MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hei Kiwi, take the car to an authorized dealer and get them to highpressure spray the car with water. With a mechanic inside the cabin they will be able see where the leak is - perhaps they might have to strip down parts of the interior.

I´ve had this done at Bilsalongen in Skien, and you can refer your dealers to this garage if they are in doubt.

BMW-Norway give an extra goodwill year of warranty to all their vehicles sold in Norway in addition to the factory´s two - if sold new by an authorized dealer. The factory warranty is short here compared to the UK or the states. Pity.

Ellers ønsker jeg deg lykke til!

·
Never to old to have fun
320 Posts
This may be of use to Clubbie owners who get water in the spare wheel well...

1st photo - left hand rear centre door seal had come away from the door at the bottom, I'd not noticed but was enough to allow water to seep through.....

2nd photo - shows a small channel were the water seeps though and gathers in......

3rd photo - shows the lock cut away/slot which is at the back of the channel, the water in the channel runs into this cutout and down into the boot/spare wheel well.....

Fix is to fit a new door seal, done under warranty :smile:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Leak in Mini One

I recently noticed when i open the boot of my One, That water is running down into my boot and the carpet underneath close to my jack is soaking wet through but nothing inside my boot is wet. Does any one else have this problem and if so how can this problem be solved?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Water in the Boot

I recently noticed when i open the boot of my One, That water is running down into my boot and the carpet underneath close to my jack is soaking wet through but nothing inside my boot is wet. Does any one else have this problem and if so how can this problem be solved?

Thanks
Hi I have today bought a 2001 plate mini one and this too has the same problem the area under the boot cover is always wet when it rains!! Can anybody tell me how I can fix this problem or how I can prevent the boot from rotting and getting rusty?
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

I have a 05 Cooper S Works and i have had this problem. What a stupid problem. I didnt actually realise as the boot is not a place i go often and in the middle of nowhere on Monday my engine dies, total loss of power everywhere.

I called the RAC out, they wanted to check the battery but we couldnt open the boot because of no electric lol. finally got in via the rear seats, lifted the carpet and the that well was full of water and also the set of tools floating.
RAC man took everything apart and bodged it back together so i could get home and in the end the parts were only around £20 from BMW but its not something you every expect to be a problem.
So keep an eye out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive got water in the wheel well too and loads of condensation builds up in the car when it's been sitting overnight.

Recently i took the car to be washed and as the guy ran the power hose along the drivers side water spurted through somewhere and hit me on the back of the neck!!

I've also noticed it sounds to me the suicide door isnt always shut properly as i can hear a lot of road noise.

I'm still under tlc (2008 cooper s clubman, but i've only owned it 3 months) but out of warranty and i've been told even for diagnostics (approx 2 hours) it'll be approx £100 per hour!!! Can this be right? Can anyone suggest an alternative?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I found a cm of water in the spare wheel well of my R55 clubman. Initially the dealer said it was condensation!!! But conceded that there was a problem when the water reappeared after it had been left outside in the rain.

Apparently there is a strip of bitumen or similar inside the rubber door seal which was incomplete and allowing water in.

I'm now keeping a close eye but I must admit that there was still a small amount of water present when I last checked.

Any others still having this issue?

Bozzer

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
You could always drill a drain hole yourself in the spare wheel well, not a very good solution, but if it keeps getting water in and dont know where from, at least there wont be a spare wheel well full of water which might eventually cause rusting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have had this problem, now solved I think.
I was getting litres of water in wheel well. No obvious signs of where it was coming in. I've stripped entire loadspace and diagnosed leak to gap between steel pressings.
If you open both rear doors, in front of you at the bottom of the door aperture, you have a plastic cover over the steel chassis pressing. Take off this cover, you have the door seal and exposed steel in front of you.
To the left and right, there is a join in the pressing to the inner wings housing rear lights.
The water was leaking between the gaps in this join - there is no seam sealer here so, if water finds it's way past the door seal from the top (which is does easily as the fit of the seal is poor) it will pool enough to pass the join and into the well.
Sealed with clear silicon, all good so far.
Hope this helps. Can send pictures if anything unclear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 Cooper S, I hear water running--especially seems to be side to side when I make a quick turn. I think it is inside the hatch door but the floor isn't wet. I'm afraid of rust! It only happens when there is heavy rain. Anyone else with this issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have had this problem, now solved I think.
I was getting litres of water in wheel well. No obvious signs of where it was coming in. I've stripped entire loadspace and diagnosed leak to gap between steel pressings.
If you open both rear doors, in front of you at the bottom of the door aperture, you have a plastic cover over the steel chassis pressing. Take off this cover, you have the door seal and exposed steel in front of you.
To the left and right, there is a join in the pressing to the inner wings housing rear lights.
The water was leaking between the gaps in this join - there is no seam sealer here so, if water finds it's way past the door seal from the top (which is does easily as the fit of the seal is poor) it will pool enough to pass the join and into the well.
Sealed with clear silicon, all good so far.
Hope this helps. Can send pictures if anything unclear.
Pictures would be great! :)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts