MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically what the title says... I have a 56' R50 Cooper and was wondering if using performance fuels are worth it? Read online about them but can't find much mini specific stuff. Cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used to have a performance car, fiesta st3 182bhp, and from the off (I had it from brand new) , I used to use v power. I tried bp ultimate once or twice but the car didn't seem to like it.

As an experiment one day I thought I'd try normal Tesco fuel, not a blinding bit of difference! So I filled up there on with cheaper supermarket fuel.

Other than extra cleaners in the fuel it's a con it doesn't make a blinding bit of difference

Though saying that my Mini Coop has a perchant for Shell (standard!) lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting to read! I have just filled up with Shell V power and it seems noticeably more spritely towards the red line (of course I had to nail it) so will see if the car feels better with it. I ran redex through it a couple of months ago so hopefully the fuel lines etc have been cleaned a bit.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Did extensive testing with my R53 on VPower, Ultimate, Super unleaded etc, over several months. Made no difference to mpg, and no noticeable change in running. It just costs more.

In my experience, you will find a 50:50 split between those saying its the best thing ever, and those saying no difference.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Interesting to read! I have just filled up with Shell V power and it seems noticeably more spritely towards the red line (of course I had to nail it) so will see if the car feels better with it. I ran redex through it a couple of months ago so hopefully the fuel lines etc have been cleaned a bit.
Agree with Brassd.

Sorry, but I defy anyone to be able to detect any perceived performance difference between the V Power type fuels and ordinary. I fill up with the expensive stuff every 3rd or 4th fill because I know it has got the extra cleaning stuff in it. Gives it a treat!
And I tend to avoid and not to use supermarket fuel unless I absolutely have to. There were some horror stories a number of years back of it killing certain mainstream BMWs (not Minis).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree with Brassd.

Sorry, but I defy anyone to be able to detect any perceived performance difference between the V Power type fuels and ordinary. I fill up with the expensive stuff every 3rd or 4th fill because I know it has got the extra cleaning stuff in it. Gives it a treat!

And I tend to avoid and not to use supermarket fuel unless I absolutely have to. There were some horror stories a number of years back of it killing certain mainstream BMWs (not Minis).

Thanks Nigel, I think that sounds like a good routine! It's also going to become a very expensive to constantly fill up with v power every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did extensive testing with my R53 on VPower, Ultimate, Super unleaded etc, over several months. Made no difference to mpg, and no noticeable change in running. It just costs more.

In my experience, you will find a 50:50 split between those saying its the best thing ever, and those saying no difference.

Interesting to hear, does seem like they're the success of a good marketing campaign!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I only use ultimate for it's cleaning additives and as I've used it from day 1 I can't say if it has any added power performance but I do continue to get better mpg than if I'm using standard fuel

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've used Shell V Power Nitro Unleaded in my R53 Cooper S and then tried Tesco Momentum 99 which I feel are both very similar in performance. My car feels more alive and responsive when using these fuels vs regular octane stuff.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I will be filling up today for the first time with Tesco Momentum 99,

I prefer to use the highest octane possible for sporty cars.

The rest just get Std Fuel..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts