MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I love my toy
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
My A/C has been leaking water into the cabin of my mini in the driver footwell. Is this a common problem and how should i go about fixing it? Might this be caused by a plugged a/c drain tube?
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Are you sure it from the A/C? If its a preface lift mini you have then I think they were known to have problems with water ingress into the footwells. Mine certainly did and knackered my BC1 module - Body control unit computer thing - and this cost, including fixing the seals with an updated something, £500!!:angry:. Get the problem fixed asap if you can as fixing the electrics can be costly!

·
I love my toy
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im pretty positive its from the a/c as it only gets wet when i run the a/c. it is only happening in the driver footwell too. also, i know its not from the sunroof because i dont have a sunroof. where are these seals that you are talking about? are they on the floor or the firewall?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi

i have the same issue. Clean water is coming in to the passenger footwell dripping through the pollen filter. This has been happening for a while but i only noticed it when recently fitting rubber mats.

I was told it would be the heating matrix but this is lower than the vent and having stripped out the JCW air filter and matrix cover i am pretty sure this is not the issue. On removal of the filter water can be seen entering via the foam flap further up the vent to centre side of the car. The water is clean and this only happens when its raining and when I have the heating/air con on! (an presumably when flap opens)

some one suggested the seals on the window pillar. Car is a 52 M Cooper S with JCW upgrade

Any advice ?:puzzled:

STEVE (GREENFISH102)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Find out where the drain tube from the A/C evaporator comes out underneath the car, then find some way to determine if it's blocked. You could take it for a run, if nothing comes out of the tube but the carpet is wet then you know the problem.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Did this fix the problem? I have water in footwell but cant see where it coming from, i replaced the foam on the a pillar but that does not seem to have fixed it. I do have air con and more water seems to be on the passenger side than the drivers, plus it seems more central? Its hard to tell because I cant get the carpet up there..

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Some owners here are talking about LH and RH drive countries so driver and passenger footwell descriptions can become confusing!

In the UK RHD if the heater matrix leaks it is usually into the passenger footwell area and smells of antifreeze. The pollen filter is also on this side and there have been reports by some in the past of rainwater leaking from this area.

As said if you have A/C......the evaporator rad inside the black plastic heater housing assembly behind the dash gets very cold and produces water condensation which should drain out underneath the car unless outlet hose is blocked or split.
See Item 7 Condensation water outlet hose in diagram link below:
RealOEM.com BMW R50 Cooper Housing parts, heater and air condit.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Some owners here are talking about LH and RH drive countries so driver and passenger footwell descriptions can become confusing!

In the UK RHD if the heater matrix leaks it is usually into the passenger footwell area and smells of antifreeze. The pollen filter is also on this side and there have been reports by some in the past of rainwater leaking from this area.

As said if you have A/C......the evaporator rad inside the black plastic heater housing assembly behind the dash gets very cold and produces water condensation which should drain out underneath the car unless outlet hose is blocked or split.
See Item 7 Condensation water outlet hose in diagram link below:
RealOEM.com BMW R50 Cooper Housing parts, heater and air condit.
Thanks man. Its definetely not antifreeze, its water for sure. So am I therefore to assume its definetely coming in from the outside? Its not from the AC? I just had the carpet up again, took up the central carpet a little but would need to take off the AC section on the right of passenger side (uk). I just dont get where its coming from now because I thought it was the a pillar, yet now that side is far dryer where as the part near the central pillars is soaked. Not sure what to do about it as Im almost certain its been on the car since new. I wish I could tell where it was coming in.

Also the passenger side is maybe twice as worse as the drivers side which confuses me further :(

Do you think its worth replacing the door seals or are they identical? Its a 2001 51 plate.

I'm considering drilling a hole in the floor as I cant afford to replace front windscreen for example and I don't know where its coming from.

*update no need to drill hole as there is a hole in floor, although the rubber seal fell out into the next part, so the floor has two layers, in turn that also has a hole, so I can see ground. This might hopefully drain out some of the water...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts