MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Saltire
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Off to look at a second hand 02 plate Cooper tonight for my sons first car...

Was wondering if anyone could give me a couple of pointers on good/bad things to look for when i give it the once over...

Any help appreciated...

Cheers..

Jim

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
gearbox failure is the biggest problem on these, well in the terms of expense, that should be fairly easy to spot;)

but recommend maybe he takes out some warranty to cover himself on it with someone like warranty direct, as its not a cheap job to have done.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
How old is your son? Try a One - the insurance on a cooper as a first car is ridiculously high and you'd get a higher spec/newer one. Other than that, check the clutch etc - they are known to regularly fail.

·
MINI & other ½ both whine
519 Posts
Just make sure you buy the genuine article and not a fake! :confused:.

Here's how to 'Spot the Difference', I think I may have been had over :rolleyes: :p :D (the fakes the one on the left ;) :p).

Attachments

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Oh and try to make sure if you do get a Cooper to pick one up that has Chilli pack, as these will give him the essentials and also help it retain value better;)

Multifunctional steering wheel is another good thing to have on the car too if you can:)

·
Saltire
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How old is your son? Try a One - the insurance on a cooper as a first car is ridiculously high and you'd get a higher spec/newer one. Other than that, check the clutch etc - they are known to regularly fail.
Thanks...

I managed to get a quote of £1400 fully comp from quinn direct, seems very reasonable...

on the other side the dearest i got was an astonishing £32500.... :biggrin:

·
Saltire
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers...

What does the clicking suggest is wrong...???

The power steering pump seemed very noisy, but they said they would fix that...

The enggine seemed fine, no rattles or clunks when revving...

He is also getting a 6month warranty from th egarage, so should cover any major breakdowns i would think....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Check for clicking from the steering column when turning the wheel
agree with mikey, 1st thing I noticed on my old '02 cooper was a clicking steering column ( when turning right) which was and I quote by the BMW mechanic " something they all do"!! Lived with it and realised it was a known problem with the pump failing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Jim, if it has the full BMW service history up until now then fine, but the fact that you've noticed the clicking in the steering now is a concern and the fact that they'll say they'll 'Fix it' after the fact fires up some questions. If its an independent dealer you're buying from, I would have a slight concern as its outside warranty and the car could have been passed on without it being checked.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks...

I managed to get a quote of £1400 fully comp from quinn direct, seems very reasonable...

Is that with him on a provisional or a full uk driving license?

Reason being one of my friends got his first car about a month ago (citroen saxo 1.1) and quinn was the best deal with £1100 but that was with him on a provisional and he passed his test a couple of weeks ago and went to phone them up to get his details changed to full uk license and they then told him his insurance had gone up to £4200:eek:

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Cheers...

What does the clicking suggest is wrong...???

The power steering pump seemed very noisy, but they said they would fix that...

The enggine seemed fine, no rattles or clunks when revving...

He is also getting a 6month warranty from th egarage, so should cover any major breakdowns i would think....
Power steering pump is always noisy, but you need to watch out for a clicking noise more;)

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-fixes/42815-knock-felt-through-steering-wheel.html

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-fixes/158443-steering-clunky.html

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-fixes/149840-steering-rack.html

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-fixes/141143-clicking-noise-steering-column.html

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Thanks...

Seems resonable, remember one of my first policies costing £1200 on an old J reg Cooper:)

·
Saltire
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is that with him on a provisional or a full uk driving license?

Reason being one of my friends got his first car about a month ago (citroen saxo 1.1) and quinn was the best deal with £1100 but that was with him on a provisional and he passed his test a couple of weeks ago and went to phone them up to get his details changed to full uk license and they then told him his insurance had gone up to £4200:eek:
How you doing...??

Yeah, i did a quote on the basis of him passing and it went way up, also did one on him passing and me insuring and putting him as named driver.. That came in at £1600...

So i think we will go with quinn on a 3rd party fire and theft until he passes.. thats only £900, and only cause we will cancel in a few months when he passes.. .

Jim.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Im good thanks, you?

Saw you the other day on the dual carraigeway beside goals think it was sat bout 4ish lol i did wave but theres no way you would of seen me:p one day!

Thats good you have checked it out cos you might of got a shock like my friend did:p

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ok your gonna think im stalkin you now, jus back from the shops (seafield shops) saw you again drivin along with your window down and specs on:p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts