MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what sort of money I'll get back from my 05 MCS? I bought it from Cooper Tunbridge Wells back in March for £13.5k. I'm getting it valued Monday by them again but I'll doubt they'll give me much more then £10k?!

I'm having quite a bit of trouble selling it with NO interest!

eBay link doesn't work but its item number 320292364876

Thanks,

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Hi...looks like a nice car. Quite a few people of come on the forum to ask about pricing and i think most will say that the current climate in the economy is not good news for selling cars.

I think 10K+ for a private sale is reasonable but with the way things are at the moment....all bets are off.

I think a dealer will offer you well under £10K. I purchased my MCS JCW back in May for just over £13K and overall had similar options to yours. They had another one in stock with slightly different options on at just under £14K and a week later they had reduced that to £12750!!!:confused:

My advice would be to be patient with the private sale. The right buyer will be out there but with current conditions there will probably only be 1 in 1000 rather than 1 in 100 people being interested....if that makes sense.

Good luck with the sale....love pepper white.

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
You'd be lucky to get £13.5k buy it now!! Good luck with the sale!

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,165 Posts
I've just done and online valuation with Whatcar on an S of that age, plate & mileage and, without options, the costs were:

Dealer £10,421

Private £9,786

Part Ex £9,056

Cost New £15,300

This doesn't take into account the value of extras, though only the Chilli Pack is likely to make a difference to the price. I would expect a valuation around £9,500 , provided that they are actually looking to add to their current stock :(

Sorry.

Tigger.

·
Registered
460 Posts
my mate just had his 05 s valued for trade in and his is a very high spec aero kit works seats etc and the dealer only offered him 8k mcs's are now becoming worth less and less because of the new tax rules while coopers and ones are holding their value

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,165 Posts
my mate just had his 05 s valued for trade in and his is a very high spec aero kit works seats etc and the dealer only offered him 8k mcs's are now becoming worth less and less because of the new tax rules while coopers and ones are holding their value
True, but completely amazing all the same!!!

There are MINI owners who accept that they have to pay £1,000 , £2,000 or even £3,000 a year for their insurance, pay many thousands of punds a year in finance, suffer horrendous depreciation hits, yet the potential to save £150 a year on their RFL has a huge influence on their buying decisions! :rolleyes: Why?!!! :confused:

Fortunately, I've absolutely no intention of ever parting with mine, so it's actual cash value is little more than achedemic!

Freedo: Yours is a really nice MINI; do you absolutely have to sell?

Tigger.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
We were looking at buying either a cooper or an 's' back in June and were looking to spend 10-11k. If we had got a Cooper we would have saved £300 on insurance, £100 or so much on Tax and there would have been petrol savings too, but from the difference in test drive we could definatly see that the Cooper S was worth all the extra to have one.
If tax goes up again and petrol does too, then I still will not regret buying it.
We bought from a dealer, and even in the current economic climate were very reluctant in giving discounts but I feel we got a good deal compared to buying privatly.
As long as you stay competative compared to the dealers you will get a sale eventually.

·
I get my kicks in an R56
481 Posts
And of course with the market being as slow as it is, unless you are actually part exchanging they will try and kick you hard.

We've been buying cars which will fall into the new 'Band M' tax band for as much as £5000 behind CAP average

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies....

And yes, I need to sell due to starting up a new business. I'll let you know what Cooper offer me tomorrow.

So, as it stands I'll be lucky to get around 11/2k privately?! Compared to other S's out there it seems a very fair price.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for all the replies....

And yes, I need to sell due to starting up a new business. I'll let you know what Cooper offer me tomorrow.

So, as it stands I'll be lucky to get around 11/2k privately?! Compared to other S's out there it seems a very fair price.
Privately is the best way to sell to make most money, garages will undercut you alot, even if you part ex to be fair they have to make money i went to a garage about my cooper s which at the time i had owned about 9 months i bought it for 10,495 and they offered me 6!!!! so i ****ed that idea off lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried Webuyanycar already, they offered me £8,600!! No thanks,

Even at £10k I have nooo interest! :eek:

·
Registered
373 Posts
And of course with the market being as slow as it is, unless you are actually part exchanging they will try and kick you hard.

We've been buying cars which will fall into the new 'Band M' tax band for as much as £5000 behind CAP average
they try to kick you hard anyway!!!! they offered me 6K for my cooper s when they are selling for around 8,500!!!! so i tuned mine up to cheer me up!! lol

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
Hey people i enquired out of interest about how much my s is worth. Its an 06 with areo kit full (front and back) grey/white recaro interior, chilli pack plus other bits and pieces and they offered me 11k, decided that to get a similar spec r56 it was going to be another 10k, and in my opinion the r56 isnt 10k better (not on my budget)!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here is one for you

R56 Cooper in Chili Red with Black Roof/Caps
Chili Pack
Black Lounge Leather
Auto Air Con
17" Flame Spoke Alloys
ASC+ T
Piano Black Interior Trim
Park Distance Control
Sat Nav
Voice Control System
Hifi Speaker System
Bluetooth with USB Audio
Xenons
Chrome Line Interior
White Side Repeaters
TLC
JCW Aero Kit

Done 20,000 miles

No need to say that is a well speced car!!

Brought brand new in Jan for a lot of money, enquired about maybe part exing for something else.

Offer from dealer £12,000, your having a laugh ain't you!! I know some of the items on the spec don't hold value but come on we all know you will sell for at least and I mean at least £15k!!

Deano

·
I get my kicks in an R56
481 Posts
Heaven forbid the dealer trying to make a profit!!

Threads like this do confuse me a little. Of course a dealer will offer you less than a private sale, but then you avoid the hassle of selling it yourself and forget about what they will sell it for, that is after all their purpose!! Do you go into tesco and say your not paying x amount for beans because they didn't pay that much!!??

Freedo - you say you have had little interest in your car at £10k, try dropping the price until you do get some interest. If no one rings at 10k, perhaps the price is wrong???

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,165 Posts
Here is one for you

R56 Cooper in Chili Red with Black Roof/Caps
Chili Pack
Black Lounge Leather
Auto Air Con
17" Flame Spoke Alloys
ASC+ T
Piano Black Interior Trim
Park Distance Control
Sat Nav
Voice Control System
Hifi Speaker System
Bluetooth with USB Audio
Xenons
Chrome Line Interior
White Side Repeaters
TLC
JCW Aero Kit

Done 20,000 miles

No need to say that is a well speced car!!

Brought brand new in Jan for a lot of money, enquired about maybe part exing for something else.

Offer from dealer £12,000, your having a laugh ain't you!! I know some of the items on the spec don't hold value but come on we all know you will sell for at least and I mean at least £15k!!

Deano
What is depressing is that, out of the entire list of extras that you have, only the Chilli Pack will hold any value on a trade in... :(

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
This is precisely why I've learnt my lesson with spec since the last car I owned (Audi A3).
I only have the pepper pack + a multi function steering wheel. To be honest this is really the only thing most of us need- I'm happy with air con and cruise control for longer drives. The rest is there- mini's great looks- handling & build quality.
On an MCS I agree that the chili pack is essential though but the rest (one, cooper & cooper D) the pepper pack is plenty. In 2 years time I should get a fair chunk of my money back, even from the dealer.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Heaven forbid the dealer trying to make a profit!!

Threads like this do confuse me a little. Of course a dealer will offer you less than a private sale, but then you avoid the hassle of selling it yourself and forget about what they will sell it for, that is after all their purpose!! Do you go into tesco and say your not paying x amount for beans because they didn't pay that much!!??

Freedo - you say you have had little interest in your car at £10k, try dropping the price until you do get some interest. If no one rings at 10k, perhaps the price is wrong???
whats confusing?? that people get upset about loosing so much money????
i think unless your an idiot you understand about overheads and that the dealer has a profit margin?? and they have at they may not sell your car straight away further lowering your car's price (thus cutting the profit for them)

i dont use tesco its over price, i go round to netto (scandinavian for value!!)
i also dont think taking a 3k loss on the price of your car is worth it to "avoid the hassle of selling it yourself!!" and that isnt the purpose of a dealer, "good morning sir i'm not here to sell a car to you i'm here solomly to sell your car for you??!!!"

anyway nice attempt at sarcasm! cheers!

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
I don't think you'd have to drop the price TOO much below 10k to start to get interest. It depends on how quickly you need to sell your car really. I've sold a few cars, and each time being patient has paid off. You'll get a few punters offering you joke amounts at first, but if you can wait, you'll find the right person who really wants YOUR car and will pay you a fair price. On your car, I'd say that's about 10k, plus or minus.

The only problem at the moment is that there's relatively fewer people looking for MCSs than a year or two ago, so you might just have to wait a bit longer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts