MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the tyres on the factory built JCW are run-flats. Is there more than one make of tyre fitted by the factory or is it a single make? I'm just trying to get an idea of what options i'll have come tyre replacement time.

I've had a BMW with run-flats before and I had to reprogram the tyre pressue monitoring system by driving for a couple of miles whilst it was in 'learn' mode. What would I need to do when I changed a tyre in the JCW?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd also be interested to know the std runflat tyre they put on the factory JCW, if owners could tell me? Not picked mine up yet, but might change the tyres to non-runflats as soon as I pick up the car.

·
Works
34 Posts
Factory fit tyres on the wifes JCW was Dunlop 205/40w/18s DSST run-flats.

Replaced a few months ago for £160 a corner all in.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just went out and checked my JCW. It's been fitted with Dunlop SP Sport 01 run-flats (205/45 R17s). These are quite expensive tyres - £160 (V-rated) or £172 (W-rated) each from Blackcircles fully fitted.

·
Works
34 Posts
Factory fit tyres on the wifes JCW was Dunlop 205/40w/18s DSST run-flats.

Replaced a few months ago for £160 a corner all in.
Just picked up a nail in one of the new run-flats:mad:

There is 5 to 6mm+ left in the tyre, with the nail in the dead centre of the high part of the tread.

I telephoned ATS, who said that the Dunlop DSST run-flat is one of the tyres they are allowed to repair.

I'm taking it there tomorrow to have the puncture fixed.

Whats your thoughts on repair?

·
Works
34 Posts
I telephoned Dunlop UK today & spoke to a very well informed fella in the technical departmnet.

He said that the Dunlop DSST runflat can definitely be puncture repaired.

He did say that, as BMW have recommended not to repair the runflat tyre & this has been printed in the service manual, he has to also say the official blurb and advise as the service manual and replace!!!!!!

Anyhow, got the tyre puncture repaired this morning £15 & re-set the indicator.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
As long as the puncture is in the main tread pattern (i.e. not in the sidewall) then your funflats can be repaired.
I would add the caveat "and you haven't compromised the integrity of the sidewall by driving a long distance with zero air pressure in the tire" ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts