MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Thinking of getting a mini. What do you think of my configuration? Any must haves?
David

My 2005 MINI Cooper S
Base MSRP* $20,400
Destination & Handling $550

paint
Chili Red Body Color $0
White Roof/Mirrors $0
Chrome Mirror Caps $150

package
Sport Package $1,350
Dynamic Stability Control
Front Fog Lamps
Xenon Headlamps w/Power Wash
17" S-Lites (Run Flat Performance)
White Bonnet Stripes

performance
Sport Suspension Plus STD
6-Speed Getrag Manual STD

cockpit
Sport Seats STD
Cloth: Space Gray $0
Int. Surface Anthracite $0
Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof $850
3-Spoke Leather Steering Wheel STD
6-spkr AM/FM CD Player STD

TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $23,300

accessory**
Driving Lamps (installation not incl.) $400
Auxiliary Audio Input (installation not incl.) $40

TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $440
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $23,300

TOTAL COMBINED $23,740

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice configuration......

I had a few similar choices on my 05 MCS configuration. After some thinking though I decided to do away with the driving lamps. At about $400 + installation, I decided that for about the same price I would get the web spoke wheel option for the sports package, and add the multifunction steering wheel for about the same price.

I love the way they look, but I figured with my driving habits I would be getting limited use out of them, since they only come on when the high beams are activated. Also, I am sure that those Xenon lights light up the night pretty well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So they only come one when the high beams are on? Well do you think you could mod them to come on when you turn on the fog lights? The just look so good. But for 400 I defiantly want to be able to use them.
David

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not just $400. $400 + installation. I quote Aleks, an MA over at Motoringfile:

"The website will list what the retail price of the item is, but it does not include installation and prep cost. Consult your dealer when making your purchases for the total price. $795 for driving lights is not uncommon, and some dealers are charging as much as $995. If you have ever looked at the installation instructions for some of these items you could clearly see how the install can be time consuming, especially if any difficulties arise."

Not sure about modification. Anything is possible I suppose, but there is always the warranty to think about in these situations.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Keep the Driving Lights

I have to disagree with the others about the driving lights. I don't use them all that frequently but I find they help my Mini stand out a little more from the pack. They look great on any Mini and for the piece of mind knowing that you are not going to violate your warranty it's worth it. If however you're worried about cost/trade off I would get the multi-function steering wheel over the driving lights, strictly because of the frequency of use of the driving lights.

Other than that I would just go for the WHITE S-LITES over the standard S-Lites especially with a white rood. Sure you'll clean those suckers every time you gas it up, but they look great on the Chili Red with a white roof. Just my opinion. :green:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could you install them yourself? How hard do you think that it could be? I would have to install something my self on my new mini. If you get the bluetooth phone accessory can you control it through the steering wheel? What else can you control on the steering wheel? In are X5 and 5 series you can control the radio, phone, and cruse control. Anyone have the nav?
David

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
Looks great! That combo was a close second to the Liquid Yellow for me!

If you are going to do the antracite interior, might as well consider the anthracite headliner! It helps make it look :cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
MINImeat said:
You might want to think about rear fog to fill up the toggle panel...

Ha! That's exactly why I ordered my rear fog. Not that much of it here in North Texas, but I just couldn't bear the idea of a blank spot on the toggle panel. If they made a 5 switch panel, then I wouldn't have bothered. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not decided on the interior yet. I would have to go to the dealer and compare different choices in person. It just looks so much different in person than on the computer. I defiantly want the carbon dash tho. That just looks so cool. I will check out the installation instructions later, but thanks for posting them. (can't right now) I know I will have some more questions. Anyone have the Automatic with the paddle shifters? I was not even considering the automatic until I read that it comes with paddle shifters. Now that will give me an excuse to go and test-drive the car again. Only thing that I am worried about is that the car would not have as much power with an automatic.
Thanks,
David
P.S. How much is the fog lamp accessory?

·
Registered
139 Posts
dshelli,

Fog lamps come with your sport package. Rear fog light is $100 extra.

Don't bother going to the dealer to test drive the auto on the S. There won't be any at the dealers until probably Feb or March. No one knows what they will be like. The transmission is from Aisin. Same manufacturer that Porsche went to for the 996 auto, and the box on the mini is the same one that is on the Audi TT and the VW Beetle.

The general consensus around here is Manual = Good, Auto = Bad for the S. I personally have ordered the auto, due to purely physical limitations. If my knees were in good shape, the manual would be on my spec. sheet instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They had automatic mini's to test drive at Global Imports BMW. It is like one of the biggest dealers in the southeast. Would the automatics not have the paddle shifters?
David

·
Registered
139 Posts
Those automatics were most likely Coopers with the CVT tranmission. The Cooper S with automatic will not go into production until January 2005. It has a regular slushbox, not CVT.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
dsheli said:
So they only come one when the high beams are on? Well do you think you could mod them to come on when you turn on the fog lights?
You don't want to use high-beams or driving lights in the fog ... the light will "bounce back" and blind you.

Didn't see the multi-function steering wheel in your spec ... a must have with cruise and radio controls.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, Well I use the fog lamps in the fog but I also use them when I feel like it. You know just going around the city and want to stand out more. So you guys think the steering wheel controls are a must? I was looking at the blue tooth phone install and just realized that you have to have a little remote on the dash of the car. Does anyone have the blue tooth phone kit installed in there car? Have any pictures?
David

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
dsheli said:
Well I use the fog lamps in the fog but I also use them when I feel like it. You know just going around the city and want to stand out more.
Fog lights [as the name implies] are meant to be used in the fog. Please have your dealer program daytime running lights if you want to "stand out".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts