MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above, I’ve removed the flap in the air-box and now plan just to remove the motor inside the air-box and the actuator on top of the air-box and then blank the hole off.

(The motor seems to take up a lot of space in the air-box that if removed would promote better air-flow.)

What should I do with the little hose that goes into the air-box??

Would it be safe just to put a little bung in the end, or should it be left open?

Thanks, Mark

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
I pulled everything out all that was left was an ITG foam filter and a plastic box, I unscrewed and removed everything in the airbox, hoses, motors, wires etc etc! :D

Not sure what you mean about the hose or hole that needs to be bunged, I'll check later...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The hole I am referring to will be when I remove the actuator-thing on top of the air-box (that lifts the metal hook up and down which opens/closes the flap), when removed there will be a small hole that will need blanking off otherwise detrimental hot air from the engine bay will get sucked in. Looking at the top of the air box it is at the very back.

The vacuum hose I was referring to is the very thin (approx 3 mm) hose that comes from the engine area and connects to another little hose (same size) and then disappears into the front of the air-box, this in turn feeds into the motor screwed to the top of the air-box (which in turn feeds to the actuator thing).

The hose presumably is vacuum/pressure fed from somewhere in the engine and sucks/blows when the engine reaches 4.5k revs which in turn switches on the motor which opens the flap.

……My question is whether something should be done with the hose, i.e. whether it should be plugged in some way or whether it is just safe to leave open.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave

Did a bit of investigating on the internet and found out about the ‘Y’ piece, this would have been put in when the car was converted from Cooper-S to JCW.

The only question I have now is what do I replace the Y’ piece with? Presumably it will need a male-to-male connector?

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Ahh see I don't think I have that bit as the JCW was never previously installed on my car as a standard unit, I changed it all before fitting...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, but not sure I correctly understand you?

When the JCW air-box is retrofitted to the Cooper-S a vacuum hose somewhere is interrupted and a ‘Y’ piece is fitted so as to run a separate vacuum pipe to the air-box (which in turn indirectly opens and closes the air-flap).

I think I either need to plug the pipe going to the air-box, or trace it back to the Y-piece and actually remove the Y-piece and reconnect the original vacuum hose back together; presumably I will need a male-to-male connector.

I couldn’t swear by it until I see the car, but I think the vacuum hose that goes into the air-box actually connects to a hose already in the top section of the air-box by means of a little white plastic male-to-male connector, presumably I could use this.

I'd rather do things tidily and remove the length of pipe going to the Y-piece and remove the Y-piece itself rather than just plugging the pipe.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
I'm confused because there was nothing left in my airbox, not a single thing except the air filter element. I don't remember a hole that would be exposed to the engine bay. Sorry I can't help more. :confused:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve been thinking about this, presume you must either have:

A Cooper-S rather than a JCW, in which case you’ve never had to worry about the hoses.

Or you have the JCW Motorsport air-box, this did away with the flap that opens/closes and therefore the motor and all the vacuum pipes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took all the gubbins, wires and vacuum-hose out of the air-box yesterday.

With regards the vacuum hose going into the air-box, it is possible to trace it back to the ‘Y’ piece, remove said Y-piece and then join the original hose back together but it would have been a pain in the arse as probably would’ve needed to take the supercharger off (or have the hands of a 4-year old).

In the end there is nothing wrong with leaving the vacuum hose attached to the Y-piece but obviously if leaving it in place need to plug the end.

…..so one suitable plastic screw/plug later and bonza.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts