MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing an oil and filter change this weekend and trying to find which oil - doesn’t give a grade in the handbook but says minilife 1 or something. I went to euro car parts for some and they sold me 5w 40 synthetic but wanted to check if this is okay before I pour it in?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
i've been using 5/40w fully syn oil for years it holds a better viscosity with the heat , oil rep said that car makers use 5/30w and thinner oils for emissions reasons on first start up and he would always run these engines on 5/40w fully syn, C3 its same as vw PD oil

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just done oil change with 5/40 and went through service history and it’s had 5/30 at the garage previously. Would that be a reason why it gets through so much oil? Had a drop from the pipe at the bottom of the expansion tank after reassembling it all. Took that back off and cleaned the coupling and it seems dry now. Off for a test drive in a bit and hopefully the bigger stays dry!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Both my MINis have it on the oil fill cap.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
I use 5/40w fully syn same as PD oil handles the heat better, spoken to a oil rep he explained car makers use thinner oil for emissions mainly and he would always run his cars on 5/40w if makers say 5/30w

1 - 7 of 7 Posts