'02 MCS
Rear sway bar, all other suspension bits are stock
Magnaflow exhaust
Alta intake
15% pulley
UNIchip ECU mod (easily removed )
Afermarket plugs, wires and coil
SSR Comps in 7" x 16 42 ET running Kumho 712s

Ran STX as a novice this year but was recently told that I was running in the wrong bracket.
What should I be in, with or without the ECU mod if that makes a difference.

Also, what would be good replacements for the 712s when they wear out?

This car is also my daily driver except for the SSR/Kumhos, they are for events only.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
You're in Street Modified (SM). Or E Mod if you are really looking for trouble! The reason is the pulley. You can not directly change boost levels in STX. Otherwise you are legal for STX. Might as well leave the Unichip on the car.

I ran STX for 2003, then changed to SM for 2004 after a pulley change. The MCS is nationally competitive in STX if set up properly (read LSD) and much less so in SM. Having said that, regionally it is totally dependent on your local competition. I've done quite well in both classes, and without question the car is much more fun to drive on the street and on course with the smaller pulley.

For 16" tires, and a significant upgrade from your current tires, the 215/45-16 Falken Azenis Sport is the best thing going in a real street tire for the MCS and is a bargin at about $100. The size is perfect for the MCS (width and rolling diameter) and it is as sticky as any real street capable tire. The BFG KD is as good, and more heat resistant, but costs quite a bit more and isn't available in this size in 16". If you want to go to R compounds, there's more grip available but they really should be installed at the event.

It sounds like you are fairly new to autocrossing. I would recommend that you run next season on a set of Azenis.

Scott
90STX/SM/STX?

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fairly new??
8 Events and 2 days of class I think qualify me as "near clueless" :)
SM is what I was told. What I wasn't sure about was the new STU bracket.

Honestly I'm new enough and old enough that I'm just in it fir the fun and learning. Getting better is all I concentrate on. Bracket doesn't matter.
Every car in SM that I've seen locally is WAAAYY faster than I am.
Oh well

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
STU is a faster class than STX, but like STX it doesn't allow direct boost changes.

If your local courses don't have lots of long straights, your Mini can be surprisingly competitive once you get used to it and rack up some seat time.

Good luck next season.

Scott
90STX/SM

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sadales said:
STU is a faster class than STX, but like STX it doesn't allow direct boost changes.

If your local courses don't have lots of long straights, your Mini can be surprisingly competitive once you get used to it and rack up some seat time.

Good luck next season.

Scott
90STX/SM
Where I go the course are usually pretty short and tight. 40 to 55 seconds most times.

Thanks again

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
If you call SCCA Topeka (toll free at that), and ask for the SOLO department, the man will tell you where you fit AFTER you've explained what you you have.
He told me (2004) that as my car was an S with a JCW kit, I had to go to ASP. Before it had the kit and was dead stock, he told me I was in GS.

The LSD is awesome but it will cost you ~ 2500 USD to get installed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It can all come down to the region you're running in. Like ours here, we can make up our own class, as long as we have a somewhat small group to follow it. Many aren't too technical on what's right and wrong for each class, heck, most of the techs don't even know much about your :red: . They're mainly looking for safety precautions, as safety here in my region is #1. But if your region is nickypicky on things like that, or others have filed compliants, then you have no choice but to go to a class that isn't really fair to you in the first place. That's one of my BIGGEST concerns of the SCCA rules, it can intimidate people away from coming to these events and getting involved. At least they've been working on it with the ST class expansions, and I've profitted from the STS2 class, as I'd get my booty spanked in the CSP class where all of them ran on R-comps or Hoosiers.

Keep remembering to have FUN!

--------------------
Happy Motoring,
Kurt STS2 #5
My 1990 Classic Red

1 - 7 of 7 Posts