MINI Cooper Forum banner

What is your average mpg (for convertibles only)?

• 0-15 mpg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 16-20 mpg

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 21-25 mpg

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Over 25 mpg

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Who cares ... I'm having too much fun driving to monitor mpg!

Votes: 1 7.1%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MCSC and I can't for the life of me manage to get more than 17 mpg. Is this normal or am I just too much of a lead foot? I'm still in the break in period an dso I would expect it to go up slightly, but I seriously doubt it will get that much better.

What is everyone else getting with their convertibles?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can't for the life of me manage to get more than 17 mph
I understand the Cabrio weighs 200lbs more and has a slight drag from the top, but it still seems a little low.
Try this: reset your computor while on a throughway and give it a 10-15 mile drive in 6 gear and then get back to us.

·
Registered
437 Posts
17?? You lead foot...

Hey Sporrty,

For the first 1000 miles, I was getting 22mpg routinely. Now this is up to 26 mpg with mixed city/highway driving...I've found the the OBC is pretty close to the manual calculations.

You're filling up with premium right?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hard to tell but I drove 110 miles back from the dealer when I got my car going between 50 and 80. And the trip computer on the Nav system said I was averaging only 26 Miles Per Gallon. Then again I have the automatic one too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been all over the board. Spirited driving around town is around 15-20. Spirited freeway driving is 23-27. Best highway was just under 30. Averaging about 24-27 per tank according to the OBC. It is all better than the 15 max my F150 gets and I'm having way too much fun to back off the accelerator!!!

Sporrty: 17 sounds low unless you are only doing city driving.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MadisonMini said:
sporrty,

maybe all the hills in san fran i'll bet cutting down your mpg!
That's got to be it! I do mostly city driving, so I expected a hit ... but even still 16mpg sucks. But I wouldn't trade the car over it. I have also been having a few issues with the Service Engine Soon and EML light going on. She goes into the shop on Wednesday for a check up. It could be something making her run a little too hard.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Tad off topic

What type of Gas are you using? The manual says use Premium but my dealer said you can use regular.

Howard

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
howardpm said:
What type of Gas are you using? The manual says use Premium but my dealer said you can use regular.

Howard
Chevron Techron Supreme. Its the only thing I put in my car. (I live next door to a Chevron station and its way to easy to fill it up there on my way home.

(Oh, and since I started this post, I reset the onboard computer to recalculate the mpg ... and now I'm only 14 mpg!)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
There's a thread getting underway to sort out the ideas, experience, opinion, and practical suggestions for MINI owners to generate Better Gas Mileage; How-to Ideas and Experience.

Check it out, and please add your input there too.

·
Mellow Yellow
370 Posts
Well guys I can't honestly say what I get at the moment as I really dont pay much attentio. However I have the In-Laws visiting from the States this week and plan to do a couple of thousand miles in the next 10 days or so ( OMG 4 adults plus luggage in a MCSC) should get some photos, but will reset my OBC tomorrow before picking them up from the airport will get back to you all next week :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm happy to say my gas mileage has continued to improve. I now average over 22 mpg in very spirited (ok ... I'm a lead foot) city driving in San Francisco. When I take her out on the freeway, I can easily get near 30 mpg.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I'm bumping around town I tend to get around 22-23, but I do have a lead foot. Being nice, I can get around 25-26 in town. On the highway I've noticed that I actually get 3 mpg better with the AC off! And I have noticed no noteable difference between top up and top down on the highway. (I play with it sometimes late at night when I'm trying to stay awake) Nice highway driving can get me about 32-35.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts