MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, feedback from my service today was that I need new pads!

What would you all recommend for stock disks and calipers??

Thanks!

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
DO NOT touch EBC greenstuff pads. Shocking, only had to rely on them once and almost had to take evasive action as they just cooked.

Done 338 miles on Mintex 1144s and they are great, much, much better. Although that said I haven't been in a situation that requires really hard braking.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the EBC Green Stuff ones are so bad, what about the Red Stuff pads???

The Mintex 1144s are the ones im considering at the moment but just wanted opinions.

What about disks?? Mine are fine but I see Mintex do a pad/disk package?? Would it be worth it or not??

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
i always like doing it all at once, but then i do drive a touch harder than a lot of people, if you get discs go for grooved ones, they do eat the pads a bit faster but the also keep them fresh and de glazed, stock discs and performance pads do work together though. and keeps the cost down for the moment, but if you get new discs later its recommended that you fit new pads again as new discs needed bedded in and new pads have a bedding in layer on them.

james

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks James, thats really useful!

Just seen on Lohens website the Brembo Pads and also the Brembo Disks which look quite nice, any thoughts on these???

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Brembo is reputable. Like James, I opted for the total replacement as well. I swapped the rotors for Power Slots and the pads for hawks. I hear that Mintex are nice as well. There are lots of nice options out there for you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
out of the pads and discs on sale in the uk at the moment, i would go for the GTT ones ive driven cars with them fitted, they take a while to bed in but they are very very good, i know its not usual to recommend a competitors item, but as i dont sell brake parts yet, if i were you at this point in time thats what i would go for.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys must think I've won the lottery!!!!!

Front brake package:- 1 pair of handed Spiroslot discs + 1 set of Kevlar pads.+ Dot 5.1 brake fluid. £129+vat = £151.58

Rear brake package:- 1 pair of handed Spiroslot discs + 1 set of Kevlar pads + Dot 5.1 brake fluid. £119+vat = £139.83

Fitting: fitting on the front kit is £72-50+vat = £85.19, the Rear is £112-50+vat = £132.19

Altogether = £508.79 approx!!!!!! OUCH!!!!

May aswell fork out an extra £200 odd quid for an AP racing BBK!!!

I was looking to spend about £300/350.

·
Registered
460 Posts
minimum for a decent brake set up and fitting is usually over £400 the AP kit also needs fitted so that will tip that up. i know it seems a lot but ive run my last brake set up for two years and its still going unless your out on track they do last a long time and the cost is worth it in the long run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts