MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already ordered my MINI Cooper - ordered on 16th March for delivery on 1st March. However, within a few weeks I have to let my dealer know for definite what colour combination I want. I have ordered Astro Black with a white roof :black: . However, I keep thinking that I want CHILLI RED :red: with a black roof (this was the colour I always wanted), or even the new Black Eye Purple with a white roof. People keep telling me all different things (such as urgh - red and balck sounds common, or Black is a boring colour)

I'm really unsure, I keep changing my mind by the day!

What I don't like about the colour I have ordered is the white mirror caps (which I think look too prominent, though I am also not keen on the chrome ones, unless I had the car ALL black :blblack: ) and also wonder whether Black is quite a boring colour to get for such a funky car. THEN I think that if I get a bright colour it might look like a novelty car.

What is the difference between Metallic and standard paint? Any pros and cons for each one?

I really don't know what colour to go with. PLEASE ADVISE. In particular, I'd be grateful to any feedback from owners of any of the above colours. :confused:

Sorry to sound like an anorak.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know! the colour issue is an absolute nightmare! I originally ordered black and then changed to pepper white! I am really glad that I did though, it is a gorgeous colour.

THe main thing for me was the fact that I know I would go off my car if it starts to look tatty, I think that is the danger with black as you get all the swirl marks. It does look lovely when clean and polished but I think takes lots of work to keep it that way.

I was going to go for the red but as I have had a few cars in red I fancied a change.

At the end of the day, it s a personal choice thing, but without a doubt, red is much easier to keep clean!

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
If you don't mind cleaning your car, black looks great - so long as you have bonnet stripes, a white roof and white wheels as a contrast! And with Darkened glass and a few chrome touches your MINI will look cool, :cool: I am biased of course!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Black is not boring, it's beautiful, and I'm sure Astro Black could never be called boring.
I could see the point if the car was ALL black, but I don't think anyone who sees my car thinks it's a boring color.
Even ALL black is lively with the right accessories.
Sometimes I feel it's the loud colors that tend to get old fast.
Also, please remember that ANY color MINI truly is beautiful and the most unboring car made right now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is no optimum colour for the MINI. I think the Astro Black and white will look great. I saw a new Rocket wheeled AB / W Cooper at the weekend. It had chequered roof decals and looked smart yet fun. You always add decals later if you get bored with it?!

I went for BEP / black then changed to EB / white as I think the Cooper S looks great in that colour scheme. I know it's hard to choose now that there are a few new colours but very few examples out on the street.

I saw an all Astro Black MINI at the Paris Motor Show in September (sorry for the name drop!) and it looked terrific under the bright exhibition lights. Very blue / black. Maybe with our dull winter days it's better to go for the white for more impact?

·
off out....
19,946 Posts
Oooo this has to be the toughest decison ever!!! CR/B is a great combo & you don't see many around (or i don't) same for the Astro black/White... I think AB is a great colour purely cos of the way it reacts when the light hits it - very nice.... CR/B was nearly the colour of my mini, but swopped to PW/B ;)

You could always go for CR/CR or AB/AB and get a roof graphic or some cool stripes to make it more unusual instead of having a constrasting roof option (no help)

if you don't like the white mirror caps on the AB/W combo, why not just swop them to plain gloss black? Especially if that's the only reason putting you off?

If it were my decision between the 2 I'd probably say CR/B.... I just love black on the roof :D ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Black roof is definitely the way to go. I would suggest a PW/B, but with my recent problems of bumper and body matching I won't advise it yet.

Also, as for the difference between the normal and the metallic, I believe there is a difference in terms of layer of paints. I believe the metallic gets an extra coat of paint.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for your input so far...

I think I am gradually being swayed back to Chilli Red witha balck roof.

I do think the high gloss of the black is very effective.

Has anyone got some decent pics of this colour - which shows the glossy look of the combination? :red:

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
minicooperobsessive said:
Has anyone got some decent pics of this colour - which shows the glossy look of the combination? :red:
Come join us.... :p My first Cooper was CR/W. I ended up with this CR/B unintentionally for my second Cooper, but I've come to love the combo. Sorry he's not cleaner! This was the first day I had him...:D

·
2,756 Posts
CR/B is a very good looking combo.... however, at the moment I am really taken by CR/CR.... it looks great with a tint and some nice a/m wheels.

