1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have got 16" 5 star wheels and need some new tyers soon

i have 195/55/16 goodyear excellence run flats on

i was thinkin about getting non run flats formore road feel ect

is it best to stick to the size i have got on?

so what tyers are best? with thoughts to performance, cost ect

thanks
Rob

·
I love my toy
12 Posts
ive just ordered some new yokohama s-drives. they are supposed to be an excellent tire. brand new design (they are replacing the parada spec-2). decent pricing, very sticky and great hydro plaining resistance.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
With your car, you won't have the mobility kit, so if you have a puncture, you will be stranded. Apparently, non runflats are better for handling etc. However, the main problem is you will not have matching tread patterns which is a safety feature and does make your car look old. How many miles have you done on your tyres? If we knew that and the price, we would have a better idea of how good or not so good value they are!

I'd stick to the standard size until you can change all 4, then see the thread about changing the tyre size on OEM wheels. Don't do it until you are out of warranty / TLC etc.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Changing width and/or profile will make your speedo read slightly out. It's not a big difference but I would keep with the same size tyre.

If you do change to non runflats you must change all 4 tyres at the same time. Also I've read some insurance companys have been a bit funny about Mini's on normal tyres i.e they won't cover you. So best check with your insurance to say if it's ok with them.
Also worth a look is a can or two of Tyre Weld gives you a bit more security if you did go for normal tyres.

As for what tyres are best, probably easier you decide on runflats or not and you will get better advice.

However, the main problem is you will not have matching tread patterns which is a safety feature and does make your car look old.
Not sure what you mean about matching tread patterns as long as you change tyres by axle i.e keep fronts the same, keep rears the same but front and rear tyres don't have to match.

·
Registered
460 Posts
^^ what Rod said, you can run 205/55/16 which is what i am on my 16's but tell your insurance as some are picky, im running toyo proxes tr1's but theres a lot of choice in 205/55/16 have a look at Tyres online @ Blackcircles.com: discount tyre dealers for car tyres, 4x4 and motorbike tyres

dont worry about not having runflats few cans of holts tire weld fills and re inflates the tyre from a can

changing tyres will not affect the warranty or tlc so thats not a worry, best thing is ditch all four tyres at once.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Changing width and/or profile will make your speedo read slightly out. It's not a big difference but I would keep with the same size tyre.

If you do change to non runflats you must change all 4 tyres at the same time. Also I've read some insurance companys have been a bit funny about Mini's on normal tyres i.e they won't cover you. So best check with your insurance to say if it's ok with them.
Also worth a look is a can or two of Tyre Weld gives you a bit more security if you did go for normal tyres.

As for what tyres are best, probably easier you decide on runflats or not and you will get better advice.

Not sure what you mean about matching tread patterns as long as you change tyres by axle i.e keep fronts the same, keep rears the same but front and rear tyres don't have to match.
Oh, I thought that all 4 had to be the same! Still, I suppose I like all 4 looking the same!

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
that size will make the speedo over read, 205/55/16 will make it under read, both however are within the recommended 3% variation :) ive attached a screen shot from the tyre size calculator
205/55-16 tires have a larger overall diameter than 205/50-16 which means slower acceleration.

205/50-16 is by far the size most choose:

·
Registered
460 Posts
205/55-16 tires have a larger overall diameter than 205/50-16 which means slower acceleration.

205/50-16 is by far the size most choose:
i didn't say either / or was better i simply said both are in the allowed 3% meaning any difference in acceleration is going to be minimal. Listing stats is not always the correct answer as just because its popular does not mean its right or wrong.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i think non runflats would be best for me

will just have to get a few cans of tyer foam

so, 205/50-16 the best to go for?

i was thinking Toyo Proxes T1-R?
or anyone got other sugestions?

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I run Nangkang NS2 sports ... cheap as chips, and in the dry on a warm road they are almost as good as anything out there IMO. In the wet they are a little slippery when compared to some brands.... but they are half the price of most other brands!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I currently have 205/40/18 W have been looking for some new tyres that arent run flats and there only seem to be about 3 different tyres i can choose from.

What stats can i change or are recommended for a wider choice??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Forgive the stupidity but i thought that 205 was the width measure of the tyre......how do 215's fit onto my alloy?? Wont they be too wide?

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
no ... the lip of the tyre still goes into your tyre ok. usually you can go 2 or so width sizes up or down from standard without a problem. eg if stock 205/45 then you can go 215 or even 225 (but often its a good idea to go down a size on the hieght, eg go from a 45% profile to a 40....otherwise the tyre is more likely to scrub on the arches. I run 215/45 tyres and the car is custom lowered on adjustable spax ... it does not rub at all even with 1 or 2 in the back....but the ride is stiffer so that may help.

R

1 - 20 of 28 Posts