MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Future Mini Driver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been asked already in another thread, sorry if it has.

If I buy a brand new Mini instead of a used one, it will be a base model ($17.5k).

In the New England area...

1. How likely would it be that I could get a base model, do dealers stock them? How long would it take if I order one from the factory?

2. What are the going rates for Minis around here? Are the dealers still marking them up above sticker, or have they started to discount yet?

Any info would be helpful

Thanks, Kyle

·
heh...lame
2,422 Posts
I can answer #2 - Since you are in NH you would probably want to go to MINI of Peabody. Not just because they rock, but because they are closest to you. They sell at MSRP and have never sold above sticker. Unfortunately you still won't get it for less than MSRP but that's not a bad deal for a kick ass car.

·
kgouin
481 Posts
Mine took 3 months to come in. Ordered it May 8th and brought it home on August 4th. It sat in NJ for a week before they would release it because of the sticker or something on the '05s. I could have actually had it earlier if I had gone to MOP a day earlier. I called on a Friday and they said there was one spot left for ordering on the order going in soon and I went Saturday morning and the spot was gone! I had to order on the next batch to be made. It worked out well though because I ended up with an '05 instead of an '04.

·
likes pork
56 Posts
If you are lucky enough to find a mini available in stock, it will have options on it. Dealers wouldn't order a car to stock without at least partially loading it up... even if they are really cool like Mini of Peabody ;)

Best thing to do would be to place the order. You can get the exact color combo you want, without all the options you don't want. Depending on your timing, it will be between 60 and 90 days until your car comes in.

If you're really impatient like me... you can just start calling around (there are not that many mini dealers in NE) and asking if they have any available cars coming in. I found my new one at Mini of the Hamptons and hosed one of my friends into taking a day trip with me to pick up the car :D

As far as pricing... well, Mini of the Hamptons stuffed floormats down my throat but I didn't mind that much. Other than that, you can expect to pay sticker price and possibly a dealer prep fee (Mini of Peabody's was $125 if I remember correctly). Don't forget to get a second opinion on the interest rate from your local credit union if you're financing. ;)

·
Future Mini Driver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up everyone..

I have decided to definitely go the brand new route...I can easily afford it so what the heck, right? My parents will obviously have to agree to it, but they're coming around quicker than I thought.

I'm leaning toward the liquid yellow/ black roof, with a 5 speed and xenon headlights...I priced it out to $18.xxx which is affordable for me. (I'll be 18 when I get it)

I'm waiting until the summer, so I'm not ready to start calling up dealerships looking for cars just yet. My current car's value is sinking faster than you can believe, hopefully it doesn't lose much more value in the next six months or so.

I'm going with my mom next weekend to test drive one at Mini of Peabody, I haven't driven one yet so I'll let everyone know how that goes. I can't imagine I won't like it. For people who have gone on test drives at Mini of Peabody, does the salesperson tag along? I hate that, but I can deal with it I guess. Also, does anyone have a salesperson they'd recommend? If you do, that would be great.

-Kyle

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Especially if you're 18, I'd expect the salesperson to come along, but they usually sit in the back (especially if your mom is with you, she should sit in the passenger seat) and if they start talking to you while driving, nicely ask them to be quiet. Otherwise ignore that they're there - you're test driving the car, you're not pampering it, rev it up, run it through the paces, its your time to find out what it can do.

Xenons are overrated as the only option. Spend $550 on something else besides pretty blue headlights.

I have Xenons, but there's about 10 options I'd choose before them, the normal headlights are pretty good. Even fog lights are better then Xenons as a single option.

·
heh...lame
2,422 Posts
Talk to Hrach and go on a test drive with him.

I think now the salesperson gets the car out onto Rt. 1. It's tough to get out there especially on a standard car that you aren't used to. They bring it to where you can really drive then switch seats. At least I saw that happen at MOP a few times before.

·
Future Mini Driver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stryder said:
Xenons are overrated as the only option. Spend $550 on something else besides pretty blue headlights.
I may pay the extra $300 and get the sunroof instead...it will probably be more useful than the xenons. Thanks for the tip

·
Future Mini Driver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pezboy said:
Talk to Hrach and go on a test drive with him.

I think now the salesperson gets the car out onto Rt. 1. It's tough to get out there especially on a standard car that you aren't used to. They bring it to where you can really drive then switch seats. At least I saw that happen at MOP a few times before.
Alright...fair enough.

I definitely won't test drive a standard, I imagine they would have an auto demo car as well. While I can drive standards ok, I'm still just learning and I know I'd end up making an idiot of myself in front of the salesman, so I'll stick with the auto for now.

I'll ask for Hrach when I go...is that who sold you your car?

·
heh...lame
2,422 Posts
Oh, I thought you had said you were getting a 5-speed...my mistake.

I didn't buy mine from Hrach, no...but I heard his test drives are awesome as he will tell you to take corners harder and faster!

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
MiniMadness87 said:
Alright...fair enough.

I definitely won't test drive a standard, I imagine they would have an auto demo car as well. While I can drive standards ok, I'm still just learning and I know I'd end up making an idiot of myself in front of the salesman, so I'll stick with the auto for now.

I'll ask for Hrach when I go...is that who sold you your car?
If you get Hrach for a test drive do not bring your mother along. Unless she's a big fan of Fear Factor, NASCAR, etc. Hrach tends to take the car to the limit.

Or maybe he's mellowed?

·
Future Mini Driver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pezboy said:
Oh, I thought you had said you were getting a 5-speed...my mistake.

I didn't buy mine from Hrach, no...but I heard his test drives are awesome as he will tell you to take corners harder and faster!
No, you were right...I do want a standard. I want to test drive the auto though because I'm not ready to drive the 5 speed yet. When it gets closer to purchase time, i'll take another test drive with a 5 speed.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Oh to be almost 18 again. Test the standard first time out. Tell Hrach or any of the guys that you are not Schumacher yet with the gearbox. If Hrach, get Mom a Xanax first.

And your color choices are the best. :cool: You will join an elite group of MINI owners who view all others with badly hidden contempt ;) ;) ;)

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
jcsinnh said:
Oh to be almost 18 again. Test the standard first time out. Tell Hrach or any of the guys that you are not Schumacher yet with the gearbox. If Hrach, get Mom a Xanax first.

And your color choices are the best. :cool: You will join an elite group of MINI owners who view all others with badly hidden contempt ;) ;) ;)
John. You're selling yours, right? Why not hook up with this kid? Could be a good thing for you both. He needs to wait to get one, you need to wait for delivery. He gets a "better" MINI (S rather than a Cooper) that has had premium care and a fine legacy.

Call me crazy.

But this could work. Do I get a commision if this happens?

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
HI Kyle. Don't listen to these oldtimers. They bought their cars years ago. ;)

Absolutely go to Mini of Peabody (MOP). Take 95s and take the exit for 114W, then quickly turn onto rt1s, it will be at the top of the hill.

I think all the salespeople at MOP are great, not like your normal dealership. Everyone loves Hrach, if for nothing else probably because his handlebar mustache and name will scare your mom! Or you might like Joel, who was my salesperson, you may prefer him because he is young.

You usually need to schedule your test drive. Call the dealer a few days before (ask for hur-rach if you want to) then tell them you would like a test drive of a base MINI. Don't test drive the S because you will instantly want one! But absolutely test drive the standard. An auto box always leaves a bad first impression, and that's not what you want. I always screw up on test driving manuals, the salespeople see it with everyone they drive with, don't worry about it. It's the tester car, it's there to be beaten on! :)

My other advice is leave your mom behind. OK that probably won't be possible, but we all know you will have a much more "creative" and fun test drive.

I also feel the HIDs are overrated. Most won't agree but I don't think they're worth paying extra for if they're not included in a car. My MINI was 30 grand yet I have no HIDs...there are many more options that are more useful! If I were to recommend one single option, it would be the sport suspension plus.

Also please keep your mind open and consider a used MINI. You may find something as many like to upgrade by trading up after only a year or two, and you may end up getting plenty of extras for the price of a base.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
jwardell said:
HI Kyle. Don't listen to these oldtimers. They bought their cars years ago. ;)

Also please keep your mind open and consider a used MINI. You may find something as many like to upgrade by trading up after only a year or two, and you may end up getting plenty of extras for the price of a base.
Does anyone see a problem with this logic. I would be happy to talk to anyone about my 2003 LY/B MCS with (when it's available) @ 40K miles in showroom condition.

I'll commission you, JB. You'd look cute in a beret. Especially with that knob in your mouth. Kinda like a mutant from that James Bond flic featuring whatshisname with the stainless chompers.

·
heh...lame
2,422 Posts
I would never buy a car from a SMOKER.

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
pezboy said:
I would never buy a car from a SMOKER.
It's easy getting out the stench of ciggys. Much harder getting out the dried up mosh pit blood.

Benefits of used: Less excise tax (do they have that in NH?), less sales tax (again, speaking from a Massachusetts point of view), it'll be a MINI that has had the niggles worked out of it (though I hear yours was built on a good week, not too many issues as mine), ability to get "more" or a car for less money, the majority of the initial depreciation has taken it's toll, and the ability to go and find the previous owner in order to punch his lights out when you find out he lied to you. But as I said before jcs isn't too much of a coyboy on the road. I hear he only uses 6th gear on the way to church on Sundays.

If you'd sell at near what MoP offered you as a trade in it would be quite the deal I think.

Speaking of cars for sale, what do you think of an Innocenti for under $4,000? 70,000 miles stated, body showing as pretty much rust free? Should I go for it? Needs restoration, but it's a runner.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Yup, I smoke cigarettes and an occasional cigar (never the latter in the car, though). However, young koiboy, you realize by your public criticism you have opened a wide door. For example, I could say, "I'd never buy a car from a driver who can't keep track of his registration and drives illegally and worse, gets caught doing so."

Or I could say, "I'd never buy a car that has had as many problems with wheels and tires as pezboy's. Some of them, at least, must have been driver error."

Or I could say....nah, JB already talked about the blood bit.

So, I could say all those things and more but I won't. I smoke tobacco and you don't smoke...............anything? No? Good on ya, mate. ;) ;) ;)

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
jcsinnh said:
So, I could say all those things and more but I won't. I smoke tobacco and you don't smoke...............anything? No? Good on ya, mate. ;) ;) ;)
Now John, Pez is only expressing a point of view that many people have. 'Course that doesn't make him right, but he does have a point. Sounds like there's a tag team of CCM and JCS going up againt the pacifist Pez at the next MINI meet? I, of course, being the devil's advocate, rooting for the underdog and all those persecuted, will be Pez's second. Be aware that I may have a knob of some sort in my hand helping me out.

But to get back on track, Mr. 87 would be doing himself a disservice if he neglects to at least meet up and take a look at your MINI.

The Innocenti I spoke of earlier went on eBay for almost $4800. Was up in Nashua NH somewhere.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.