MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well the HKS induction system, give an extra 2BHP, Alta however from between 4500 rpm to 6000rpm apparently increases power by 10bhp from a system that costs more than twice as less. Doesnt look as nice right enough, but its the gains that really matter.

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Not heard anyone that makes a decent enough one yet ..
I went for a better panel filter made by BMC.. Standard one seems to block so much air..

·
Registered
25 Posts
GruppeM'S Ram filter gives a good 5bhp extra from 3500 rpm to the redline, but basicaly your just buying a K&N coned filter covered in carbon fibre, thats why it costs about 600 quid lol. Would rather have the HKS system for almost half price.

·
Boost addict
33 Posts
HKS SRI are always junk, their exhaust are amawing tho.

what about for a 08 cooper? i am looking for an SRI, up to 250£.
i found the miltec to be ok on its price, but i am not a fan of the style.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Check out futureal33s new intake. Its the best looking and most likely to give you gains on the R56 that I have seen. Its a far better bit of kit than I have seen even for an R53 and they have had years to work on something for the R53... and the company that made Futureal33s R56 intake made something really good in a far shorter time.

Do a search etc.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Check out futureal33s new intake. Its the best looking and most likely to give you gains on the R56 that I have seen. Its a far better bit of kit than I have seen even for an R53 and they have had years to work on something for the R53... and the company that made Futureal33s R56 intake made something really good in a far shorter time.

Do a search etc.
Totally agree :)

I have one of these fitted and they are brilliant!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had the alta cai and it was terrible. sounded great but was sucking air from an engine bay that sits behind a boiling hot turbo. even with the bonnet scoop plug taken out, you're then getting air coming in through the scoop and carrying the hot air right to the back of the engine where the air intake is. EVEN if you put a heat shield over the turbo you can't expect it perform much better because it is still sucking from inside the car instead of outside. don't forget that cars displace air when they move and the air inside the engine will always be less pressurized than the outside air, even if there is air coming in through the front. i changed back to the original airbox and i think there is more torque. it's kind of lame that the induction tube is behind the headlight BUT it is at the front of the car/as far away from the engine as possible, and the whole system is air tight so the air remains pressurised when it gets to the turbo. however, i think i will upgrade my filter panel to a foam one. if i could get a ram intake and utilise the bonnet scoop i would but i have a strut brace and i won't be able to close the bonnet if i had a ram duct running along the underside. but i took my r56 to the track today and i must say that i'm very glad i'v got the strut brace. it's almost a necessity!

·
Banned
33 Posts
i had the alta cai and it was terrible. sounded great but was sucking air from an engine bay that sits behind a boiling hot turbo. even with the bonnet scoop plug taken out, you're then getting air coming in through the scoop and carrying the hot air right to the back of the engine where the air intake is. EVEN if you put a heat shield over the turbo you can't expect it perform much better because it is still sucking from inside the car instead of outside. don't forget that cars displace air when they move and the air inside the engine will always be less pressurized than the outside air, even if there is air coming in through the front. i changed back to the original airbox and i think there is more torque. it's kind of lame that the induction tube is behind the headlight BUT it is at the front of the car/as far away from the engine as possible, and the whole system is air tight so the air remains pressurised when it gets to the turbo. however, i think i will upgrade my filter panel to a foam one. if i could get a ram intake and utilise the bonnet scoop i would but i have a strut brace and i won't be able to close the bonnet if i had a ram duct running along the underside. but i took my r56 to the track today and i must say that i'm very glad i'v got the strut brace. it's almost a necessity!
Thats why you should get a DDMWorks RIS.. It is a fully airtight airbox utilising the standard cold air feed but also puts the bonnet scoop to good use by giving the airbox another amazing and abundant cold air feed.. It really is a great system, no compromise between low down torque and high rpm power as this intake clearly adds power all over the revs. I love the noise it makes too.. Lovely bit of kit, i couldnt dare go back to using standard airbox after this. If it comes down to choice i would def choose this DDMWorks intake over a strut brace but then again it comes down to what you want out the car but i can def give the ddmworks intake 10/10.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats why you should get a DDMWorks RIS.. It is a fully airtight airbox utilising the standard cold air feed but also puts the bonnet scoop to good use by giving the airbox another amazing and abundant cold air feed.. It really is a great system, no compromise between low down torque and high rpm power as this intake clearly adds power all over the revs. I love the noise it makes too.. Lovely bit of kit, i couldnt dare go back to using standard airbox after this. If it comes down to choice i would def choose this DDMWorks intake over a strut brace but then again it comes down to what you want out the car but i can def give the ddmworks intake 10/10.

i know what you mean. ram intakes are the way to go. have you had a look at the m7 ram scoop? they say you can fit a strut brace over the top of it because the ram scoop isn't fixed to the underside of the bonnet, rather, it's sticking out of the airbox. i wonder what that's like?

Also another question for anybody out there who want's to take a crack. This has probably been answered in a previous thread, but with the forge intake system, where does it suck air from? Does it connect to the oem hose behind the left headlight?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used a 90degree aluminium pipe from ebay for £10, and bought a generic K&N direct for £30. I've took the plug out the bonnet scoop and think it makes quite a difference to throttle response. At higher speeds you can tell it has extra umph. I've put the standard airbox back on now and again and can tell it lacks that little spark.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts