MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

not found this exact problem on the forum so here goes.

I have just fitted rubber mats and have noticed I have a water drip on the passengers side in to the foot well. On further examination the water is coming out of the micro filter box and having removed the filter I cannot see where this originates from.

Can anyone advise. Is water leaking in from outside or from the cooling system ? I has been pretty wet last few days so cant pinpoint the source. Car is a 52 Cooper S (with JCW upgrade)

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I have a spare complete MINI heater unit out the car (for retro fitting air con) and there appears to be no way for water to enter the car other than from a leaking heater matrix which is near the passenger footwell on a RH drive MINI.
Realoem.com diagram of heater unit (LH drive unit shown with cabin /pollen filter on RH side):-
RealOEM.COM BMW R50 One 1.6i ACTUATOR, HEATER AND AIR CONDIT.

Check also for leaks from windscreen and front pillars, etc.
Other signs of a leaking heater matrix are often smells of antifreeze in the car and steaming up of the windscreen with the heater blower on hot.
To replace matrix:-
Battery & battery tray has to be removed on a One/Cooper (also probably ECU) but I think only the Air cleaner if a Cooper S, to gain access to the matrix pipe unions on the bulkhead, then the matrix can be pulled out from inside the passengers footwell (behind a black plastic cover) 3 Torx screws hold cover, top one is difficult to get to. Replace the 2 'O' rings on the metal matrix pipes when refitting pipe clamps to new matrix, also bleed all air from the system when refilling.
At least the dash does not have to come out like some cars so labour price should be more reasonable...........or if you are a reasonably confident DIY mechanic you could get the Haynes manual for the full details.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leaking matrix

Thanks for feedback. I will have a look . Water looks pretty clean but leak is definately coming out of pollen filter vent. I will check to see if I am losing water in expansion tank.

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the matrix leaking

Matrix was ok . Leak is above this . Coming in the flap that controls heater direction up inside the vent. Only when it rains and heating/AC is on.

i WILL CONTINUE TO INVESTIGATE:confused:

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Sounds like it maybe the windscreen seal / bulkhead area leaking rain water into the plastic heater/air con housing unit when the flaps are open?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Matrix was ok . Leak is above this . Coming in the flap that controls heater direction up inside the vent. Only when it rains and heating/AC is on.

i WILL CONTINUE TO INVESTIGATE:confused:
Do you have a sun roof? I believe one of the drains from the sun roof casing runs near the filter... Poor some water down it and see if any ends up on the floor.

-Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts