MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sergeant Pepper
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hokkai, with my new One on order, i've got the Sony Cdxs2000 headunit. Nothing else added to do with ICE. I want to be able to connect my iPod (big one) to my car's stereo. What do you guys reccomend as the easiest to fit (i have the technical competence of a cabbage) and the nicest looking (i.e in keeping with the car) I also, if possible want to be able to view the iPod's tracks through my headunit and have it constantly powered. You know what the batterys on them are like. Thanks in advance.

·
Checkmate Blue & Silver
91 Posts
Sounds like you want it all........which means you should probably wait for Mini / BMW to release the IPOD connection setup which they already have out for BMW's.

It is suppose to be released in the next month or so.

I have the IPOD jack setup, but I know I will upgrade it when the new system is released.

·
Sergeant Pepper
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, sounds like a good idea. will it be availiable from the dealer then?

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
You can't use the icelink either - your sony hasn't got aux in or cd changer facility
The only option would be an FM transmitter which isnt great
Or buy a new stereo

·
Registered
265 Posts
..and I don't believe there is any way that a HU can tell you what is playing on the ipod - not even the official bmw interface. (Correct me if I,m wrong).

Texy

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
This is very interesting thread to me.. I have just brought an iPod 4th Gen and am loking around for the different options...

Im after a link that allows all of what you are after r34ver, but I have a stock Boost CD HU...

Also does the standard headunit display your track name? I have MFSW, so I want to be able to control it too...

Im sure there is an option, but it is difficult to find anything in Australia that some nassty hasn't added 100% mark up on from the OS supplier...

Im waiting for the pricings on the BMW option, before I make any move - they are apparantly due for pricing in Australia in November.

Todd

·
Registered
689 Posts
Red&blackS said:
This is very interesting thread to me.. I have just brought an iPod 4th Gen and am loking around for the different options...

Im after a link that allows all of what you are after r34ver, but I have a stock Boost CD HU...

Also does the standard headunit display your track name? I have MFSW, so I want to be able to control it too...

Im sure there is an option, but it is difficult to find anything in Australia that some nassty hasn't added 100% mark up on from the OS supplier...

Im waiting for the pricings on the BMW option, before I make any move - they are apparantly due for pricing in Australia in November.

Todd
Hi Todd, drop kenhenry a PM because he knows exactly what headuints show everything and allow you to control the ipod through your MFSW. He was talking about the very topic at dinner tonight.

PS Get to bed!!! It's too early!!! :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can anyone tell me for certain what we can actually control using the Dension Ice-link or the upcoming MINI kit? It seems the HU cannot display anything ipod related. I gather that we can certainly also move to the next track and previous track in a playlist for instance and most likely be able to fast forward within a track.

But my real question is - can we call up a specific playlist or browse to an artist using the HU or MFSW with this setup? If not, what is the benefit of having this when you can save $160 and just get the aux in for BOOST??

·
Registered
265 Posts
rrypma said:
But my real question is - can we call up a specific playlist or browse to an artist using the HU or MFSW with this setup?
Not with a Mini supplied HU, but with the new Alpines you can apparently.

rrypma said:
If not, what is the benefit of having this when you can save $160 and just get the aux in for BOOST??
I think that the ice-link is too expensive for what it does, IMHO. If I had the time and effort, I,d like to
design my own. I already know how to control the ipod - protocols are already available on the net,
but I know nothing of the i-bus, or m-bus, or what ever its called.

The advantage of using the ice-link over the aux-input is not having to fiddle with the ipod
control whilst you are driving - I have enough trouble just changing tracks, selecting another playlist
would be downright dangerous.

Texy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, from what you are implying, you *can* indeed switch to another playlist or artist from the MFSW? I don't mean seeing and browsing to it on the HU screen, but rather, hitting a series of buttons either on the MFSW or the HU which would bring you either to the next track, the next playlist, the next artist, or the next album, etc.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Then I implied incorrectly - I do not believe you can change playlists from the mfsw, only change to next/previous track in current playlist.

The new alpine HU can display the current song title, etc, but I don't know if or how it controls the
playlists.
Texy

·
Registered
43 Posts
rrypma said:
Well, from what you are implying, you *can* indeed switch to another playlist or artist from the MFSW? I don't mean seeing and browsing to it on the HU screen, but rather, hitting a series of buttons either on the MFSW or the HU which would bring you either to the next track, the next playlist, the next artist, or the next album, etc.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this.
Hi!

For a review of the BMW ipod interface (same as the mini), check out Motoring File at http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/07/19/the_ipodmini_connector_reviewed

If you read the article, it does mention control of five play lists or the entire library through the MFSW.

hey,
duard​
"One white duck on the wall"

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, I read that too, but I have seen other posts like Texy's, so I don't know what to think anymore. The official BMW link definately allows you to switch playlists, but not too sure about the ICE link.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts