MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MINI is so different from anything else available in the USA that it would be fun to see what people are going to be trading for their new cars and what else they have. My guess is our garages are in for a big change!

I will be trading a Chrysler 300M - a powerful beast that handles well with the performance suspension but is really big. Our other cars are a 2000 BMW 323 convertible and 1967 Mustang convertible. In this world of 7 passenger minivans we will end up with no vehicle that can carry more than four people so my son will just have to dump some of his friends!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Not trading, but selling my 1999 10th Anniversary Miata for a Cooper S.

·
Registered
237 Posts
1990 Honda Civic LX. Maybe I can just park the mini right next to it in the garage.....:D

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
No trade-in for me

An 'S' will replace my long lost 1967 (stolen 1972)

and make a weekend ride of my 1973 :D

[Click thumbnails to supersize]

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'll be gladly trading in my 1999 saab 9-3. The Saab is the first 4 door I've ever owned. I've always driven sports cars and I can't wait to get my Mini in April.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Sold a Mini Cooper to get a MINI Cooper S

No trade for me as I sold my daily driver classic Mini Cooper several months ago (in anticipation of the prices dropping for classic Minis in the US).

(click image for a larger picture)

I miss that Cooper now, but once my new Cooper S arrives, it will probably just be a distant memory. :( (Still got my '65 classic Mini wagon) :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll be seeling off my 1993 Toyota Paseo, thankfully. I never liked the car, but my mom had leased it new in '93. When her lease was up, my old car was just about ready for the grave, and the Toyota dealer told her if she bought the Paseo for $4000, they would give her a deal on her replacement car. I couldn't pass up the deal being a poor college student, so I bought it. It really has served me well, but I can finally afford to buy a new car that I actually get to choose myself...guess what I chose ;)

PigLick

·
Registered
150 Posts
In July the lease on my BMW 323i w/ sport pack. is up.
Just in time for my spec. "S" to arrive!:p
I'm hoping the MINI will be a smaller more exciting version than my 323i, but w/ the refinement!:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 1991 Mazda Miata. which i got five years ago in a rush when my Saab died. Its been a good car that has not given me a bit of trouble. Its just that its getting realy boring , its just time for it to go.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Re: Sold a Mini Cooper to get a MINI Cooper S

BruceK said:
No trade for me as I sold my daily driver classic Mini Cooper several months ago (in anticipation of the prices dropping for classic Minis in the US).
BruceK. I'll bet the new MINI sparks greater interest and demand for the original mini in the US and the prices actually go up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would be trading in my 1995 Honda Civic Coupe EX. It has been a great car, no trouble and was the right car for me at the time I bought it (new 1995).

At this time in my life, married just over 1 yr., just turned 34, etc. I have a much better job than in '95 and am ready for something that is not so ubiquitous and is more than a "pet rock on wheels" i.e. BORING!

The MINI would fit the bill nicely. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I were to trade my daily driver, it would be my 1990 Ford Festiva (Kia Pride; Mazda 121 in Europe).
My Festiva and the new Mini have an amazingly similar footprint, and are within 2 inches in length, width, and height, but these cars are lightyears apart in technology.
My Festiva is 12 years old, has 150,000 mi, has NEVER broken down on me, and was especially great to drive back when gas prices started topping $2 per gallon. Let's hope the new Mini will have a similar reliability record!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: Re: Sold a Mini Cooper to get a MINI Cooper S

Cooper_S said:

BruceK. I'll bet the new MINI sparks greater interest and demand for the original mini in the US and the prices actually go up.
Well, it's certainly hard to say what will happen. When the New Beetle was introduced it did not raise the prices of restored classic VW beetles, so perhaps that will follow with Minis.

For the last 4 or so years in the US, the situation is that nice classic Minis easily bring £10,000-£13,000 or more - up to £17,000 sometimes. Since classic Minis have not been sold in the US for the last 34 years, many nice Minis have been imported to fill the demand (official paperwork must indicate the Mini is 25 years or older to be sold here) and the prices have remained high. But, personally, I don't see how this can continue when the modern new MINI Cooper, chock full of features and warranty, will sell for about £11,960 here in the US.

Put it this way, if you've got just $17,000-$18,000 to spend, it is going to be awfully hard to spend it on a classic Mini when that same amount of money will buy a nice new MINI Cooper.

Time will tell...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I won't be trading anything in for my new MINI.
My 1972 VW Beetle was retired last year. I went thru college with the car and have many great memories. One day it will be restored. Now I drive a 1986 Toyota van, it was the right price at the right time. We have gone across the country together a couple of times, with only a flat tire for problems. My mother wants the van as a work vehicle.
Since I live in Florida and have gotten a decent job, I figure I need air conditioning. I have suffered thru too many summers here. The MINI just seems to fit. It gives me a reason to sweat thru this summer. My BMW dealer told me August would probably be the soonest. At least I'll have a big down payment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Probably nothing will get traded in - I have a 1986 Isuzu 4x4 Pickup w/ 120,000 - that's worth next to nothing on a trade-in (according to Kelly Blue Book).

I will have to sell it (or donate it) once I have a delivery date on my Cooper - need room in the garage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I will not be trading in, but I am going to be selling my 94 Suzuki Swift GT to my nephew.

This was the closest that I could get to a new mini when I bought it new in 94. It has been the most fun car that I have ever owned, and I will be saddened when I let it go. I think I will be happy that my nephew will be able to enjoy it.

I hope that my Cooper S will be as much fun, and as reliable.

94SwiftGT

·
Registered
119 Posts
No replacement, Turned the Jetta in early from lease last year. Been driving the old Subaru since. Saving coin.

Mike

·
Summer Splasher
675 Posts
No trade in either. The 99 Ford Ranger will remain my daily driver and truck for practical uses, the M3 (95) will be my wife's driver and the 1964 Austin Healey will continue its restoration.
The new MINI will be my fair weather driver - strictly for blasting the doors of unsuspecting rice burners and other various fun driving!:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not trading in, but will donate the KIA Sportage to charity before getting a MINI. It runs well, but it'll have about 200k on it by MINI time, and only be worth about $25. Will miss the 4wd though.

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
798 Posts
I'll be trading..

my soul!!! :D

Actually I won't trade anything. I'll be keeping my 200k mile Chevy Suburban and my 100K mile Plymouth for hauling stuff and parking in the Ghetto, respectively. (Go ahead, steal it, see if I care) My wife keeps her 98 VW Cabrio, which would be a great car if it had about 80 more horsepower.

Starting to look like a used car lot in my driveway.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts