MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My Cooper S 2002, purchased new, has currently covered 53756 miles and -250 on oil change indicator.

My vehicle service history:

PDI = 10/12/02 - Williams Liverpool
1st Oil = 21/10/04 @ (12553 miles) Williams Liverpool
Ins 1 + brake fluid = 28/11/06 @ (33792 miles) Halliwell Jones Chester
Next service called @ 53,500 approx (assumed to be an Inspection 2)

On presenting my car for its service, Williams Liverpool, informed me that although my service book is clearly stamped and ticked for an Inspection 1, the Mini system only shows an oil service. They discussed this with Mini UK and now say that only an oil service is due now and an Inspection 2 in 15 - 20k.

I've had all sorts of trouble discussing this with Halliwell Jones - Chester, who carried out the work but eventually after many phone calls from me did respond. They couldn't really explain why their system only showed an oil change but were sure that they had carried out an Inspection 1, the only way to confirm was to look at the archived documents which would take up to 6 weeks to get hold of and he was very very reluctant to do this, i'll need to speak to my boss, its a lot of messing etc etc! Also, they say if they did find that they had incorrectly logged the history on the system, they can't amend this!

Oh! I also should mention when they carried out the service, their engineer wrongly put 27,000 on my service book before realising his/her mistake and then crossed this out re-entering the at 33,792, which could look very dodgy to any prospective future buyer (private or trade) of the car when also added to the rest.

I have formally requested that they show proof of what was actually carried out but am unsure of what to do if they can't or wont do this or even if their records show that no Inspection 1 was carried out.

Could my car have been damaged by something which would have been picked up at Inspection 1 but wasn't? I replaced the water expansion bottle on the car when a leak on the seam developed a year or so ago.

Is it correct that even though my car could have done 53+ without any inspection would need to wait a further 15-20k before an inspection 2? 70k+ with no inspection at all, doesn't sound right !!!!

Would much appreciate any comments/advise on this as quite concerned.

Many thanks
Keith

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
They discussed this with Mini UK and now say that only an oil service is due now and an Inspection 2 in 15 - 20k.
This is true ... there is an Oil Service between Inspection Services.

You must not drive your MINI hard as your Service Interval Counter doesn't decrease as fast as the miles increase.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
This is true ... there is an Oil Service between Inspection Services.

You must not drive your MINI hard as your Service Interval Counter doesn't decrease as fast as the miles increase.
It goes down in 25 mile intervals, however, the service mileages are variable - they vary on your driving style. This is because 10,000 miles predominantly around town is totally different to 10,000 miles of long runs. If your service counter says 10,000 when you have already covered 6,000 good for you - the way you drive the car means that it needs servicing less. However, if you drive round town, your service miles will fall faster than your driven miles rises! So you driving more than the service counter thinks isn't because it is incapable, but rather because your driving style/conditions cause the engine to wear at a lower rate.;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All, just to update you, I finally wrote and telephoned the Service Manger at Halliwells Chester and he was extremely professional about the whole thing. He promised that he would push to gain the info I needed from archive before the normal 6 week period.
He could n't correct the BMW service records on computer as this wasn't possible within the system but he would supply a letter of confirmation that the correct service was done,

1 week later I received a letter of confirmation and copies of all the paperwork for the service they carried out. I have now taken the extended service option and had an oil service so all is well. Still unsure about the inspection 2 now only being needed in 15 - 20k time which would put my mileage at 68500 - 73500 but if this is what they say....

Bibz

·
Registered
61 Posts
when i took my car in for service it said inspection and the milage but when they done the inspection 1 and i got the car back it says oil inspection and the milage but doesnt say inspection, the guy did say to me bring it back after 8k or 2 years what ever comes first, does that mean they will only do the oil or do inspection 2?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Don't know - but MINIs don't have fixed servicing - it varies. Its (for an R50) about 10k for the first service, 25 for the next, 40, 55 and so on, so why he said 8k I don't know. 2 years is time out though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts