MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I have an '05 MCS. Obviously since I already have the vehicle I do not have LSD. I had heard before that the LSD would bump the Mini into D Stock, but now I hear it will remain in G Stock. Also, back when I was ordering my MCS there was no pricing available for the LSD, now I hear it will be $500. So, . . .my problem is - should I sell my '05 MCS and buy another with the LSD, or just add an LSD to my vehicle? Pro's for selling and getting one with LSD is - it's only a $500 option and would be covered by the warranty. By looking at forums here and there I have figured it will cost between $800 to $1,100 to have an aftermarket LSD installed, which will not carry a warranty and may void my current warranty. Con's for selling and getting one with LSD is I would have to wait again for a new Mini, have to endure yet another break in period and I might end up losing more than the $300 to $600 price difference in getting the factory LSD.

So, let's hear what you guys/girls have to say.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hammer: I don't think that the factory warranty is meant to cover repairs to racing ab-use. I mean a mini road rally with the local club is one thing. SCCA runoffs or regional type competition is another thing.

If you are racing, that is what Sponsors are for!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To Paul: I was thinking of getting an aftermarket LSD that is mechanically compariable to the factory LSD. Based on my interpretation of the SCCA (USA) rule book, since the '05 has an LSD as an option, I could add it to my vehicle and stay in GS. And further based upon my interp of the rules, as long as the LSD I install is mechanically the same as the OEM LSD, I should be ok.

DrDiff: There is a guy in my local autocross club that just got his transaxle replaced under warranty, and the service dept is well aware of his involvement in autocrossing. So I don't forsee that being a problem, at least at the dealer in my area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"DrDiff: There is a guy in my local autocross club that just got his transaxle replaced under warranty, and the service dept is well aware of his involvement in autocrossing. So I don't forsee that being a problem, at least at the dealer in my area."

Assumption is the mother of all F$$# ups

1 - 5 of 5 Posts