MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get a quote for the Cooper S on directline.com and was quite surprised at the results ..

I found that I was being quoted a significantly higher premium (+£70) than for my current car (Peugeot 206 GTi - Group 14), slightly more than for a Renault Clio 172 (Group 16)/MG ZR 160 (Group 16) (+£50) and even a bit more (+£20) than for a VW Golf V6 4Motion (Group 17).

I was quoted about £70 more than a Cooper S for the Group 18 rated H**DA C*v*c Type 'R'

So, does anybody know the score? Is the Cooper S going to be a group 16/17 car? Or is directline.com completely wrong?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Cooper S - ABI Insurance Group Rating

The Cooper S was assigned ABI group 15A in January 2002.

Its ABI car code is 33800301. Quoting the code may help if your broker or insurer cannot locate the model on its database.

Please note that the ABI's rating is only an advisory group rating - not all insurers use standard ABI groups - but most do.

NB: none of the above has been checked by a lawyer, but there'll be one along in a minute.

:D :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
ABI insurance rating suffixes

The ABI now uses suffixes A, D, E, U, P, and G on most group ratings to indicate the standard of security fitted to the car.

A, D and E relate to security systems fitted by the manfacturer to the vehicle as standard spec.

Suffix A means that the car meets the Thatcham security requirement but its group rating has not been affected. I think (but am not certain) that the UK spec for the Cooper S includes a Cat 1 security system. In other words, it has got what insurers would expect it to have as a standard fitment for a group 15 car.

The other UK MINI models, which both have Cat 2 immobilisers as standard, have suffix E attached to their ratings. This means that their security exceeds Thatcham's requirements and the group ratings have been reduced accordingly. Thus the Cooper is really a group 9 car but its rating is reduced to 8E to reflect good security features.

Suffix D has the opposite effect to suffix E - the rating goes up a group. The Honda Civic R is group 17D even though it too has a Cat 1 system fitted as standard (I think). Presumably insurers think it will be nicked more often than the Cooper S. Due to the more aggressive image and styling?? It gets better NCSR star ratings than the MINI but is still loaded a group on security grounds.

You can find out more about security ratings, and check the full vehicle security listings (NCSR data in form of star ratings) at the site below:

http://www.thatcham.org/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts