MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for people's opinions on their Whalens.
Besides the look, what do you all think of your shifters?
Does it scratch?
Is it cold in the winter? Hot in the summer?
Can you not imagine your MINI without it, now?

I just installed the chrome line interior bits today, and thought a Whalen would be a good compliment, but want some opinions first...

Thanks.
Sean

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
superboston said:
I've been looking around for people's opinions on their Whalens.
Besides the look, what do you all think of your shifters?
Does it scratch?
Is it cold in the winter? Hot in the summer?
Can you not imagine your MINI without it, now?

I just installed the chrome line interior bits today, and thought a Whalen would be a good compliment, but want some opinions first...

Thanks.
Sean
No scratches.
Definitely cold in the (Vermont) winter.
Only a little hot in the (Vermont) summer.
I can't imagine going back to stock.

Lots of non-car people (and car people too) mention it when they see the inside of my car for the first time.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
the difference in the shifting is very noticable. the extra weight takes any notchiness out completely. it feels much better in the hand as well with it being a smaller diameter than the stock unit. i had to swap back recently when i sold my old one & it wasn't nice having to go back. my new one is bead blasted so scratching isnt going to be a problem

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
I really love my shifter. It's a great conversation piece. It's solid and completely devoid of slop or play in the fitting.

The polished part will scratch if one is not careful with it. Someone with a ring on managed to do so when taking the car from the parking lot into the wash bay. Lesson learned.

It will get hot in summer and cold in winter, but this aspect can be avoided with some imagination.

If and when I buy another MINI it will definitely be transplanted onto the new one. :)

-CW

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
If you're getting the chrome bits like i am, getting the whalen in polished will complement the interior very nicely. Just like a grand master piece in the car.... a good investment!

Although i foresee the knob being quite burning hot if the car is left in the sun, putting baby socks will do the trick nicely!

·
MINI2 lurker
613 Posts
The whalen is great, I was a little apprehensive at first because of the cost, but would say its definitely a must buy item.

Mine is brushed finish and I havent noticed scratches on it yet, its a little cold when I get in the car at the moment but in my experience is slightly warmer than the stock knob in the same weather. Also it heats up to hand temperature seemingly quicker.

The hardest thing to do is think of an engraving !

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
steebo777 said:
Best MOD thus far for my MCS. Better shifting and looks are much improved. It is extremely cold here in Michigan in the winter, thus the knob is cold. Trade offs for looks and performance though ;)
Better blistering cold then burning hot, i reckon!

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Its a little cold for a while, but once its hot it stays hot for the day

You can fel the difference when shifting and it is much better than stock.

Also it gets alot of comments,people think it is an OEM item
They look even better if you in put in a rubber shift boot like here

I would recommend one

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Fabio said:
Its a little cold for a while, but once its hot it stays hot for the day

You can fel the difference when shifting and it is much better than stock.

Also it gets alot of comments,people think it is an OEM item
They look even better if you in put in a rubber shift boot like here

I would recommend one
Details on the boot please??

I have a short shift arm and the stock boot looks as wrinkly as an '80s leg warmer See pic .
I also tried this look which doesn't quite do it either. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Echo all the sentiments here really.......Cold in the winter, hot in the summer..............

But cool whatever the weather :D :D :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I loved my bead blasted Whalen and after putting my stock shift knob on to trade my MINI in, I realised what a difference it made to the shift. Nice pic of a bead blasted whalen HERE

It was pretty cold inwinter, but the summer sun caught it a treat untilI tinted my windows lightly. That made a huge difference... :cool:

Nige
Dover.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
On Sunday before and after the MINI Peabody rally I moved a few cars around, including an '05 MINI - it was a shock to hold a "normal" gear shift; much smaller than the Whalen and not nearly as nice to use.

GBMINIs Whalen:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I love mine; I it gorgeous, and it fits the MINI style and interior perfectly (I have the combo polished/brushed).

It feels great in my hand; I caress it often.

But yes, cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I recommend a little sock to insulate it while you are parked.

·
I LUV my MINI
117 Posts
Craftsmanship at it's best

Would definately recommend Doug's Whalen Shift Machine to all MINI2'ers.
Got mine today couldn't believe the weight of it and it looks way better in the flesh than any of the photo's. Car arrives Thursday and the first thing I'm going to do is put my Alta quick shift in place and attach my Whalen Knob.

If you read this Doug thanks for a great product :D

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
obehave said:
Helloooo??? Faaaaabiooooo????
Hi
i got your pm

I bought the shift boot off ebay.It costs 20 Dollars and then 12 shipping.It is originally for a hyndai coupe but its easy to fit, just a little modification required. heres the link to the shift boot. There is only 6 hours left on the bid but the seller will re display the items again after the bidding has ended.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts