MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put bonnet stripes on my car does it imply that I am an exceptional driver? (I'm sure that my skills are average.) Did the original mini ever come from the factory with bonnet stripes, or where they always added by the owner?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
It has to do with the Cooper racing heritage. Cooper race cars, including the winning Formula One cars, had the pair of white stripes in a sort of V-shape.

Later, in the mid-1960's classic Minis campaigned by John Cooper's Team had the bonnet stripes applied to them, continuing the team's stripe theme onto Minis.

When the Cooper model of the classic Mini was relaunched in the early 1990's, bonnet stripes came with it. At the same time they became a popular owner-added feature on older classic Minis. So, it was at this time, within the past 10-12 years, that stripes became popular on street Minis.

Of course, this has continued with the new MINI. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Or as some people call them in Dodge circles (the R/T's) "HP adders":D So the question should be - Do they add horsepower?;)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Bonnet stripes are all about history & heritage of the name COOPER :cool: :cool: What does annoy me though is bog standard MINI's with Cooper stripes :mad: :mad: Suppose its like a 318i with M3 badges :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Basil said:
Here's another.......

Don't you think threads are soo much more interesting with pictures.........:)
Thread are certainly better with pictures especially like the above! :)

COME ON 25th MAY!!!!! HURRAY UP!!!!!

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Finaly realises point of thread...

...I don't think they imply anything (other than maybe a difference in taste/style)...they just add an extra 10mph top speend and help lose a second in the 0-60.

I beleive it has something to do what trekies might call Inertial dampners thing-mibob-effort-wotsit-ism built into the stripes. It helps reduce the weight of the car and uses a deflector array to help with aerodynamics :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe I'm just bothered by how easy it is to put customize the cars. The original Mini owners had to work at it. Many probably did the work themselves. Minimally they had to find a shop to work on their car. Now we can have the factory and the dealer do most any thing we want to the car provided we have the enough money. I don't know if I've "earned my stripes" just because my wife has be very thrifty and I can afford them. (or nice wheels or a flag on the roof, or the aero kit or any thing else.)

All this rambling is just me rying to find a way to make the waiting go faster.

Sent my spec to dealer. He said he wanted them even though he can't act on them yet. Red S White Top, mirrors and wheels; DSC, Automatic climate control, fog and xenon lights, and mutifunction wheel with cruise control.

P.S. Thanks for the Formula 1 pictures. That was informative.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I wanted the "go faster stripes" but alas, cars are so often a 'family purchase' so I was out voted 1-1. Wait a minute, how'd she win?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Where did Dodge get the idea for these stripes :confused: :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
noahe said:
I wanted the "go faster stripes" but alas, cars are so often a 'family purchase' so I was out voted 1-1. Wait a minute, how'd she win?
So just get one on your side of the car.... or have them made using static cling type vinyl, that you can put on and remove before getting home.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
That's funny. No, I couldn't be bothered putting them on, and taking them off. I don't care that much. But they're free in the Sport Pack, and I wanted them, she didn't.

Hell, I am getting a Cooper S over the Cooper she wanted, so it's a fair compromise.

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
I thought this was a Freudian question! Does having bonnet stripes imply ownership of a small appendage? I personally think stripes look cool on the classic Mini and a bit too retro on the new MINI......but what do I know? Now where can I get the largest set of stripes for my MINI?:D

·
Registered
632 Posts
middle of the road answer

smiffy said:
Where did Dodge get the idea for these stripes :confused: :confused:
UK double white line road painters instruction manual??

Note how ze vindscreen vipers and vashers have been used to ensure adequate forward vision for ze driver.

Sorry, but someone had to lower the previously very high standards here!

:) ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts