MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what this terminal is (marked in red) - it says its the PCV valve in the installation instruction of the Alta oil catch can, but thats on a Cooper S - is it the same thing? I thought the PCV valve was the pipe on the right (marked blue) that connects to the intake (the crankcase breather system?). Are they the same thing or something? Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Vacuum pipe, I think.

·
Mighty Mouse
99 Posts
Can anyone tell me what this terminal is (marked in red) - it says its the PCV valve in the installation instruction of the Alta oil catch can, but thats on a Cooper S - is it the same thing? I thought the PCV valve was the pipe on the right (marked blue) that connects to the intake (the crankcase breather system?). Are they the same thing or something? Cheers
Yes it's the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve, part of the emission control system, I'm pretty sure all cars have one.

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The terminal on the right (marked blue) does that let out vapour or suck in? Because I've seen filters on these with people who are using aftermarket air filters. I remember putting my thumb over the end and blocking the hole on the tube at idle and could feel it sucking. Is the left hand side (marked red) the part of the crankcase ventilation system which directs the vapour back into the intake? During a cold or sometimes normal start this terminal makes quite a loud ticking/vibrating noise which it never used to do, I made a thread about it before but does anyone know whats causing it?

·
Mighty Mouse
99 Posts
The terminal on the right (marked blue) does that let out vapour or suck in? Because I've seen filters on these with people who are using aftermarket air filters. I remember putting my thumb over the end and blocking the hole on the tube at idle and could feel it sucking. Is the left hand side (marked red) the part of the crankcase ventilation system which directs the vapour back into the intake? During a cold or sometimes normal start this terminal makes quite a loud ticking/vibrating noise which it never used to do, I made a thread about it before but does anyone know whats causing it?
I'd imagaine it will suck at idle when the PCV valve is open and blow by gasses are minimal and blow with the throttle open and crankcase pressure increases

1 - 7 of 7 Posts