MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can anyone help me with a problem I have with my 03 plate mini one,

When you go through a big-ish puddle it starts miss firing and does not run very well at all, after a while it clears and is ok again,

I thought it was water getting into the air intake but I dont think its that, not very good for a modern car....

Hope someone can help with Ideas,

Cheers Ben :mad::puzzled:

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
How deep is the water?

Have a search for water ingestion, and find out about how you should take it easy through deep water to avoid blowing your engine;)

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Ummm you really need to slow down in water.

As it stands, there are numerous threads on water ingestion with seized engines. You are damaging your engine every time you do this. I would be careful if I were you.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sounds like you might want to take it easy that is either a sizeable deapth of water, or going to quick IMO!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How deep is the water?

Have a search for water ingestion, and find out about how you should take it easy through deep water to avoid blowing your engine;)

Thanks for all your input, but its when we have a lot of standing water on the road after its rained, I thought it miht have been getting into the engine but I now think its electrical,

The water is only puddles on the side of the road etc,

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
286 Posts
If puddles are causing misfiring, you are ingesting water, the coils are too high and well sealed to be involved in it. You could push all the wires on tightly to be sure though. If you are getting enough water to get to the coil, you are submersing the air intake which is much lower and forward, this will lunch your engine but quick due to hydraulic lock in the combustion chambers, bending the rods into U-shapes! Just a warning to the wise. Keep in mind that the combustion chambers hold less than 100cc's each at TDC, this is very little water!

·
Registered
286 Posts
By the way, this issue worried me, so when Ireplacede my airbox due to the ubiquitous clip breakage, I made the drain hole somewhat larger in the bottom, just a little less worry. It won't affect the air filtration and it may let any water that finds its way in out the bottom before it goes to the intake manifoild.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your input,

I will have to keep on investigating with some of the tips you have all given.

as for not driving when its rained and puddles appear on the side of the road will be a little hard to avoid...... but I do try to keep away from them

thanks again.......

PS oh somone said I might have a hair line crack in the ht leads but I think they are to high to do this..........

Cheers

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
How deep are the puddles? couple of inches?? If they are a foot then maybe slow down but normal thin standing water shouldnt be causing you a problem. So if thats the case I wont go overboard like everyone above....

Check all the plugs for the coil pack, O2 sensors, throttle and angle sensors are properly installed by removing and refitting them. All the important ones have rubber seals.

·
Registered
199 Posts
just a thought... it's not your traction control going a bit mad is it? I've hit standing water (shallow stuff, not deep puddles) and the car has aqua-planed slightly. This enough to get the traction control light flashing once or twice which can give the impression that the car is misfiring as the TC cuts the power

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks cooperSMARK but its not got traction control so wont be that, its only a baby one......

Thanks MINI-Morgan........ Yes it happens in shallow puddles, its as though it electronic......and its not getting into the engine thats for sure..... I have had a problem with the electronic throttle in the past so it could be that, its never been replaced just un plugged and re plugged which sorted the problem out.....

So this could be the problem..... I will have a look into this, thanks you have been really helpful...

:smile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts