MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably going to get a new head unit for my mini. I was wondering, what can you do with the one your getting with it?

Thing is, I'm getting a CD with my car but I'll prob replace that, would it be possible to shove it into say, a Landrover Discovery? I know someone who would love a cd player in their Discovery.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
hmmm new one this on me. The Mini doesn't have a standard Radio connection like Sony, Kenwood, pioneer radio's so you need an adapter for a non Mini Radio.

Now I suspect a land rover has its "Own Brand" of radio, so you'll probably need an adpter for a SOny, Kenwood etc... radio to be put in that.

So if you wanted a Mini Radio in a Land Rover Car, you'd need an adpter that converted Land Rover to mini. Don't think anyone would make one of them. You'd have to amake your own :eek:

My advice, scrap the radio boost save your money and just get the aftermarket jobbie.The Radio Boost doesn't change the speakers so won't make any difference!

·
Man in the know!
3,957 Posts
Hi,

I think what spanky wants to do is fit the Boost into a Disco?

Two problems really:
1. From what i understand, the Boost units are wired into the car differently, which would make removing and replacing a right pain for you!

2. As damo pointed out the MINI uses a BMW Connectoer, so you would have to make/buy a converter block. But also the MINI H/U probably wont fit in the Dash of the Disco, with out a bit of cutting. The MINI Unit is slighlty bigger than the standard DIN size (and it has 2 metal 'legs'), However, nothing is impossible, with time and money!!

If you are definatly going to change your head unit, it is easier to go for a standrad Wave Stereo!

Hope this helps?!

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah well!

I guess that idea goes out the window!

My minis already started construction (last monday), so I don't think I can change it. My aunt has a BMW 3 series in Germany but only has a tape player. I'm guessing that the Mini's cd will plug straight into that, as the cd players in the beemers are exactly the same.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
keep the original headunit in storage & when you come to sell the car you can take your CD player out & put the original back in
:)

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
spanky2k said:
Ah well!

I guess that idea goes out the window!

My minis already started construction (last monday), so I don't think I can change it. My aunt has a BMW 3 series in Germany but only has a tape player. I'm guessing that the Mini's cd will plug straight into that, as the cd players in the beemers are exactly the same.
If your talking about the E46 3 Series then it won't go in that either, as it has a different shape head unit to the mini!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Keep it dry, safe and in perfect condition. Someone will want to buy it from you in a couple of years when theirs goes kaput.

Someone with the tape deck might want a CD. CD players don't last for forever, and buying a new one from MINI might be quite expensive. If you sold it for 1/2 to 3/4 of what BMW wants for a new one, then you and the purchaser would be happy.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You will be lucky to find the unit fits into any other car as most other units are much wider and not so high (thats without putting tacky bits of plastic around!)...esp on a BMW which is wide! The new BMW 3 Series which my mum has would never take another head unit, all fitted in with aircon and sat nav!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The MINI wave radio has a BMW connector on, which you can get an adaptor from Halfords for example.

If you have boost, firstly you paid for it, so why rip it out???? Secondly, it has a different connector, which I have not been abale to find an adaptor - its loads more complex.

The size is unique, so if you want to fit another aftermarket unit, its gotta have an adaptor bracket - or something similar.

SHAME!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts