MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! I ordered my new Mini just two days ago and I have a question... I splurged on some new wheels (R99s) and the dealer said I can keep the 16" wheels that come standard with my Cooper S. Now, I was thinking about selling the 16" wheels on an auction site, but now I have another idea...

Anyways, I live in Japan and I commute about 40 minutes to a realitively snowy / mountainous area... In Japan, there are no salted or sanded roads and most people use studless tires in the winter because they don't plow the roads very well either...

I was thinking about getting some 16" studless tires and slapping them on the extra wheels. What does everybody think about that idea? Is it a waste? Think the 17" wheels and DSC will supercede my need for actual snow tires?

·
1st MINI Owner in QLD !!!
2,468 Posts
Keep them for track days :)

or as spare tyres. If you somehow damage a rim you can swap the wheels while you are waiting or, when you tyres need replacing and you can't afford to replace them. Put them on.

That's what I've done ;)

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
In Luxembourg everyone has summer and winter tyres, and swaps them around in November and back again in April. But most folks(me included!) seem to have cheap steel rims with their winter tyres. I'd like alloys all year round, and will get a second set when budget permits, so I think you've got the right idea!

Ian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.