MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read this written by a Mini2 member. I'm sitting with my mouth wide open and I’m not sure what to write. I better leave my thoughts to myself and unwritten for now
............ and have . NO comment or critical discourse. :confused:

As someone who has owned some sort of convertible constantly for the last 30 years, I have 3 words - Garage the car. Unless you keep the convertible in a garage when not driving it, all hope of keeping it "showroom new looking" is lost. Vinyl and sun do not mix. The top will deteriorate no matter what you put on it or do to it. All replacement tops will be far inferior to the original, and if a rear window needs replacement, it will never fit right again. Just the facts. If you EVER take it out of the garage, all bets are off.

All convertibles are playthings, not real cars. They get wet inside when it rains and you have the top down. They will eventually leak in the rain. Wind will eventually rip fabric or stitching. Improper design of the top mechanism, prevalent in first year models, will rip the top or stretch it out of shape with time. Flexing will discolor and stretch the vinyl. It’s a fact of life.

Convertibles are not cars to be detailed like real cars. Not if you actually drive them. Enjoy the wind in your face, but remember that is also blowing pollution and assorted bugs and slime into your upholstery. Look up and feel the sun in your face, but remember that sunlight is bleaching your interior unevenly and destroying dash and door panels not really designed to be "outside" when originally designed for the hardtop.

Slog through that puddle and see the spray as it dances on your windshield - and back seat. Watch that seagull hovering in the wind as it craps on your console.

Convertibles are lots of fun. But they are not showcase unless you never use them.

·
Livin' the country life
4,008 Posts
Vinyl tops??? What year/decade is it?

Modern convertibles are designed to be operated with the roof down. Modern materials (not vinyl) that are used to make the soft tops are fade resistant and water proof and are designed not to lose their shape. I have never seen or heard that "Wind will eventually rip fabric or stitching. Improper design of the top mechanism, prevalent in first year models, will rip the top or stretch it out of shape with time. Flexing will discolor and stretch the vinyl."

"All convertibles are playthings, not real cars. They get wet inside when it rains and you have the top down. They will eventually leak in the rain."

LOL What sort of cars are we talking about here???

Vinyl!!!

·
MINI SPONSOR
329 Posts
They will eventually leak in the rain. Wind will eventually rip fabric or stitching.
If you EVER take it out of the garage, all bets are off.
All convertibles are playthings, not real cars
OH! I might as well leave it in the garage and play with it. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
My father has the same thought, that convertables are toys, a second car if you would like to call it, a car that you maybe driving 10 times a year, not daily. That's why he disagreed on the MCC, and wanted the pepper white hardtop version.

But the way I see it, cars are meant to be driven. Yes there are million dollar cars that are stored and probably never touched, but 99.999% of car owners are not like that, and don't have the money and resources to buy a car, and keep it just for fun. Majority of it still boils down to how good you take care of your own ride. I have heard of people who only wash their car 4 times a year, basically, at the beginning of each season, and there are people who wash it 4 times a week. Me, I am once-a-week type of guy, unless it is raining season.

·
Damned
4,534 Posts
Hard to swallow maybe, but from my experiance, the essence of what is being said is true when applied to ragtops.
I`ve had my fair share of convertibles, and all of them leaked to some extent when the rain was up for it. I generally only used them as summer cars, preferring to garage them between Sept-March.
Sure the MINI is a modern icon, but looking at the state of some of their roof material after just a few months gives a good indication that they will go the route of those before them.
Its just a fact you`ve got to live with :(

·
Livin' the country life
4,008 Posts
usaminicooper said:
Seriously, Don't you think that this post was a way over the top on all cabrio owners.
We have invested and enjoyed our cars. Do you feel that your cabrio is:
NO! :mad:

·
Registered
208 Posts
When we get our new cabrio next March it will be used every day and probably cleaned every week. If it's not raining then the top will be down as much as possible when I am driving! not so often when the wife is using it though.
I cannot wait to get hold of it! :) :cool:

·
Damned
4,534 Posts
schapman said:
When we get our new cabrio next March it will be used every day and probably cleaned every week...
Hi Stuart ... I take back all I said, I think Cabrio`s are marvellous .. when they`ve got their roof down & the Suns Behaving itself ;)

Glad you made the Decision .. I`ll pop round for the test drive :p

·
Registered
400 Posts
Okay so convertibles may not be the most sensible car to buy in the world (whether its a £13,000 MINI or a £250,000+ Rolls) and it is bound to be beset with more problems than the equivelent hard top but owning a MINI is not about being rational, its all about the heart and sole of the car, and when do MINI owners ever buy with their heads anyway.

Specifcally with the MINI convertible, its all about letting your heart decide and, believe me, there is nothing like dropping the roof on the way home from work, turning on the heated seats (its pretty cold in the UK now) and enjoying the 'thrill' of it all. Even though I only have a 5 minute drive to get home, and I only own a MOC, I am always relaxed and smiling by the time I walk in the door.

I have had about 20 cars in my time, some new, some second hand, some boring and some wonderful but NOTHING has made me feel the way I do when I am driving my MOC and, at the end of the day, isn't that what we all want when we are spending our hard earned cash on a car?

·
its all good
13 Posts
I second all that

everything paulworthing says is true. have had my hot orange for a month, but we are blessed with 90's everyday and sunshine here in texas, i am living up to the 90% contract

1 - 13 of 13 Posts