, but it's better than having the roof stomped in.
Figure out how much you spend in rent/mortgage each year, then work yourself WAY outside the beltway into a mortgage that costs you even less.

I'm sorry for your damage and I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, Dupont Circle is a rough place to live.......my father worked down there for 15 years (we lived in Reston).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts