MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

On my 2003 MCS what triggers the cooling fan to come on ? On what basis does the car decide to turn the fan on / off ?

Thanks

Perm

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
many thanks for this.
Second questions is .....
What controls the water temperature in the car ? And how can I bring it down....
My fan comes on for a few seconds before swithing off.... then on again......
This can happen even before the engine is not hot.

Thanks

Perm

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ant,
No do not have a scanguage, however could a MCS get water temp to over 105c from in just a few miles of normal driving from cold ? Car is driving fine just find it a little annoying hearing the cooling fan kick so quickly... and then only stay on of around 10seconds before switiching off only to come back on after 1 mins of so for another 10 seconds.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ant,
No do not have a scanguage, however could a MCS get water temp to over 105c from in just a few miles of normal driving from cold ? Car is driving fine just find it a little annoying hearing the cooling fan kick so quickly... and then only stay on of around 10seconds before switiching off only to come back on after 1 mins of so for another 10 seconds.
It takes a fair amount of idling in hot conditions for my water temp to hit 105c and set the fan off ...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is the fan at the front of the engine that comes on.... and sometimes stays on even when the engine is switched off.... so i expect it is the cooling fan.

Any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Low coolant quantity or low system pressure (cap) ,air in system, thermostat sticking ,blocked radiator ,colapsed hoses -gone soft ,temp sensor drifted , bc1 internal problem , water pump cavitating , leak on side of radiator plastic end , low oil quantity , rear brakes binding -thats about it:eek:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Low coolant quantity or low system pressure (cap) ,air in system, thermostat sticking ,blocked radiator ,colapsed hoses -gone soft ,temp sensor drifted , bc1 internal problem , water pump cavitating , leak on side of radiator plastic end , low oil quantity , rear brakes binding -thats about it:eek:
well at least that narrows the fault down !

Thanks

Perm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts