MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i mounted mine yesterday and i was expecting more,

the sound its the same and a little more power!

bmcairfilters.com/VisDetailCDA.asp?ID=225
bmcairfilters.com/VisDetail.asp?ID=415

I think the problem is that the air that goes into the intake its the same that the original!

what you think!

Have more solutions to explore that intake?

cheers

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
The tubing to route air into the filter cylinder has a longer path than the stock set-up, and is convoluted :(

Pretty ugly looking fitment too :eek:

Don't expect much horsepower gain from an intake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is my ideia, and a friend of mine mounted his in other way, you think i would have better results os worst in this way??

let explain better!

i have mounted in this way:

do you think its better have a bigger hole (1) and instead the air enter by the front of the car (2), get into from the back (3), reducing the air trip to the box (4)and gets a little bit noisier?
like this:

Like MCO mount, And you think that will have more performance or will pull more hot air?
(What means CAI)

Sorry my bad english.
cheers

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
This is my ideia, and a friend of mine mounted his in other way, you think i would have better results os worst in this way??

do you think its better have a bigger hole (1) and instead the air enter by the front of the car (2), get into from the back (3), reducing the air trip to the box (4)and gets a little bit noisier?

And you think that will have more performance or will pull more hot air?

(What means CAI)
For performance your current set-up is the best. Opening the back of the canister to the engine bay defeats its purpose of shielding the filter from underhood hot air. If getting air from the under-windshield cowl area is better than from the front of the car, the stock system would have been designed that way.

If you're looking for noise, you need to switch to something like the Alta intake.

CAI = Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so i shoul let it in that way!

any more suggestions?

i have, polie17%, cai (bmc cda), one ball (maded today eheh):D

cheers

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
If getting air from the under-windshield cowl area is better than from the front of the car, the stock system would have been designed that way.
Not Necessarily. There are other things to consider for mass manufacture, eg Noise.

When I removed the back panel altogether for my Alta (as opposed to the half way measure of drilling holes) the supercharger whine was a lot more audible inside the car than just from the Alta alone, something not all people would be keen on.

Look at the JCM air filter to, that takes air from the under-windscreen area.

Mot4rd - I think what you have is probably the best option based on the parts you have. If you were bale to fathom some sort of scoop to replace the scuttle panel below the windscreen then this would provide clean fresh air through the piping to the air filter.

Having said that a CAI is not going to give you any siginificant increase in power despite what manufacturers/tuners might claim.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
When I removed the back panel altogether for my Alta (as opposed to the half way measure of drilling holes) the supercharger whine was a lot more audible inside the car than just from the Alta alone.
AFAIK the Alta intake requires removal of the partition between the engine bay and cowl area :confused:

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
AFAIK the Alta intake requires removal of the partition between the engine bay and cowl area :confused:
No its not needed but its worth it for the noise, as opposed to the 0.1bhp it may or may not give :D. Graham runs his with just a few holes drilled in the partition.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
No its not needed but its worth it for the noise, as opposed to the 0.1bhp it may or may not give :D. Graham runs his with just a few holes drilled in the partition.
I'm surprised the filter doesn't butt up against the partition :eek:

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I'm surprised the filter doesn't butt up against the partition :eek:
Nope, the partition is scooped in so there is plenty of room (say about 1"). Even the standard filter sits slightly under where the Rubber Bonnet seal is (missing from your photo). I left by rubber seal on for if I change it back to standard :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys i have the stock cai mounted now because 2 tests that i have made with the same car with the stock and with bmc cda!

you can watch the videos here!

yes its hard to believe but i loss power

·
a.k.a. BrainRush
160 Posts
when I installed my CAI (minimania) I had already installed the pulley, I didn't notice much difference. so I took out the filter , stuffed a rag in the inlet tube and took out the router, after cutting a hole not much larger than your average slice of toast, I cleaned it up with the dremel, and tested it out. maybe a little less hesitation when on the throttle, but other than that, it's mostly noise, which is great for the bay bridge :p

....anyways, since then I've installed the scangauge, so I've got a firm hand of what kind of boost and IAT's have been going around my engine, and since I'm going to have to replace my intake with the stock one fore the smog test, I'll be able to give some actual numbers about the effects of the CAI or lack thereof on the car, even though for a little while, I'll miss that whine.

as far as the BMC design, on R50's it sounds amazing, but on the S that tubing looks like it came off a Chinese vacuum, I could understand the need not to worry the installer with cutting holes into the back plate. I'm sure that the air that's going into the intake is cold... all .05 cfm.
I was looking at getting the BMC for a little bit, but that small plenum area around the filter is not conducive to my goal of building low end torque.

in conclusion, CAI's can't really help horsepower or torque by a ton, however, their negative effect can be noticable, even if they sound great doing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts