MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a search around and can't find any thread specifically relating to my problem, so I apologise if one already exists.

I'm finding that when I drive my Dooper soon after it's been rained on (pretty much any amount), and I have the window down, the water from the roof gushes in through the open window. I've had many cars over the years, but htis is my first Mini, and I've never experienced this problem to this extent before. When I accelerate, it pours in, when i brake, it pours in; this is through both windows. Obviously it doesnt last long as there's only so much water on the rooftop, but the water that is there, soon ends up inside the car.

On examining the car, it seems that the problem is the apparently inadequate guttering; not only is the gutter very thin, but it tapers to to a seal (hence no gutter at this point) right above the A-pillar.

Has anyone else experienced this? Had a resolution?

Thanks

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Keep your windows shut when the car is very wet, for a moment because...
Obviously it doesnt last long as there's only so much water on the rooftop.
This has been part of the MINI character/design since the first generation, water pouring onto the seats has been discussed a lot on here, so I'm surprised a search didn't turn up a result, but basically that's how it is.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
You get used to it after a while and if your like me, you still dont learn from it :D

Having owned a MINI for 3.5 years, the other day I opened the window, moved off, turned a corner, and proceeded to get awfully wet as the water sitting on the roof came in :p soaked me, water all over the interior door pockets front and rear, all over the steering wheel, seat, floor :D But hey, whack the heater on and bingo your dry again :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This has been part of the MINI character/design since the first generation, water pouring onto the seats has been discussed a lot on here, so I'm surprised a search didn't turn up a result, but basically that's how it is.
I'm guilty of a frugal search then :)

You get used to it after a while and if your like me, you still dont learn from it :D

Having owned a MINI for 3.5 years, the other day I opened the window, moved off, turned a corner, and proceeded to get awfully wet as the water sitting on the roof came in :p soaked me, water all over the interior door pockets front and rear, all over the steering wheel, seat, floor :D But hey, whack the heater on and bingo your dry again :D
thanks to you both for the explanation.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've just been outside to move my car for workmen, opened window as I moved away and got a soaking cos I forgot, again. You're right Jo, you never learn ( I've had a MINI for 7 years)!

·
Registered
63 Posts
For what it's worth, my Panda has a similar design 'characteristic' so that water off the windscreen is scooped up by the wiper and overflows across the A-pillar onto the driver's window. Only solution was to ensure the window was shut when using the wipers. Did I forget occasionally? You betcha.

I'd guess that most modern cars will do something similar as the manufacturers design out guttering to improve the drag co-efficient and reduce wind noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts