MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Future Mini Owner
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to see what inspired us Mini Maniacs to be what we are today. For me, I saw the Italian Job, then went to Miniusa.com and started reading up on the features of the car and I instantly fell in love with the car. What about you? :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport with 118k miles on it. THe radiator was leaking and the oil pan was cracked. I test drove different cars..I really wanted something fun to drive.

I test drove a bunch of 2 door cars, Saab Convertible among others and they weren't doing anything for me.

Saw a couple of Minis pass me by on the street, 2 days later I was at the dealership putting down a deposit. 2 months later I had my car.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I had a lot of old classic Minis when I was a young lad, and when we were looking to change the wifes car, it was the natural choice -- little did I know what sort of community existed, neither did she, I dont think she would have let us have one if she did :D

·
LSLMINI
19 Posts
let's see - TR3 - MGA - AH - Morris Minor - Miata (had it anglicized - intermittent short I couldn't find - oil leak in the driveway - top that leaked - most important aftermarket exhaust the Brits always got that part right!) When MINI came back to this side of the pond I just had to have one!

02 Cooper now for sale with an 05 MCS in transit.

LSLMINI

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ok, I haven't gotten one yet, but I will once the 1/05 specs are available.

My reasons:

1. I love unique cars--the mini is perfect in this regard.

2. Fun factor--not only is the mini unique, but it's fun to drive AND look at. I smile everytime I think
about my Mini test drives...

3. Quality--Ok, there have been some issues, but the 2004's that I've driven had wonderful build
quality, and I loved the transmission. The car looks and drives like it's well put together.

·
Small + Car = Big Smiles
368 Posts
My Father and Grandmother both had MINI's manufactured in the 60's.

I learned how to drive in one of them and the NEW MINI brings back great memories.

I also hate large cars, but love cars that overflow with personality - definately true with the MINI!

·
MINI Geek
515 Posts
My story is fairly simple and short. I've always liked the looks of the new gen Coopers. I went to the 2004 North American International Auto Show and sat in the Cooper. I fell in love with it, and made it a goal to buy one this year. After that, I test drove one, priced it out and found it was definitely in my budget, so I ordered one :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Actually I was looking into the Mazda3 (Azela) hatchback, or Civic Si. After a test drive of a Mini (just for fun) then I went to test drive a Mazda3, then I know I should get a Mini. The 'Fun Factor' shoot way up when compared to the ordinary ~1.6-2L car.

·
Future Mini Owner
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
charlief1975 said:
I had a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport with 118k miles on it. THe radiator was leaking and the oil pan was cracked. I test drove different cars..I really wanted something fun to drive.

I test drove a bunch of 2 door cars, Saab Convertible among others and they weren't doing anything for me.

Saw a couple of Minis pass me by on the street, 2 days later I was at the dealership putting down a deposit. 2 months later I had my car.
Wow thiese are great stories! By the way Charlie, Roxie is indeed a beautiful thing!! :red:

·
Registered
12 Posts
No offense, but when they first came out, it just didn't feel like me.

(In retrospect what was I thinking, I drove a porsche 914 and a Hybrid Civic?!?)

Anyway, a coworker rented one with JCW (from and exotics rental) and I went to luch with him. We were going around a clover leaf entrance to a freeway. He hit the gas and was literally doing the slalom around the other cars entering the freeway.

I must say, this is may have been the most dangerous automotive position I have ever been in, but it felt purely exhilirating.

Mine doesn't get here until October, and I doubt I will repeat that exact experience, but I like knowing it is possible.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I saw an article in a car mag, with pics of a pre-production car, and a lot of info on the engineering and specs, and was intrigued. When the article got to the part about a supercharged Cooper S, I was hooked. I'm a small car guy, and the Cooper is 6" shorter than the '87 CRX it replaced. Of course, at that time (Winter '00-'01, I think), the spec on the car said it weighed 2300 pounds, and I was hoping the engine would be a 2 liter, with about 200hp. It's not like I'm the least bit disappointed with the car, though. It is reasonably fast, reasonably frugal, and I still love the style. I've had my car for almost two years, and if I had to replace it, I'd get another Cooper S, for sure.

·
Registered
299 Posts
GreenGiant said:
No offense, but when they first came out, it just didn't feel like me.

(In retrospect what was I thinking, I drove a porsche 914 and a Hybrid Civic?!?)

Anyway, a coworker rented one with JCW (from and exotics rental) and I went to luch with him. We were going around a clover leaf entrance to a freeway. He hit the gas and was literally doing the slalom around the other cars entering the freeway.

I must say, this is may have been the most dangerous automotive position I have ever been in, but it felt purely exhilirating.

Mine doesn't get here until October, and I doubt I will repeat that exact experience, but I like knowing it is possible.
Same here, part of the story I left out when I posted up above is the first test drive I had was with the MA and he was a ex-racer. He actually asked and had my permission for him to demonstrate the power of this car. He was going like 60s plus in one of those clover leaf to freeway and that was a total new experience I have in a car, and like you said, GreenGiant, it's good to know and own a car like that. So I went for more research and placed my order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 05 is somewhere on the Atlantic heading towards the states. I've wanted one since the introduction. The car is overflowing with character, which is probably what I look for most when buying a car. It is loaded with nice little touches and quirks inside and out. I also absolutely love how MINI markets the car. I know the budget is limited when it comes to this, but they make the most of what they can. They really seem to attract the individuals who love to drive and consider it more than going from point A to point B. Motoring is so much more than that. The Book Of Motoring is seriously one of my favorite books ever. No lie. I've been fortunate to drive some of the greatest cars ever built and the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel was in a mid sixties Cooper S. So when my Volvo 240 started to show it's age at 340,000 miles, I only had one choice when searching for a replacement. I've test driven a few Cooper S' and it is the most fun I think money can buy. And the fact that the car is in my price range is an added bonus. My Dark Silver S arrives next month and I cannot wait. It is going to get along quite well with my 61 Austin Healey Sprite. The only regret I have purchasing the MINI is that I willl no longer afford to restore my Porsche 356. Had to sell it to my father. At least it stays in the family.

Hey cct1. Where are you from?

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
Impulse purchase. Was looking to change my Ford Fiesta so went to MINI/BMW dealership and booked a test drive between xmas and new year 2002 and ordered it when I got back from teh drive. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
My friend showed me a pic of one before they came out. And after watching the Italian Job I had to get one. Mine will be here at the end of the month.

·
In my perfect MINI world
371 Posts
Fell in love at first site. Sat in one at NY Auto Show in 2001. Test drove a friends in 2003. Landed a new job one Monday in June. Ordered BRG 'S' Tuesday...

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
85 Participants
jbdmd
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing