MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in normal everyday driving what RPMs do you shift at. i shift at 3500 - 4000 RPMs. i have 750 miles on my cooper. i feel like it likes to be driven alittle spirited. i used to have an S and shifted at 3500 - 5000. i felt more confident shifting the S engine at higher revs because of the stronger engine internals and more suped up engine. is the regular cooper engine ment to rev high as well?.

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
No worries in revving the Cooper engine up I suspect - these small displacement engines are designed for higher revs, that's where they make their useable power.
I would be more concerned about serious short shifting wherein every upshift gets you into lugging the engine.
For normal urban driving I usually shift betweem 3500 - 4000 rpm's, if I'm really relaxed or traffic is slow I will shift around 3K.
It's nice to know that there is that 4K - 5.5K band that's always available for a satisfying surge of power and accompanying growl. :)

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I suppose it depends what an average daily drive is. When I had my Cooper I tried to spend as much time above 4,500 rpm as possible (shifting not far before the red line to not drop out of the "sweet zone"), until I hit the speed limits, as that's where the fun is. With the S.... I do much the same. ;)

Poodling along I guess I would rarely go above about 4k rpm (for example in 30 or 40 mph limits), but it depends on where you're driving I suppose, and how much you like to go quickly.

:D

·
Registered
785 Posts
After driving my Cooper for over 30,000 its an engine that longs to be revved..as Paul notes its definately got a second wind at between 4,000 to 5,000 revs, so probably better to hold onto the gears for a little longer, if you're after the performance.

Regards
Christopher

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
To redline if required but only after the engine is warmed up. I try to take it gently for the first little while in the morning. Once warmed up, if I want to waste gas/have fun then I don't fear the higher revs. I broke it in gently and then gradually moved the revs up but by 6000 miles or so I was letting it fly. Revs freely and runs well now at over 33500 miles.

And actually, the gas mileage isn't bad with high acceleration -- it is high speed that drains the tank in my experience. Anything over 65MPH is bad for gas and higher is worse of course.

Harry

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
flav said:
in normal everyday driving what RPMs do you shift at. i shift at 3500 - 4000 RPMs. i have 750 miles on my cooper. i feel like it likes to be driven alittle spirited. i used to have an S and shifted at 3500 - 5000. i felt more confident shifting the S engine at higher revs because of the stronger engine internals and more suped up engine. is the regular cooper engine ment to rev high as well?.
I shift at about 6,500 revs when the full 210 bhp kicks in !!!

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Mine redlines over 7000 actually. Soft fuel cutoff around 6750 but full cutoff around 7250... Better to shift a bit earlier though, before soft cutoff for best results.

Harry

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
defiantly don't change till it gets over 6000. Obviously wait till your run in is over but then give it some. These cars really do respond well to a good thrashing! :p

·
Registered
284 Posts
The great thing about Coopers (and maybe other MINIs, too) is that they're like two cars in one. For normal driving about and better fuel economy (I suppose) I shift around 3K-3.5K rpms. If I feel like pushing it about though (for example, zooming down a highway entrance ramp), I'll go up to 6K rpms. Downshifting at that point puts you back at about 4.2K rpms in the next gear where there's plenty of torque to be had and plenty of accelleration, too. I also downshift from 5th (like an overdrive) to 4th when I need to accellerate (or pass) at highway speeds. Works perfectly. I have to believe Coopers were designed to be driven this way (...like the "normal" and "sport" mode on a CVT).

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm actually conducting an experiment right now...Normally I've been shifting at ~4500, but I have not been too thrilled about the MPG, especially since I'm still adjusting to having to buy premium. So for this tank, I'm shifting at 3,000 just to see if it makes a difference, although it's real hard to hold back! :D

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
With high gas prices I experimented with shifting lower and/or driving slower and I found the effect of shifting lower was minimal while the effect of driving slower was READILY apparent on gas mileage (much better). The engine is more efficient at 4500RPMs than 2000RPMs so I think the mileage is not really affected by that sort of shifting. All redlines isn't good of course... for gas at least.

Harry

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
"...I have not been too thrilled about the MPG, especially since I'm still adjusting to having to buy premium..."

"...With high gas prices..."

ROFL, you American and Canadian (sorry, I know you Canadians hate being associated with the yanks), have no idea about expensive fuel. At the moment in the UK, it's costing me about £35 to fill with Shell Optimax (you'd call it premium I think). That works out at $65US or $78CA. Bargain eh? :rolleyes:

Getting back on topic, I find anything from 2,500 RPM's is okay, obviously for 'spirited' driving, you'd want to be shifting 6,000ish RPM's.

·
Mini Crazy
62 Posts
in other words our fuel is twice the price of yours.

i shift at a comfortable 3-4 and cruise with it on 2000rpm, purely to save fuel, however i love the kick available after 4000rpm, like someone said peak shift point is just after 6500rpm, and it really tugs once u hit the next gear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts