MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was driving the 05' MCS and raced the engine up to around 6000 rpms while letting the clutch out on a steep hill during the break-in period. The engine had a unique smell for a few minutes afterwards but the engine idles fine and no warning lights came on. The car had about 680 miles on it at the time and I have driven it several times since and I have put another 100 miles on the car. The car seems fine but was wondering if you thought that it might have caused a problem that will show up later down the road?

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,170 Posts
I agree, definately the clutch being toasted a bit ! The very occasional trip up to that sort of RPM won't really do any harm and it is just as likely to do your engine a bit of good! Honestly !!

You can more than make up for any guilt that you may feel by getting that engine oil changed at the end of the "break in" period. Yes, you can leave it until the 10,000 mile service if you don't mind you lovely new engine bathing in all of the nasty little bits of swarf that a new engine creates in the first 1,000 miles or so!

This is money really well spent.

Tigger

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was already planning on changing the oil before this happened so I will continue to do it. Being a one time accident and only lasting for a second or 2 do you think the clutch got burned that much?

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,170 Posts
britcarman said:
I was already planning on changing the oil before this happened so I will continue to do it. Being a one time accident and only lasting for a second or 2 do you think the clutch got burned that much?
Hardly at all, I wouldn't give it another thought.

I don't know how used you and your wife may be to driving with a manual gearbox (stick), but make sure you don't rest your clutch foot on the clutch during normal driving. This may allow the clutch to slip constantly and this will destroy a clutch prematurely.

It's obviously early days with the MCS. How are you getting on?

Tigger.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This smell was coming from the car wasnt it? :D

If it was a really awfull acrid smell then yes it was probably the clutch nothing to worry about. :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
One might ask why the driver was revving the engine to 6000 RPMs before letting the clutch out.

Not a good thing for the poor clutch :rolleyes:

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
That was the clutch! I would not be surprised if smoke accompanied the smell!

While not the greatest thing to do, be nice to it for the remainder of the break in period. You may have knocked some life off of it, but no worries, no worse than I will do post 1250 miles!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all of the info. my wife hasn't driven a manual in 10 plus years but i'm good with one since i do have 2 triumphs (sport6 (rust bucket currently not running and a spitfire). the smell might have been the clutch but it didn't really smell like one to me. my heart told me the car was fine but it doesn't hurt to have a second, third, etc. confirm it. we got the MINI so the 2 little plus the wife can go on a ride.

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
britcarman said:
thanks for all of the info. my wife hasn't driven a manual in 10 plus years but i'm good with one since i do have 2 triumphs (sport6 (rust bucket currently not running and a spitfire). the smell might have been the clutch but it didn't really smell like one to me. my heart told me the car was fine but it doesn't hurt to have a second, third, etc. confirm it. we got the MINI so the 2 little plus the wife can go on a ride.
Running the engine at 6000rpm with little or no load on it, will not do any permanent damage to it.

The worst thing to do to a new engine is to let it labour in a high gear....

The clutch however, will not tolerate slip for a long duration, as it is a dry clutch, and has no cooling to prevent the friction material from over heating.

Take it easy!

Robert

·
Registered
53 Posts
britcarman said:
My wife was driving the 05' MCS and raced the engine up to around 6000 rpms while letting the clutch out on a steep hill during the break-in period. The engine had a unique smell for a few minutes afterwards but the engine idles fine and no warning lights came on. The car had about 680 miles on it at the time and I have driven it several times since and I have put another 100 miles on the car. The car seems fine but was wondering if you thought that it might have caused a problem that will show up later down the road?
Yep, I agree with everyone else - it's the clutch. I did this while reversing into a steep parking space in a previous car. The smell was foul :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts