MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Person, mostly
3,096 Posts
I Well, I had to mess around a fair amount and double back more than a few times, but I finally figured out how to fill the design on a Whalen reallllllllllllly nicely and very easily. :D :D :D

I'll be selling the technique on eBay starting at $15. ;)

JK. :rolleyes:

Final technique is soooooooooooooooo simple!!!!!

I used Rustoleum Oil Based Protective Enamel.

8oz tin was something around $5 (?) I think. Anyway, not much. And I still have enough left over for another hundred knobs.

I took a paper towel, dipped it in the paint and just kind of blotted it into the grooves. The effect that worked the best was getting it so that there was a thin film over the whole design area, and the design itself showed through darker than the rest. IOW not so heavy that you can't see it anymore, but heavy enough that the grooves are filled evenly.

Next part was the :cool: bit. I tried I don't know how many ways to get the excess paint off without pulling paint out of the design. The best way by far: wait just a few minutes, and take a small pad of paper, like a postit note pad, and holding it fairly flat, just rub over the painted areas. When it gets too much paint on the page just tear it off and start on the next. It took a little bit to get all the extra off, but you can rub as hard as you want because the paper isn't going to absorb below the surface of the ball.

I left it over night and did it one more time, but really there was hardly any improvement.

And here's what it looks like :)

·
Proud New Owner!
93 Posts

The coloured dots in the centre of the atom are copper and brass pins.
I have to say that I love this design! The bead-blasted knob, the atomic design and especially the look of the copper and brass pins!! How did you come up with the idea of the pins?

Edited to read: :eek: Shoot. I'm sorry about posting a comment/question in this thread!! Maybe someone will move it to a more appropriate one?

·
Registered
352 Posts
puck said:
Well, I had to mess around a fair amount and double back more than a few times, but I finally figured out how to fill the design on a Whalen reallllllllllllly nicely and very easily. :D :D :D

I'll be selling the technique on eBay starting at $15. ;)

JK. :rolleyes:

Final technique is soooooooooooooooo simple!!!!!

I used Rustoleum Oil Based Protective Enamel.

8oz tin was something around $5 (?) I think. Anyway, not much. And I still have enough left over for another hundred knobs.

I took a paper towel, dipped it in the paint and just kind of blotted it into the grooves. The effect that worked the best was getting it so that there was a thin film over the whole design area, and the design itself showed through darker than the rest. IOW not so heavy that you can't see it anymore, but heavy enough that the grooves are filled evenly.

Next part was the :cool: bit. I tried I don't know how many ways to get the excess paint off without pulling paint out of the design. The best way by far: wait just a few minutes, and take a small pad of paper, like a postit note pad, and holding it fairly flat, just rub over the painted areas. When it gets too much paint on the page just tear it off and start on the next. It took a little bit to get all the extra off, but you can rub as hard as you want because the paper isn't going to absorb below the surface of the ball.

I left it over night and did it one more time, but really there was hardly any improvement.

And here's what it looks like :)
Nice!! :cool:

·
Person, mostly
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Give it a try Doug, maybe you could offer it as an option ;)

The only unfortunate part was that I got the Hunter Green, which looked pretty close on the can, but has a bit more yellow in it than I wanted. If I did it again I would have color matched better. :(

·
Registered
352 Posts
puck said:
Give it a try Doug, maybe you could offer it as an option ;)

The only unfortunate part was that I got the Hunter Green, which looked pretty close on the can, but has a bit more yellow in it than I wanted. If I did it again I would have color matched better. :(

I'd try it; but then everyone would want it, and I'm already losing my sanity. :eek:

Too many folks sending me their complicated and bizarre engraving requests (and you all know who you are!) :D

·
Person, mostly
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea what you're talking about. :eek:

Doesn't that just give you a nice challenge though? We just don't want you to get bored. :D

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
Doug W. said:
I'd try it; but then everyone would want it, and I'm already losing my sanity. :eek:

Too many folks sending me their complicated and bizarre engraving requests (and you all know who you are!) :D
Can't be me, you said it would be easy :)
Just waiting for a piccy of sample :)

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
Hahaha luckily my Whalen is in the post!

Take it easy Doug!

·
Registered
514 Posts
DXF or Visio files?

Does anybody have a DXF or Visio file of either the MINI logo or the "S" logo for the MCS they could e-mail to me? I'm trying to work up my design and want to incorporate one or the other into the design.

Thanks in advance.

·
Person, mostly
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would imagine Doug would have something like that (he said sheepishly, not wanting to have Doug throw heavy pieces of T1 at his head.) ;)

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
I split off the questions on the Inlay Whalen to this thread (but left the original post in the pics only thread so others can see it as an option).

Please avoid questions + discussion in the pics thread, but feel free to reply to any of the other Whalen threads or start a new one if necessary.

Thanks, and cool knob Puck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts