MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys, i got one question that is if i have to go vacation for 3 months, wut should i do to my mini cooper s ?? should i charge the battery ??? or.. ??? thanks ...

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
worst thing that wil happen is your battery may run flat.. which isn't hard to fix...

this has happened to me before... different car though :)

or if you trust your family or friends let them take it for a nice long drive once a fortnight:D

im going away in dec for 2 months.. i am going to tell my dad to take it out or to work at least once a fortnight.. if he does is another story :rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bkwalker said:
worst thing that wil happen is your battery may run flat.. which isn't hard to fix...

this has happened to me before... different car though :)

or if you trust your family or friends let them take it for a nice long drive once a fortnight:D

im going away in dec for 2 months.. i am going to tell my dad to take it out or to work at least once a fortnight.. if he does is another story :rolleyes:

hmm ... i see.. i see.. if nobody can drive my car ... can i buy charger to charge it until i come back from my vacation ????

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
E-Gun said:
hmm ... i see.. i see.. if nobody can drive my car ... can i buy charger to charge it until i come back from my vacation ????
yep.. i've got a charger here at home.. when i bought mine it was about $50 but that was years ago now..

they are pretty easy to use.. plug it into you're power point.. then from the base of the station run two jumper cable lead things.. and they just plug onto your battery.. very very easy..

but dont charge it while you are away!!! .. there is a pretty good chance that your battery will be fine after 3 months anyway... if it doesn't work.. THEN go buy a charger or borrow a friends jumper leads and jump start... once you get the car running then drive it for a little while.. or a nice long while :D and this will get the charge back up on the battery:)

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
E-Gun said:
Hi, guys, i got one question that is if i have to go vacation for 3 months, wut should i do to my mini cooper s ?? should i charge the battery ??? or.. ??? thanks ...
Tell you what, if you're willing to fly the wife and I half-way around the world, we'll be more than happy to drive your car for three months to keep it charged and happy :)

Seriously, you could buy a trickle charger that would keep the battery topped-up. Those are about $30US here. You could also unplug the battery so it won't drain so quickly while you're gone (though then you have to deal with the car thinking it's a toaster with its memory wiped, and I'm not sure how much would be lost in a MINI). The third option is to just leave it and jump it off if the battery does die while you're gone. I would probably choose that option as it's summer there now and not likely to get real cold, so the battery won't die so fast anyway. My brother left his car with me while he was gone to Singapore for six months, and I only drove it four or five times while he was gone (and never very far) but it had no problems when he got back (apart from smelling somewhat odd inside).

-Eric

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bkwalker said:
yep.. i've got a charger here at home.. when i bought mine it was about $50 but that was years ago now..

they are pretty easy to use.. plug it into you're power point.. then from the base of the station run two jumper cable lead things.. and they just plug onto your battery.. very very easy..

but dont charge it while you are away!!! .. there is a pretty good chance that your battery will be fine after 3 months anyway... if it doesn't work.. THEN go buy a charger or borrow a friends jumper leads and jump start... once you get the car running then drive it for a little while.. or a nice long while :D and this will get the charge back up on the battery:)

walker, where u bought those charger ????? do u mind to tell me .. ??/

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
cant remember now...
any decent car shop or hardware store will have one...
it is made by 'Arlec' i think...

But as i said... the chances are you WONT need it:) after 3 months your car will prob be fine to start and wont need a recharge:)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
Leave her behind ??!!!!

E-Gun said:
What should you do with your MINI Cooper S ? Take her with you, naturally. :D

How do you think she's going to feel if your on holiday for 3 months and she's stuck at home ? It's some small consulation that you are thinking of getting her fed whilst your away, but that's really not the point, is it ? She might have moved out by the time you return.....

Simply rearrange your entire holiday, change all your plans and take her with you. There, now that was easy, wasn't it ? :D

Tigger.

·
Registered
668 Posts
bkwalker said:
My MCS battery is too flat to start the car after about 3 weeks.

The problem with letting it go totally flat though is that the alarm thinks that the power feed has been cut and so activates the alarm from its separate power source. I know that from personal experience when I came home to find the alarm sounding with the car locked securely in my garage. Letting the battery go totally flat will shorten its life as well.

Jump leads will not transfer enough power to charge a totally flat battery - I know from when it happened on another car. Buy a trickle charger (or preferably an automatic one that will charge the battery and then maintain it at full charge).

On an MCS you don't put the charger clips on the battery terminals, but the live goes to the live terminal under a flap under the bonnet and the negative one goes to earth. You should be able to feed the cables so that you can leave the bonnet on the first catch. Assuming you have a factory fit alarm that leaves the alarm covering everything except the bonnet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm .. i see.. i see.. thank u guyz for give me information ...

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
E-Gun said:
hmmm .. i see.. i see.. thank u guyz for give me information ...
Does this mean that you will be taking her with you after all? :D

Tigger.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm .. mayb i will make it real mini then bring her along .. hehehehe ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.