Dan

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have already ordered my MINI Cooper - ordered on 16th March for delivery on 1st March. However, within a few weeks I have to let my dealer know for definite what colour combination I want. I have ordered Astro Black with a white roof :black: . However, I keep thinking that I want CHILLI RED :red: with a black roof (this was the colour I always wanted), or even the new Black Eye Purple with a white roof. People keep telling me all different things (such as urgh - red and balck sounds common, or Black is a boring colour)

What I don't like about the colour I have ordered is the white mirror caps (which I think look too prominent, though I am also not keen on the chrome ones, unless I had the car ALL black :blblack: ) and also wonder whether Black is quite a boring colour to get for such a funky car. THEN I think that if I get a bright colour it might look like a novelty car.

What is the difference between Metallic and standard paint? Any pros and cons for each one?

I really don't know what colour to go with. PLEASE ADVISE. In particular, I'd be grateful to any feedback from owners of any of the above colours. :confused:

I had the exact same problem !! But i went for Electric Blue in the end
:eb: Really turns heads !! White roof, white mirrors. 17's on the road and white bonnet stripes. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
:brgblack: Only this morning I made my final agonizing colour choice for my 05 Cooper, and I went for BRG and black. I think the Chili Red and black looks absolutely superb, but I had a red car quite recently and wanted to get a different colour.

What swayed me in the end was the personal galleries here on Mini2. Do a search for the various colours and see does that help. They also give a great perspective on what extras will suit your car.

One of the most impressive colours I think is all Pepper White. It just screams "different" if you put the right extras on it. Check out Bianchi Boys PW with beige leather interior. Beautiful! But not practical if you live where the car's likely to get quite dirty. Pity the hyper blue is only available on the S, that's also a beautiful colour. See, you could go on all day and all night!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Astro Black is definitely the way forward!! Check out my baby, Max (below)... The astro is not just black, but really sparkly. Lots of people comment on the gorgeous colour of my MINI.

It does take a LOT of cleaning, but is well worth it!!! I always wanted a black car and have not regretted it, although i think MINIs look great in just about ANY colour!!

I recently saw a Chilli Red Mini with black roof, mirrors and bonnet stripes. Looked really nice!! That was the first time i have seen one in that colour scheme and i thought it was lush!

Good Luck with your choice!!

xx :black: xx

Attachments

·
Rainhill's guest
387 Posts
Another vote for All Black! I love dark cars, are coolest... Black Mini looks better withs OEM black plastics

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sweet sweet car Maxi Cool! Photo angle makes it look very swish indeed!

I'd like about 10 different Mini combos sitting in the back yard, ready for every colour mood!!

:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
corkmini said:
Sweet sweet car Maxi Cool! Photo angle makes it look very swish indeed!

I'd like about 10 different Mini combos sitting in the back yard, ready for every colour mood!!

:D
Thanks corkmini!! Was hoping to repay the compliment, but you got no gallery!!! :rolleyes:

You're right about having a fleet of MINIs with every colour combo. How cool would that be??!!!

xx :black: xx

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
Black and White is a classic combo... I was going for PW/B, but changed to B/W... very good move... looks great!!... Also love the CR/B... especially with the black stripes with the white pinstripe... also a close contender for me. Whichever you end up with, it's hard to go far wrong.

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts

It is tough to choose. I got CR/W and I like it a lot. I also considered black and, at the time, Indy Blue. I say go with your gut. You will love the car no matter what!

·
Tyre-R Owner
117 Posts
I was unsure about going for astro black, almost went for electric blue at the last minute, but now i've had my car for over 2 months and i can safely say that i made the right choice. Astro black looks fantastic, especially in combination with any white bits, such as wheels, stripes, roof, mirrors and side lenses!

Take a look at my gallery if you are unsure.

Andy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts