MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of my new Cooper S and completely thrilled by it apart from the in car entertainment. It's only got a radio/cassette player and no CD player. Have we gone back in time 10 years?

I've just checked the options list for the standard features and all it says is "CD CHANGER I-BUS". What exactly does that mean? I assume it means that the crappy standard radio cassette can be connected to a CD changer. I know I should have checked when I was placing my order but I just assumed all cars have CD players these days.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting a CD changer to the existing system in a MINI? I've got a few questions:-

1. What is the approx cost for BMW to supply and fit?
2. Do I have to get the unit from BMW or can a find a replacement from another source? What is its part number?
3. Is it easy to fit? I've read the FAQ DIY feature on it and it seems more tricky than I would expect.
4. Would I be better off just replacing the head unit for a single CD player?

Any suggestions or experiences gratefully received.

Cheers, David.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry godders, can't offer help for aftermarket fitment, just wanted to say I'm as astonished as you are that a CD player is not standard fit.

A. Who the hell listens to tapes nowadays? :confused:

B. How much more can it cost to fit a standard CD player instead of a tape player? :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
The Optional Mini CD player is crap anyway so count your blessings you never payed for it & fit aftermarket - you will get a huge difference in sound quality & quantity.

If you would prefare to keep the factroy tape & add a changer then with an interface you can add a sony 6 disc cd changer or mp3 changer or IPOD ;)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
It is poor that they are still selling us cars with a table player. Who uses them? Its just another way for them to extract a few more ££ out of us. If I'm right a CD player and Air Con are standard on US bound cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could go for a single CD/Radio that has MP3 compatibilty. That way you can create an MP3 CD of your favourite CD's. The average CD can hold about 10 albums in MP3 format. You can move up and down the folder structure to select albums and side to side to select tracks.

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
taylona said:
You could go for a single CD/Radio that has MP3 compatibilty. That way you can create an MP3 CD of your favourite CD's. The average CD can hold about 10 albums in MP3 format. You can move up and down the folder structure to select albums and side to side to select tracks.
The standard US-spec radio does this on the 2005 models (we haven't used the radio yet in our car, only the MP3s). And yes, air-con is standard, but MINI would sell zero cars here without it...

Crutchfield here in the states sells compatible CD-changers for $300-$400, including the adapter thing needed to make it work. It looks like Mikey sells replacement head units in your end of the world for about half that (newMINIstuff.com), though he'd be the one to say if they need any adapters or anything...

-Eric

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
Digress slightly I know, but recently I went looking for a micro or mini music system that has CD changer and plays CD-RW and MP3, and do you know how many of these systems out there still has a cassette deck or even TWIN casette deck? Virtually all! :rolleyes:

Now that is dark ages for you! :rolleyes:

DK ;) :apple:

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
my 53 Cooper S has a 6 disc boot multi CD changer unit and the standard wave tape! head unit.

Back in those days, u had to spec to have cd boot changer prep for factory fit. I think it was free when i ordered then they started charging for it. i think boot changer used to cost £200 ish not sure of price now.

The bigger problem is compatibility of BMW head units with aftermarket CD boot changers. I know the BMW boot change wont work with other head units! so consider this at your cost and peril.

If u want to upgrade to a CD head UNIT i would have a look at the aftermarket ones, they are much better than the BMW units IMHO.

·
2,756 Posts
I can jst see you now, spending a night at home making yourself a mix-tape of you favourite songs........ don't think so.

I would just set about hooking up an ipod to you head unit.

Dan

·
MINI2 Irritant
951 Posts
rip off

and u ant get a slot CD unless u uprage to a boost on the Order!! - id reckon your better with the standard tape - just get down halfords and buy a crappy alba cD player as is better than the BMW/Mini version

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I agree about the lack of standard CD player being especially tight of MINI UK. But they are good at making money out of us :rolleyes:

I have fitted a Sony T69 6 cd changer with a connects2 adapter in the boot. The package for the changer and adapter costs from about £150 on the internet and I think £200 in Halfords. The changer is about £100 and the adapter £50.
This makes it work with the standard head unit controls.
Very easy to fit. The holes are pre drilled and covered with little plastic covers in the right hand side of the boot. In the boot side panle you will find your CD changer cable (I-bus) 2 small square plastic plugs. One more flat than the other. Attach the bracket to the car and plug in and your away. 30 mins max :) The sound quality is acceptable imho.
The BMW cd changer is approx £300 and I think they also charge for fitting :eek:
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone

I listened to all your comments thanks and it seems that I'll be exchanging standard head unit with a decent single cd player.

I thought the standard unit did sound ropey and you've all confirmed it. I wasn't sure if it was the speakers or unit that was lacking.

Thanks again for all your comments. I'm new to this forum and very impressed with the intellegence/helpfulness of everyone compared to other forums.

·
MINIMAT
813 Posts
dcfkan said:
Digress slightly I know, but recently I went looking for a micro or mini music system that has CD changer and plays CD-RW and MP3, and do you know how many of these systems out there still has a cassette deck or even TWIN casette deck? Virtually all! :rolleyes:

Now that is dark ages for you! :rolleyes:

DK ;) :apple:
Adding a tape player these days probably only adds about £20 or so to the overall cost of the stereo but makes the stereo more saleable. Personally I'd prefer it if they would ditch the tape and spend the money elsewhere but people buying stereos seem to still expect them to be there even if they never use them. I buy seperates anyway these days but hard to get my missus to figure them out. She's learned now though.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Indeed.........

When I bought the MCC I was horrified to learn that a 14.5k car does not have a cd player!! Even if you spend the 1300 GBP on the Chilli pack you still dont get one...... My actual car was 16.5k plus a cd player!!

Contrast this to my first car.... a new Vauxhall Corsa that cost me 7k in the year 2000, it came with aircon, sports seats, pearlescent paint, alloys, free insurance, and a CD Player (you could have a cassette player as a no cost option lol)...!!

Why is a CD not standard.......really?? Its a premium small car aimed at the cutting edge man??

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
Has anyone tried to buy a mini/micro Hi-Fi system in the UK that does not have single or double cassette deck(s) that plays CD-R and MP3? Not many of these about under 200 GBP I can tell you!

Goodness knows why we are clinging onto cassettes! :rolleyes:

DK :) :apple:

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
dcfkan said:
Has anyone tried to buy a mini/micro Hi-Fi system in the UK that does not have single or double cassette deck(s) that plays CD-R and MP3? Not many of these about under 200 GBP I can tell you!

Goodness knows why we are clinging onto cassettes! :rolleyes:

DK :) :apple:
Sony S2000 or similar does.............. its only a single slot CD though....not a posh stacker....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts