MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this warrants discussion in this area. No doubt if someone thinks otherwise it will be moved....:) In numerous threads and posts on the "left pull, drift, veer" MINI issue I have noticed quite a few "if i let go of the steering wheel for three or four seconds I would hit the kerb" or words to this affect.

I currently own a Subaru Forester GT (2.0 litre Turbo) and if I do the above "test" on the correct side of the road my car would hit the kerb also. I DO NOT equate this trend to an inherant fault with the car, rather a "drivers car" characteristic.

Any one care to comment that DOES NOT currently own a MINI, to maybe help put things in perspective a little.

This is in NO WAY a dig at current MINI owners, as I have a MINI Cooper S on order.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Mini would crash into the kerb, simple as that.

My Father`s Audi A6 keeps going straight ahead.

My Mum`s Ford Ka keeps going straight ahead also.

All tried on the same Shropshire road at approx the same speed (40 mph). It`s a straight road and very quiet so I managed to get the cars in the centre of the road when I released the wheel.I know that it isn`t a scientific test and I only did it to confirm that my car had a problem. I`ve also decided to give BMW the benefit of the doubt until it goes in for the fix (whenever that may be), if it still does it after that I`ll cut my losses and get rid.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Basil said:
I think this warrants discussion in this area. No doubt if someone thinks otherwise it will be moved....:) In numerous threads and posts on the "left pull, drift, veer" MINI issue I have noticed quite a few "if i let go of the steering wheel for three or four seconds I would hit the kerb" or words to this affect.
if i let go of the steering wheel for about 3-4 seconds then my mini starts to take off, wings appear and if i press my secret red button on the wiper controller i can shoot lasers as well... :eek: does that happen on anybody elses car?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Mine would be off the road within that time - I tried this in the Dales yesterday during our MINI treasure hunt, on roads that have never even heard of the word 'camber' and almost took out a couple of unsuspecting sheep..:)

For reference, I'm using the 'corrected' suspension at the moment.

The car does actually drift to the RIGHT (yep, you read that right!) but only when I'm in a lengthy right hand turn (say on an exit ramp off the M1).

I noticed also that when I took my car through a car wash yesterday (the kind that grab your front wheels and pull you through), the steering wheel imediately veered 45 degrees to the left. I'm guessing here that the machine is meant to 'hold' the wheels in a nuetral position (i.e. straight ahead?) :confused:

A loan Corsa that I drove for a week on my regular route did also drift to the left, but this would have taken 10 + seconds (i.e. far less pronounced than the MINI).

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I do this in my Subaru it will follow the camber, if I do it in the cooper it follows the camber. both drift left

Let go in a borrowed Fiesta goes pretty straight,

its what i would expect from a sports suspension. Maybe my MINI is OK. However on a motorway it happens a lot less than the roads near me which I would expect as the camber is quite steep round my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Dogger - can't believe you put your MINI thru' a car wash:eek:
sorry to interupt the thread - got to get back to work now:mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Basil said:
I currently own a Subaru Forester GT (2.0 litre Turbo) and if I do the above "test" on the correct side of the road my car would hit the kerb also. I DO NOT equate this trend to an inherant fault with the car, rather a "drivers car" characteristic.
I do own a MINI if you let go of the whel for 3-4 Seconds it will 'track' with the camber of the road.

Before the MINI we had a VR6 Golf, this did the same thing.

The 'Other' Car is a TVR Griffith 500, If I let go of the steering wheel on that for more than 2 seconds I'd be on a different continent;)

I think the 'Drivers Car' comment is spot on in most cases. I'm sorry but you can't compare the handling of a ford Ka, or an Audi, (unless its an RS4) or a 318i, or a Vectra, or any other normal car, with a pocket rocket with 16" wheels, looowww profile tyres, and sports suspension.

The MINI's handling is spot on, but you do have to 'Drive It!', something that a lot of people seem to be adverse to. Christ if you want you transport to follow the road when you haven't got your hands on the wheel, CATCH THE BUS!

Rant over...;)

Griff

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phil Craddock said:
Dogger - can't believe you put your MINI thru' a car wash:eek:
sorry to interupt the thread - got to get back to work now:mad:
Interupt to your hearts content, no rant, or diversion police in this thread........we are allowed to have fun as well....the place gets too dull without it.....and it's sadly lacking at the present.....:)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: What does your CURRENT car do when you let go the wheel for 3-4 secs

Griff said:

I do own a MINI if you let go of the whel for 3-4 Seconds it will 'track' with the camber of the road.

Before the MINI we had a VR6 Golf, this did the same thing.

The 'Other' Car is a TVR Griffith 500, If I let go of the steering wheel on that for more than 2 seconds I'd be on a different continent;)

I think the 'Drivers Car' comment is spot on in most cases. I'm sorry but you can't compare the handling of a ford Ka, or an Audi, (unless its an RS4) or a 318i, or a Vectra, or any other normal car, with a pocket rocket with 16" wheels, looowww profile tyres, and sports suspension.

The MINI's handling is spot on, but you do have to 'Drive It!', something that a lot of people seem to be adverse to. Christ if you want you transport to follow the road when you haven't got your hands on the wheel, CATCH THE BUS!

Rant over...;)

Griff
glad you picked up on the essence of the thread......Your the first and hopefully not the last.

:)

PS. Rant all you like.......good for your health :cool:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paul_Mullett said:
My Mini (classic) 'pulls' to the left, it's just the set-up.

More to the point, so does Abi's Clio (sporty model, but no top of the range).

It will drive from one side of the road to the other, I've tried it.
And another from the big boss man........excellent!!.

The more I read on this subject, the more I tend to go along with BMW's views on it.......yet to drive a MINI though so shouldn't be too quick to judge just yet. EVO have a bitch with their long term Cooper and they drive exotic cars of all types and would be in a good position to judge whether it's a "problem" or simply a trait.

Again, obviously some cars do have a problem......but the point is, it's not just a MINI trait.........A well set up car will follow the camber, ruts in the road, anything that's not billiard table smooth and flat. My Forester on a dead flat road under power (180bhp) will NOT drive in a straight line. theres nothing wrong with it......just got to DRIVE it........

·
Registered
577 Posts
There is a distinct difference between "drift" and "pull." Drift is very slight and is due mainly to road camber. All cars will drift slightly to the side of the road. If it only drifts on roads with a high crown you can hold the car straight on the highway with one finger on the steering wheel, then it is probably fine. My 240Z is a "driver's car" too, same weight and wheelbase as a MINI. It tracks straight.

The steering "pull" is another story. Many MINI drivers have posted that they have to hold the wheel tightly to keep the car on the road and wind up with arms like Popeye. This is not normal and should not be accepted as such. If there wasn't a pulling problem with the MINI, why would BMW be scrambling to find a "fix?"

Paul, if your Mini has a left pull, it could be partly due to torque steer. The MINI has equal length driveshafts to eliminate this, or so they claim. A friend of mine had a Mini and said it only drifted slightly to the right on roads with a high crown. But we drive on the right so this is normal.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AV51HCC said:
Will all you nutters please stop letting go of the steering wheel... they'll be Mini's crashin' all over the place!

:D :D :D :D

ha ha.... Maybe I should have included a disclaimer at the head of this thread...... Not too late now......

Anyone that lets go of the steering wheel whilst in motion (not that kind of motion :rolleyes: ) do so entirely at their own risk. Basil can and will not be held responsible for any damage howsoever caused. Basil also reserves the right to modify this post in the interests of continuing improvements. Any similarity to any fawlty persons known or unknown is entirely coincidental.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mr.bill said:
There is a distinct difference between "drift" and "pull." Drift is very slight and is due mainly to road camber. All cars will drift slightly to the side of the road. If it only drifts on roads with a high crown you can hold the car straight on the highway with one finger on the steering wheel, then it is probably fine. My 240Z is a "driver's car" too, same weight and wheelbase as a MINI. It tracks straight.

Or two fingers lightly behind the wheel is another good test.... ALL cars can be tracked to drive straight.....doesn't mean they will drive in a straight line.

Anyway this is a

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well, my (classic) Mini Cooper would bury me in a hedge at round about the 1.5 seconds mark! It has a *pull*, and can comfortably take a gentle left bend with no driver input at all! Strangely, the wear on the front tyres is pretty even, so it points to a subframe alignment problem or something very off elsewhere in the suspension. You don't drive my car with fingers lightly *anywhere* - unles you fancy a severe dislocation at the next small pothole!

When I test-drove a MINI, it had the *drift* from the road camber, as most other cars I've driven have had.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi,

We have a Pug 306 1.8, which handles very nicely thanks very much. If I let go of the wheel, even at speed, the slight drift to the left is almost imperceptible. I have driven the same bit of motorway and tried the same thing in a MINI, once you released the wheel for more than a second it would have you in the ditch. It was a stong pull, not the slight drift acceptable in a performance car.

cheers
Marsh

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Blimey guys,Mr Bill in the general discussion forum ;) he's our agony aunt of faults.

So what one of you let him in.:D :D :D :D :D :D

PS,Mr bill only kidding the others made me type this.;) ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts