MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MINI spare wheel so i want to replace my tires with non run flat tyres. My tyres currently are 195/55/R16 (Run flat) , what do u think about the idea of putting 205/50/R16 (non-run flat) on instead? This is all for the Xlite Rime

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ps i am only replacing the rear tyres.

Therefore i would have 195/55/R16 in front and the 205/50/R16 in the rear. Question does it cause problems with the tyre pressure monitor? Would i have to reset it every time i start the car?

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Should be no problem. There is no problem tyre monitor wise. You would only need to reset once, and that is straight after the tyres have been changed. In fact you should do this every time you put air in your tyres.

205 should fit the 6.5" rim also. Itll impove your handling, and better still when you eventualy?? change the fronts

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
wow said:
ps i am only replacing the rear tyres.

Therefore i would have 195/55/R16 in front and the 205/50/R16 in the rear. Question does it cause problems with the tyre pressure monitor? Would i have to reset it every time i start the car?
That's a bad idea. I highly recommend not doing that.

205s will be fine but get 4. Mixing run flats and non run flats AND different tire diameters is just not smart.
It'll look dorky too.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I thought so long as the wheels on the same axle are the same then its fine. I know enough Mini owners who are doing it at the moment with no problems.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have done it no problems but it does look a little dorky after looking at them for 35min.

But thanks guys for all the comments.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Damo said:
I thought so long as the wheels on the same axle are the same then its fine. I know enough Mini owners who are doing it at the moment with no problems.
A lot of people drink and drive with no problems too :eek:

Still doesn't make it a good idea.

Off soap box now

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
obehave said:
That's a bad idea. I highly recommend not doing that.

205s will be fine but get 4. Mixing run flats and non run flats AND different tire diameters is just not smart.
It'll look dorky too.
I have to agree with you there Obe..........a bit like the good old days where you could mix crossplies and radials.........

My fronts are not far off worn (currently at 17.5k miles), reckon I should get another 2-3k miles before they are shot. I had considered the 205/50 16s in non-runflat type.

The rears still have 6-7mm of tread left, so will ditch them when I change the fronts........the MINI is sufficiently light on the rear under braking as it is.......I'm sure mix & matching tyre sizes and types won't help the cause....... ;)

Robert

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
Damo
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing