MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I thought to myself what if all the unhappy mini owners (unhappy with faults that is , as most of us do like our mini's problems and all)

were to go to a big bmw press day say the release of a new car even the cooper s and had our say and ask the top men there about the problems with a lot of mini's and how they were going to fix the cars with the press there things might get fixed quicker
big companys work very fast when the media gets involved.
image is everything

just a thought !!!!!

maybe some compensation for the owners or a discount on a new body kit ????

even 20 or 30 mini owners would be a media disaster for bmw
im sure thay would want to make us all happy about our little cars

and to keep us quiet

·
Registered
577 Posts
It might be a good idea, but the number of MINI owners with problems who come here only represent a small fraction of the total. There are thousands of MINIs on the road, but only a couple hundred at most are on MINI2. If you could find a way to get a list of all the MINIs registered with the motor vehicle department and send each owner a survey asking if they have had problems, you would be in a better bargaining position with BMW. Remember how the dealers tried to fob people off with "we never saw that problem before" or "all cars do that?" I'd wager a lot of MINI owners have no idea the problems they have or had are not exclusive to their car. (Every so often a newbie to this site says that very thing.) BMW had better have their act together when the cars arrive here. This is "Lawyerland" and the sharks would be lining up for a class action suit if the problems are plentiful.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am sick to death of this "they better sort it out before...." approach. What do you think an R&D department is for? Do you seriously think that a company the size of BMW isn't working on fixes? Just because YOU haven't heard from them doesn't mean they're not doing anything. If you have such a problem with this issue then go and do something about it but please stop posting about how lawyers will do this or militant group action will sort that. Do a search and read the posts from people who have taken individual complaints to the company and been satisfied by the response, whether a fix or replacement. They get their cars fixed and don't whinge.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
M said:
I am sick to death of this "they better sort it out before...." approach. What do you think an R&D department is for? Do you seriously think that a company the size of BMW isn't working on fixes? Just because YOU haven't heard from them doesn't mean they're not doing anything. If you have such a problem with this issue then go and do something about it but please stop posting about how lawyers will do this or militant group action will sort that. Do a search and read the posts from people who have taken individual complaints to the company and been satisfied by the response, whether a fix or replacement. They get their cars fixed and don't whinge.
Glad you and I get along M....... wow!!!

mr.bill, it's ok.....come back..........we love you really.......even M. He's sick of you today, but he doesn't mean it really.....I'm sure he loves you too........in his way........in the night.........in the dark.........no one comes closer than that.....fzzzt....________________________________________________

·
Registered
577 Posts
If the bloody car was built right in the first place, all the "fixes" wouldn't be necessary. Go buy a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. and you don't have all these problems. Name one other product that you buy that you have to keep taking back time and time again to be fixed under warranty. BMW claims they spent four years designing the MINI. It should be absolutely perfect. It's not. Problems that cropped up from day one (dashboard rattles, squeaky seats, electrical problems, left pull) have not been corrected. How long are the customers supposed to wait for them to get their act together?

The Irish have a cure for unrelenting car problems. You lie in bed on your back, put a hat on one foot, drink whiskey until you see two hats, then go to sleep. :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Its alright Basil I'm not that bad:D and I do still love mr. bill for his enrelenting pessimism MINI2 wouldn't be the same without him. But honestly!!!!! Mr.bill, despite the press, honestly this car is not a major lemon. Yes there have been some problems but its a car not a divine creation. I heard today of a woman who bought a Corsa(Vauxhall/GM) which exploded after it sucked a cigarrette into its air filter. Did that make the press?, No, is it a potential risk to customers?, Yes, did anyone make a fuss?, No why? because "its a Vauxhall". A man ordered a silver Land Rover from his local dealer, it came RED. Did he make a fuss? No quote "what do you expect?, its Land Rover" My point is that everyone rejoices if BMW makes a prat fall because its an aspirational brand and people get jealous. What I'm asking is please don't fuel that predjudice and bigotry by threatening lawyers and group action when there is a perfectly sensible route open which has been successfully used by members of this forum who are now happy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
mr.bill said:
The Irish have a cure for unrelenting car problems. You lie in bed on your back, put a hat on one foot, drink whiskey until you see two hats, then go to sleep. :D
What ARE you talking about?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I may have missed something here, but does Mr Bill actually own a MINI????

And as for other cars being 'perfect', everyone knows that's not the case. My second car is a Civic, and the build quality I think is very poor, I've had no end of trouble with the exhaust on the dam thing, flat spots, and rattles. I only keep it because I use it as a workhorse.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've visited this Forum on and off for nearly a year now. I also was one of the first owners to send my first MINI back to the dealer and get a replacement.

I warned as far as I could the very enthusiastic prospective owners not to expect a perfect car. They should expect trips back to the dealer to get things fixed. Most of this advice was noted but did not prevent them from purchasing anyway.

Many of these owners have sadly now been caught in trap. They love the car and do not want to part with it, yet they repeatedly return back to the dealer to get the same old faults reattended to. Frustration mounts.

The left pull/drift problem in my case has led to the slow replacement of the entire front suspension system. Not that the replacement parts will fix it, just so that each visit seems to involve the breakage of another linked component.

Another visit is booked for March 1st to attend to banging from the front suspension (again).

It is now nearly 4 months and 4000 miles since I took delivery of my second MINI. It has more faults now then when I first took delivery. The dealer even told me to expect a left pull when he handed me the keys!

The only letter I have had from MINI is to inform of changes to the warranty that related to the first MINI. I have had no confirmation of when a fix is due. The only news I get is from this Forum. I understand that March-May is the expected date for some sort of fix to the steering.

So 8 months have passed since the MINI was launched and I still can't buy a MINI with the steering fix. What is the point in asking for a replacement? BMW are increasing their chances of receiving negative publicity at their launch events the longer this debacle continues.

Silver Surfer, your thoughts on "What if??" are probably a little premature at the moment, but come May, and if things are not sorted then you will start to see things happening on this Forum.

It is not only MINI marketing who can think up smart publicity stunts. If frustrated MINI Forum members continue to be fobbed off, then this will boil over into vented anger.

Ask "What If??" later this year, and if things have not taken a turn for the better then you will get a different response.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
mr.bill said:
If the bloody car was built right in the first place, all the "fixes" wouldn't be necessary......... Name one other product that you buy that you have to keep taking back time and time again to be fixed under warranty. ............

..........The Irish have a cure for unrelenting car problems. You lie in bed on your back, put a hat on one foot, drink whiskey until you see two hats, then go to sleep. :D
Ummm, I may have mentioned this before, but if no one did anything, no one could get something wrong........ a critic is one who has tried and failed.........

Holden/Vauxhall/Opel Astra. Bought new, Early build..... Miriad of faults until finally it was sent packing to the dealer (dead on the back of a truck) NEVER to be seen again.....luckily the Dealers sold Subaru's as well...... hence my current Forester GT. Not faultless, but 100% better than that Astra. The Astra is now the second biggest seller in it's class in Australia. I guess they've ironed out the problems !!.

Your last comment could be seen as offensive to our Irish members mr.bill!. Better explain that one I think. Seems to be the day for it anyway !!

:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
If the bloody car was built right in the first place, all the "fixes" wouldn't be necessary......... Name one other product that you buy that you have to keep taking back time and time again to be fixed under warranty. ........

Errr, Merc A class, C class, CLK.... Audi TT, Pug 206 CC, need I go on.

Give it a rest Mr Bill and get your facts straight first, maybe all US gas guzzlers don't have many faults, but then they don't even go round corners either do they!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Car problems!!

You lie in bed on your back, put a hat on one foot, drink whiskey until you see two hats, then go to sleep.
I've been doing this for my impotence, and it's been working pretty well. But now I understand how it is my old Saturn has been so mechanically reliable, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts