MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologies in in advance if this as been covered before. I have a 2003 S with a sunroof. I have water (not coolant) collecting just below the BCM on the passenger floor board area. I have checked the sunroof drain by pouring water down from the top and water comes out just behind the passenger front tire. So I don't think it is the sunroof drain - it could be if somehow some of the water is getting diverted but it certainly is not 100% plugged. There are no visible water damage to the headliner.

I have pulled the A-Pillar cover back to see if there was any indication there - everything around the air back seemed clean and dry.

I have pulled the the carpet partially back and pulled the door seal off and I see no visible signs of water egress. The harness to that feeds the bottom of the BCM is wet but very quickly transitions to dry as it works it way up the corner of firewall/bulkhead and side kick panel. Reaching up behind the glove box area - the harness is bone dry.

I had the car dried out - in my garage. I pulled it outside into our driveway which has a slight downward pitch. It is parked currently "nose down" and after one day of rain - the water in the footwell area returned with no driving.

The water is coming from somewhere - any ideas on where it could be coming from? Thank you in advance.

Eric

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
I would pull the cowl induction off where the Windshield wiper motor is at and check to see what might be going on there!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would pull the cowl induction off where the Windshield wiper motor is at and check to see what might be going on there!
You can't do this on a gen 1 Mini as they are fixed. You can look underneath the cowl to make the sure drain pipes are not blocked inside the scuttle.

Try lifting up the door rubbers along the bottom. If they are wet inside the groove that goes over the flange on the car, then there is your point of entry. The water gets in at the top and runs along inside the rubber then when it gets to the bottom it can spill inside. Very common problem.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
You can't do this on a gen 1 Mini as they are fixed. You can look underneath the cowl to make the sure drain pipes are not blocked inside the scuttle.

Try lifting up the door rubbers along the bottom. If they are wet inside the groove that goes over the flange on the car, then there is your point of entry. The water gets in at the top and runs along inside the rubber then when it gets to the bottom it can spill inside. Very common problem.
yes i've seen many do that with age got one turning up next week with same issues and well wet inside and bcm got damp and all dash lights gone out ,, a day of seats out and carpets and foam under them to dry it out and also remove the bcm leave in airing cupboard over night will fix that normally,, i also seen a lot where rear lights leak as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I have already taken the BCM out - its inside where I can keep it dry. I will check the drains for the cowl drains and the door seals.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Thanks guys! I have already taken the BCM out - its inside where I can keep it dry. I will check the drains for the cowl drains and the door seals.
i put the bcm in plastic bag and cable tie it around the wiring when dry and refit it just protects it form getting wet again,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a major issue these past few months with water egress to rear drivers side floor about an inch, no noticeable leaks. It would abate but then a month ago after heavy rains, egree to the drivers side front floor. After major tropical storm, 10 days ago, started noting random alerts, e.g. light out, door open but all were false. Saturday car stalled in parking lot and wouldnt restart. Brought to dealer and told that it would require an investigation by removing carpet and seats to get to the consoles which they believed to be water damaged given previous experience. I really enjoy these helpful tips but has anyone had experience with identifying this as a recall issue that is reimbursable by Mini rather than passing this on to next generation Mini owners and saving people time and money.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I had a major issue these past few months with water egress to rear drivers side floor about an inch, no noticeable leaks. It would abate but then a month ago after heavy rains, egree to the drivers side front floor. After major tropical storm, 10 days ago, started noting random alerts, e.g. light out, door open but all were false. Saturday car stalled in parking lot and wouldnt restart. Brought to dealer and told that it would require an investigation by removing carpet and seats to get to the consoles which they believed to be water damaged given previous experience. I really enjoy these helpful tips but has anyone had experience with identifying this as a recall issue that is reimbursable by Mini rather than passing this on to next generation Mini owners and saving people time and money.
only way pull seats out and carpets and get someone to use a hose pipe all around the area you suspect while your sat inside with a torch looking for the running water all round the doors and gaps etc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts