MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new Mini ONE for two weeks and given it two washses since then, just with autoglym shampoo.

Should I be doing anything else yet, like polishing or waxing? I assume something is put on before it leaves the factory?

This is my first car so i'm still going through the forums working out what I should and shouldn't be doing, but any help would be appreciated. :)

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
no need to polish but it'd be worth putting a coat or two of wax on would be a good idea now the weather is getting dirty & the gritters will be out soon

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
If you like autoglym products start dropping chrissy present hints for Autoglym
Extra Gloss Protection to all who will listen. That and the shampoo is all you
need at this early stage.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yup as every one says get some wax on the paintwork - only slight problem is that unless you have a garage you will struggle to get EGP or any other wax ie meguiars NXT/ Gold class to cure properly unless the temperature is about 10deg C! This means it will take an age to dry and you'll probably buff most of it back off!

if a garage is not possible then as a minimum get a bottle of meguiars quick detailer - this will give the car a crackin shine and some protection - i'd use it after every second wash or so until the temps get back up.

·
Registered
716 Posts
techiedoc said:
With Zymol wax,drying of wax on the car is not needed.
Techie - but if the temp is too cold the wax won't bond to the surface and just smear about when you come to buff it up. :eek:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Techie - most manufacturers recommend a min temp of about 7deg C for the wax to bond. Waxing in winter is always a tough call - you can either wait till you get a day where the temp is up enough to give it a whirl - doing it between 10am and 2pm would be best as either side of these time the dampness is likely to be still in the air.

Failing that i always make sure to get as many coats on in October/early Nov before the weather closes in - after that i maintain my wax every wash with a quick detailer or spray wax like megs NXT.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you have your Mini only for 2 weeks, I sugest you to wait a little longer before you wax yor car. I was once told to wait at least a couple of months, since the paint now is a little "soft", it has to become "harder" before waxing. Just wash very often and rinse carefully yor car, don't let mud or spots attach to the paint and in 2 months wax it.

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
So you have owned your baby for two weeks and have yet to clean the underside??? Is that what I can infer from your claim of only washing it twice.....
Well...you sure are not treating your baby right at all. After one week and three-weekly thereafter (more often if in Scotland-cows on the road) you need to get under that baby and clean, clean clean.....sheesh....the gall.......
;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.