MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2009 Mini Cooper S with an n14 engine. I recently tried to replace the water pipe that connects to the water pump and the thermostat but I can’t seem to get the pipe to connected to the water pump. My previous issue was because the pipe and the gasket were starting to wear which lead to a major leak. I was wondering if anybody could give me a couple tips on installing it myself before I resort to taking it to a dealership. Thank you!

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
thermostat off inlet manifold off then you can see the 10mm bolt that holds said pipe to engine block the plastic pipe is a push fit both ends,, warning if pipe has broken will need to remove water pump to check no debris has gone in to water pump impellor ,, if not had water pump in past 70k i would replace with new one anyway and fit new pipe at same time with water pump off,,, i also use wellseal sealant on both ends ,

Reactions: Ladiesman217

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
469 Posts
Mike pretty much wraps that up. I would use O-Ring silicon grease on that O-ring that goes into the hole where the waterpump sits on the otherside. And anywhere else as nessasary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m going to try to reinstall the pipe and put the grease on it. Maybe that’s what’s causing this issue. If worst comes to worst I’m going to try and remove the water pump and see what the deal is. Thanks for the advise guys, I’ve been having issues with this for a while now. This is my first car and I’m kinda learning how I go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not uncommon a piece of the old water pipe gets stuck in there. Did you clean out the water pump side?

dan
I did a while back when I though it was my water pump that was going bad. As I was going through the process of replacing said pump I noticed that the water pipe was starting to wear out and the o ring that was on it broke as I pulled it out with my fingers. I ended up replacing both water pipe and water pump in the end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts